shape
carat
color
clarity

THE TIME HAS COME | CAD Renderings

Mailin

Rough_Rock
For the people following my tragic experience, here are the CAD renderings from the new vendor as requested. Please let me know what you think of course!

EDIT: Information on gem size and original design request.

THE GEM
Cut
• Cushion
Type
• Montana Sapphire
Color
• Blue/Green
Size
• 2.17ct

RING FEATURES
Metal
• 14k rose gold, we love the warm look and think it will accentuate the gem.
Finger Size
Ring Type
• Halo with diamond melee, ideally being very tight around the gem and dainty in size.
Pave Type
• U Cut, there are many paving styles but we think this is the style we like most.
Shank Type
• Single band into a narrow split shank. Split to sit as high as possible on band.
Shank Thickness
• Want the metal to be thin and the width as close to 2mm as possible to match band.
Prong Type
• Single Eagle Claw

_37787.jpg

_37788.jpg

_37789.jpg

_37790.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
❤❤❤❤❤

awesome!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks good for a first CAD, but I would extend the split shank just a little further down. I also think the split part is spread a little too wide at the halo.

To me, Victor Canera's proportions are perfect for that style setting:

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-anne-marie-split-shank-halo

As far as I can tell, his has 5 little diamonds down the split shank before it changes to the single shank with larger stones. You can also see that the Y is not spread quite as far apart as yours is.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree on extending the split shank. Also the gallery needs to be tighter and less bowl like, IMO.

Mailin

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice, I do agree with them. Question, what is the proper terminology to use when referring to the melee prongs. I do not want them to be rounded/riveted style of prongs. I am not sure of the available styles but I would want something as similar to the eagle prongs that are going to hold them gem.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You hopefully have seen the work of this bench and can refer to examples that they have done. The pave and shank prongs are something that usually do not need to be discussed with good ring makers. It should be so tiny that you don't even notice. I would show them Victor's example ring and tell them you want it done like that one with the exception of the petal gallery. His just is proportioned better and the pave is done extremely well.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the ring is going to be stunning. :appl: I concur with others that the basket around the gallery is too bowl-like and may prevent a wedding band sitting flush. You may also want to discuss with the bench about how much the ring could be re-sized in the future. If you have not, you might chat with her mom (and grand-mothers if you can) about how much their finger size changed over time. That should set you in a good direction to know how much change she might experience. Finally, for a prong-heavy design, bring along a finely knit sweater or scarf (cashmere is ideal, fine merino wool will do; you can get one at a charity shop). Run it over the prongs once the ring is done and you are still at the jewelers'. That should help let you know if any prongs need a bit of adjustment. {my antique selling grandmother's trick!}

Mailin

Rough_Rock
New renderings after the suggested changes. Thoughts & Opinions Welcomed!

I addressed my concern on the style of prongs for the melee and ended up changing it from the shared prongs which is what he originally was going to do. To the style of prongs (name unknown) that was done on the previous finished ring.

He pushed in the gallery and changed the split angles and distance.

He also noted in the email that there will be additional petals added to the inside of the split area, once I decide on a final design.

mahlon5.jpg

mahlon6.jpg

mahlon7.jpg

mahlon8.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would still take the split down. You see the top large diamond on the shank? Have them remove that and extend the shank down to that point.

I like the gallery better.

Your stone should sit ON the halo. So the halo should be slightly smaller than the stone. So the girdle is right above the opening.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mailin

Rough_Rock
Posting from my phone, so hopefully this all works fine.

Here are the renderings with the split lowered. He said that the setter will ultimately decide how the gem fits and he will forward my image for reference. Same as before with the petals will be placed inside the split area once a design is decided.

Let me know what you guys think.

_37880.jpg

_37881.jpg

_37882.jpg

_37883.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the split lowered. I never understood having the split going so high that you have to turn your ring at an angle to actually see
the split. I guess my attitude is why bother to even do the split? This split is nicer because you can see it when looking down at the top
of your ring. I personally would go lower but that's just me.

Mailin

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1469471345|4059143 said:
I like the split lowered. I never understood having the split going so high that you have to turn your ring at an angle to actually see
the split. I guess my attitude is why bother to even do the split? This split is nicer because you can see it when looking down at the top
of your ring. I personally would go lower but that's just me.

--- I originally wanted it to be high and tight, so you couldn't/barely see it from the top view. Now that time has went on and I went through the process of these style changes. I really fancy the most recent rendering.

Sunfish

Shiny_Rock
Are you okay with the wedding band not being flush fit? That donut at the bottom of the basket could be made smaller to accomodate a wedding band if you wanted. I don't mind a gap, but that will be a big one. It's looking really nice, can't wait to see it completed!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is much better. The petals are going to cause the gap. Halo rings that don't have much gap usually have pieces that curve inward more to allow a band to sit closer.

Hmm, I am not understanding the 4 gaps in the diamond halo. I think that is something that needs to be fixed.

See this ring again? Look at the top of the halo. There is no gap in the halo where the prongs are that hold the center stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1469502470|4059327 said:
I think this is much better. The petals are going to cause the gap. Halo rings that don't have much gap usually have pieces that curve inward more to allow a band to sit closer.

Hmm, I am not understanding the 4 gaps in the diamond halo. I think that is something that needs to be fixed.

See this ring again? Look at the top of the halo. There is no gap in the halo where the prongs are that hold the center stone.

Read my mind. The split on the shank is very nice now. I don't know that I'd do other petals.

But the halo gaps where the prongs are would bug the ever-loving-heck out of me.

Also, how big are the big diamonds in the shank, where it is a single shank?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks good to my eyes. The split shank looks more balanced now.
The petals are beautiful, but you will have a large gap between this ring and the wedding band. I personally love the look, but it's not for everyone. If you want the rings to sit more flush, the donut needs to be smaller and the petals need to be replaced for inward curving stems.

The thing I surely would change are the gaps in the halo as seen from the top.

Mailin

Rough_Rock
I sent him an email late last night addressing the space in the corners of the halo and he said the following and a wedding band fitment.

Finding a ready to fit band will be hard to find, but since he has the designs on hand he can easily make band that will work with the ring.

Due to my request to have the halo fit as tight as possible to gem the prongs cause interference with those 4 locations. The 20 melee being used in the halo will be 1.1mm in size. He recommended that he can have 4 diamonds placed in the gaps, but sized appropriately to the 4 locations.

I am not too sure how I feel about the 4 smaller not matching the others.

Mailin

Rough_Rock
I sent him an email late last night addressing the space in the corners of the halo and he said the following and a wedding band fitment.

Finding a ready to fit band will be hard to find, but since he has the designs on hand he can easily make band that will work with the ring.

Due to my request to have the halo fit as tight as possible to gem the prongs cause interference with those 4 locations. The 20 melee being used in the halo will be 1.1mm in size. He recommended that he can have 4 diamonds placed in the gaps, but sized appropriately to the 4 locations.

I am not too sure how I feel about the 4 smaller not matching the others.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
The prong placement seems... off. I am not an expert on CAD by any means, but the prongs appear to be coming out of the halo itself, and taking a significant amount of space away from the melee in the halo. I think this is because the center stone is show being set so low into the halo. If the girdle of the center stone were higher, and the prongs placed more on the inner edge of the halo (and were smaller), I think that would make room for four more diamonds in the halo. You can kind of see what I'm talking about with a ring like this: https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/halo-solitaire-with-lotus-profile

Edited to add: the only way a band will fit is if he makes a custom curved band. Is that what your bride-to-be wants? If it is, then that's great, but if she's hoping to have a straight band, there will be a gap.

Mailin

Rough_Rock
Only have paint at my disposal at work, but I was thinking it could be as simple as this.
(me speculating until the vendor gets back to me from my previous email)

These are arbitrary numbers just to get my thought process through. Each corner is say... 20 degrees, since there are 5 stones on each side you would keep the center melee in the current position and tilt the outer 2 melee on each side of the center outwards.
So as pictured above, the 2 melee on the left of the CENTER melee stone, would be counter clocked 5 degrees to make up for the missing space in the corner. Rinse and repeat for the other sides.

20degrees total space
/
= 10 degrees per quarter
/
= 5 degrees tilting angle on outer melee stones

I am not expert, so for all I know... This is a complete idiotic way of thinking.

melee.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I realize you are pretty far into this at this point and on your second attempt, but do you see now why we recommend going with Victor and Steven? They make these everyday, and they make them right every time. You don't have to micromanage, you don't need CADs. It is worth every single penny you pay. All I know is that the picture I linked of Victor's setting that is similar is that it has all the same size diamonds in the halo.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Show them pictures of other halos that don't have gaps on the corners. There really shouldn't need to be those gaps (I don't know the math and the angles--the person using the CAD software should know how this works).

Even a cast setting with somewhat bulky prongs by Whiteflash doesn't have those gaps near the prongs: http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/amphora-diamond-engagement-ring-1039.htm The center stone definitely needs to be set higher than it is in the CAD... it's so low, the prongs are going to eat it alive.

Are they going to make a wax model of the setting after the CAD? I'd really want to see a wax of this with your gem in it, so you can get a real feel for the setting and how the center stone is going to sit.

If they really can't figure out the prong thing, then I'd be hesitant to let them complete the setting.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they don't make wax casts, you may be able to ask for a 3-D printing or cast in silver.

Mailin

Rough_Rock
Hello all, after his response he stated to me that in order to remove the gaps he would have to resize the halo by roughly .3 to .5mm~ and the reason it was done in this fashion was due to him attempting to fulfill my original design request with having the halo as tight to the gem as possible. He did recommend that I do allow him to open it up a bit to eliminate the 4 spaces in the corners.

In regards to other vendors, I had previously already spoken to Canera and they stated in via email, "V.C. doesn't work with 14k rose gold." So that instantly took him out as an option, and Steven IIRC, I spoke to someone on their live chat and they told me they were not willing to take on the work since I was not buying a centerstone from them and I was providing a sapphire.

I will be provided a wax cast once everything is decided. I spoke to him about making a sterling silver ring made first, just waiting on the additional pricing and some estimated timeframes.

Mailin

Rough_Rock
Another update: Ring has been made but I did not like it. There were some things done not as requested and after some talk back and forth. He does not believe he would be able to meet my expectations.

So I am back to square 1.1 and have to find another vendor or see if BE wants to try it again (since I did like the ring they made previously, was just not what I asked for).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not surprised, I'm sorry to say.

I don't feel comfortable suggesting any vendors to you at this point. Maybe Caysie Van Bebber?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear. I also don't know what to suggest, other than perhaps finding a stock setting.

I do have one question: has the intended wearer seen the ring? If so, did she like it well enough? Or would she be okay with a stock setting? I ask because you mentioned you didn't like the version of what they created, but if she's wearing it and liked it, then I'd say just go with it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results