shape
carat
color
clarity

The more I learn, the less I know

4C_OCD

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

Great site! Long time reader, first time poster. I've been using all of the resources provided through pricescope for a few months now. It's finally time for me to make a decision on a diamond for an engagement ring. I say that because I am honestly exhausted from the search. I've really enjoyed researching the finer points of diamonds and everything that goes into a smart purchase, but I need a second opinion from a knowledgeable source that isn't trying to rip me off. I also want to hear some opinions on fluorescence. My goal is to get the best overall balance of features with an excellent cut and brilliance being slightly more important.

So here is what I found recently that I'm seriously considering but I (always) have one or two reservations.

Cut: Round
Carat: 1.21
Color: G
Clarity: VS2

LxWxD: 6.80 - 6.83 - 4.21

Depth %: 61.8
Table %: 57
Crown >: 34.5
Pavilion: 40.8

No IS or ASET yet because there's one thing I'm not sure about- Strong Blue fluorescence. This is especially worrisome because the setting is a french pave with side stones 3-rows across. I'm not too sure how to describe it other than it looks like a solid band of tiny diamonds. The important thing is that the setting stones are supposedly H in color but they're most likely J-K. You can see the yellowish hue if you're looking for it.

So we a beautiful stud-covered setting that is noticeably yellow, and we have an almost perfectly-balanced diamond (in my personal opinion) that is nearly colorless with a strong blue fluorescence. Would the contrast be as noticeable as I fear it could? I've looked for similar stones in the H-I range to either offset any fluorescent and/or match the setting better, but I'm really impressed with the dimensions of this one and I can't seem to find another remotely close to it. Especially for the price.

I suppose all I'm really looking for at the moment is some honest opinions about anything/everything I mentioned. And maybe we'll end up bouncing ideas off each other until an alternative I can live with comes along. In the meantime, I can only learn more.

Thanks in advance and let me know if you need any other info.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. So, it's late and I need to go to the optometrist soon.

The stone specs look very good.

What is your worry about the setting?
The setting is a 3 row pave with stones you fear are going to be lower color than stated. And you worry about the contrast with the center stone, since it is a G with Strong Blue?

If the pave stones are full cuts I would not worry at all.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a pic of the setting? Just curious what it looks like. Main stone numbers look good. Fluorescence is
rarely an issue and I have never heard of an issue due to fluorescence in a stone with comparison to pave stones.
Would love to see a picture of the setting.

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
4C, I'm not knowledgeable enough to help with this but wanted to say that you have come to the right place for help. Hopefully, you aren't in a big hurry but have the time to buy with confidence.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the diamonds in the setting look yellow, I think you need a better quality setting. Buy good quality or else set your diamond in a solitaire and save for a good quality one. The fluorescence has nothing to do with the setting issues.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results