shape
carat
color
clarity

The never-ending project ...Asscher Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I''m sure some of you who have been with me since the start are getting bored with my search, but I hope "the third time''s the charm"

Quick summary,

Part 1 - Perfect asscher is chosen - a 2.26 beauty from GOG. Then the problem: the setting. I was looking for a trap/baguette custom halo design from someone who had completed a few successfully and had pictures. No luck.

Part 2 - Found fabulous pink pear ring, but the vendor imposed stringent terms for the sale and in the end refused to sell it to me.

Part 3 - I''m looking for a larger asscher that will not require a halo at all. In fact, I would like it set in the Cartier repro type setting which I will attach. My question is this: How low can I go in colour and clarity without sacrificing the beauty of the asscher?

This would be for a size 8 right hand ring.

Oops trouble uploading the pic. Will try again.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Feast your eyes on this beauty.
3.gif
It''s a 5.5c asscher, but I couldn''t spend that much. I''m looking at a budget of around 35k including setting.

Your ideas are most welcome.

nelson%20amazing%20cartier%20b.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have no idea about color in large asschers but I''d get the biggest one you can afford and have Leon Mege make the setting.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Why not get a lower-color with medium blue to strong blue fluorescence? That way it will not show the color as much. Not sure if there are larger size asschers with this criteria, but I''d look if I were you. VS2 is the lowest I''d go in an asscher.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m with mrssalvo on this. Leon Mege would do a fabulous setting, it would be incredible. Double claw prongs in platinum, YUMMO!!!!
30.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so glad you're back to the Asscher! Now I can live vicariously through you.
9.gif

I've always heard no lower than G in a step cut. When the day finally comes that I can get my Asscher, I will most likely stick to that. And no lower than VS2.

ETA That setting is to DIE FOR.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 8:06:13 PM
Author: Ellen
I''m so glad you''re back to the Asscher! Now I can live vicariously through you.
9.gif

I''ve always heard no lower than G in a step cut. When the day finally comes that I can get my Asscher, I will most likely stick to that. And no lower than VS2.

ETA That setting is to DIE FOR.
Storm recently said (he can correct me if I''m wrong) that he''d never seen an eyeclean SI asscher nor had anyone he''d talked to. That sounds like a good line in the sand to me.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know, I know ... I was LOOKING for a 3+ carat antique asscher, but what I found was an 11.87 TCW eternity band for 38K.

Back to asscher-hunt.

ecband11.87ct.jpg

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 8:10:38 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Storm recently said (he can correct me if I'm wrong) that he'd never seen an eyeclean SI asscher nor had anyone he'd talked to. That sounds like a good line in the sand to me.
Eye-clean SI asschers do exist, though they can be more rare than non eye-clean because the shape is one that does not hide inclusions as well as mixed cuts or brilliants. With rarity of large rough and diamond prices heading the way they are I think excluding all SI1s out of hand could represent a missed opportunity (and a good price point). When looking at a blind list this caution is valid, but if you're working with someone you trust to get an eye-clean judgment for you a bit more investigation could pay off.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
AHEM!!! AHEM!!! Is this mike on????
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif

2.25ct Asscher cut Diamond Engagement Ring

Gorgeous Asscher cut diamond ring surrounded by a bezel of baguette cut diamonds. Center diamond is 2.25ct G color, VS1 clarity and is certified by EGL. It is surrounded by a bezel of baguette cut diamonds which are approximately G color, VS clarityand three square cut diamonds on each side of the shank. This ring is extremely lively and beautifully made.
Price: $36,000.00
Item: 5341
I think this is the link -- hope it works this time

asscherbaghaloring.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 8:26:19 PM
Author: decodelighted
I know, I know ... I was LOOKING for a 3+ carat antique asscher, but what I found was an 11.87 TCW eternity band for 38K.

Back to asscher-hunt.
Okay that ring is beautiful, but it looks uncomfortable. Every time my husband squeezed my hand, I''d feel the pain LOL!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco, OMG is that fab or what?? The link didn''t work for me where is it from?? Isaku, did you see this. It''s everything and more that you are looking for!!! Great find Deco!!!!
36.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Deco, I have basically that exact ring (12 carats, emerald cut) and shared prong...I wear it on my right hand, my emerald cut with tapered bguettes on the left, so it looks more like an engagement ring but...I do love it, and it makes an awesome rhr too...good idea!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 8:26:42 PM
Author: JohnQuixote

Date: 7/9/2006 8:10:38 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Storm recently said (he can correct me if I''m wrong) that he''d never seen an eyeclean SI asscher nor had anyone he''d talked to. That sounds like a good line in the sand to me.
Eye-clean SI asschers do exist, though they can be more rare than non eye-clean because the shape is one that does not hide inclusions as well as mixed cuts or brilliants. With rarity of large rough and diamond prices heading the way they are I think excluding all SI1s out of hand could represent a missed opportunity (and a good price point). When looking at a blind list this caution is valid, but if you''re working with someone you trust to get an eye-clean judgment for you a bit more investigation could pay off.
I admit it, my opinion here is limited by my own favor toward very clean stones LOL! One tiny beauty mark might not turn me off, but it would have to be mighty spectacular in every other way.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice find, Deco! Where on earth did you find that? It is almost exactly like Isabel''s original love.
30.gif
So Ms. Is, what do you think?

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 8:32:37 PM
Author: decodelighted
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
AHEM!!! AHEM!!! Is this mike on????
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif

2.25ct Asscher cut Diamond Engagement Ring

Gorgeous Asscher cut diamond ring surrounded by a bezel of baguette cut diamonds. Center diamond is 2.25ct G color, VS1 clarity and is certified by EGL. It is surrounded by a bezel of baguette cut diamonds which are approximately G color, VS clarityand three square cut diamonds on each side of the shank. This ring is extremely lively and beautifully made.
Price: $36,000.00
Item: 5341
I think this is the link -- hope it works this time
SOLD! To Isaku! What do you think, Isabel? Guess what?! They have a return policy too! You have two weeks to return it. I like it!!!

lizzyd

Shiny_Rock
Hi Isabel,

Here's a link to some pics I took last year of a 3.14ct, I, IF, asscher I owned last year for about a weekend. I ended up returning it and getting a round brilliant (it was a size and sparkle thing for me).

The I color was absolutely fine. I think the old fashioned cuts can go lower in color, especially if you're going to set it in an antique looking setting.

The Internally Flawless clarity of the stone I had was unusual, and unecessary. I would probably go as low as a VS2 in a large, step cut diamond, but that's just me
9.gif

Hope these give you some idea of the size and color. I'll try to keep my eye out for good stones. Good Luck.

Best,

LizzyD

ETA: duh, here's the link https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/would-you-like-to-see-pictures-of.26038/=

P.S. You should get Strmrdr on your search with you. He's the go-to guy for asschers around here, and helped me quite a bit.

lizz

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, speaking of that, Isabel . . . are you sure you want an asscher? Like LizzyD, I had a square emerald too (H color, VS1 clarity), but it didn''t do it for me. It doesn''t have the sparkle of a brilliant cut. And it''ll be smaller than some other cuts because it''s cut deeper. Just a thought. Just want to make sure you''ll love this type of stone.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Thanks deco, it''s a beauty all right. I phoned the # given on the link (to get their hours, etc.), and got a message saying they were closed until July 17th. That''s OK.

In the meantime, I e-mailed Jonathan regarding the latest developments so maybe he''ll get in touch on Tuesday.

Storm has wifey2be with him for a holiday, so I hope they''re out having a great time.
36.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 10:34:40 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Date: 7/9/2006 10:32:23 PM

Author: isaku5

Any comments on this one from Whiteflash?

www.whiteflash.com/asscher-cutdiamond-1760781.htm

I realize there''s a premium for the VVS clarity, but on the GIA report it states strong fluorescence - to offset the H colour.
I clicked on the link and got a blank screen???

me too. I love the ring deco posted Isaku, definitely worth checking into a bit further IMO.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/9/2006 10:06:35 PM
Author: isaku5
Thanks deco, it''s a beauty all right. I phoned the # given on the link (to get their hours, etc.), and got a message saying they were closed until July 17th. That''s OK.
There''s a message on their site too about being closed for "summer vacation" .. is it all the diamond district stores at this time of year too? Most? I wonder. Even the jewelery stores up by me 90 miles north said it would be hard to get prices for awhile from their city sources, ''cause of the vacation dealie! Argh.

Couldn''t check out the Whiteflash link -- sent me to a blank page.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I''ll try again:

www. whiteflash.com/asscher/Asscher-cut-diamond-1760781.htm

Sorry, the link doesn''t want to work. I double checked this info, but couldn''t get the line under the info to provide the easy link.

Anyway, 3.53c.,H,VVS1 X, X, SB FL etc.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say, even though I''m one of those finicky people with a D colored asscher, I just had the opportunity to compare it with an I colored royal asscher and I was shocked. Maybe they had some tricky lights or something, but I thought it was lovely. I would open my own parameters up to J and even SI-1 if I were you and I wanted size + lovely. I do believe they can be eye-clean at si1 from talking to some pros and if I was ever to upgrade I''d be looking for an SI-1 with a nice color but not D. These are all just numbers and letters to us, and we set these arbitary at times rules for ourselves, but when it took my appraiser 15 minutes with a 50x microscope to find ONE of my two pinpoints in my vvs2 without ever finding the 2nd pinpoint I decided I was never ever going to need that clarity again. My setting could hide a pretty big inclusion if it was placed correctly....on the side or under a prong.

BUT a search for a SI-1 would take time you may not want to commit.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s what I would get...an over 4 carat new AGS ideal asscher!!!!

Blue Nile Honker

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/10/2006 11:51:29 AM
Author: wallermama
Here''s what I would get...an over 4 carat new AGS ideal asscher!!!!

Blue Nile Honker
The link didn''t work for me. Sorry.

I''d love to see the BNHonker!!!!
36.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results