shape
carat
color
clarity

The J prejudice why the haters?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nicstn

Shiny_Rock
So today I decide to stop into a Diamond Exchange in NJ to look at some settings for my center stone I recently purchased through a online vendor recommended from here that I love excel diamonds. I am approached by a saleswomen who asks what I''m interested in. I say a simple solitaire setting for my RB stone. She then asked what the stone stats? I said a GIA RB J 1.78 Excellent Cut stone that I love. Well..... in a huff.... she said to me w/ such disgust and contempt why a J like it was a sin how could I ever buy a J. I replied annoyed but calmly because it is cut so well and priced so perfectly. It shows like a H or high I, and that in person it is stunning and a great performer. Then she asked what I payed and i said $7,900 she had no reply. Ignorant people are so annoying how could anyone like that sell a thing. It made me feel horrible for a sec but then I snapped out of it and said to myself she is clueless. So I just laughed it away.

I learned here from this GREAT forum of diamond knowledge more then she ever will understand. Which is sad since she is the one selling diamonds. The only thing that stuck in my mind is as I walked out of there was why such J haters in the regular public? All diamonds are beautiful and unique. see my link to stats below.

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Loose_Round_Diamond-143/Loose_Round_1.78_Carat_J_Color_SI1_Clarity_diamond-407493.html

Sorry I had to vent lol.

Wow she was really rude!

I have nothing but love for warmer diamonds! I own a J myself, and hope to own a bunch of lower colors as well
12.gif

I bet if you told her it was an H/I she would not have even known the difference
20.gif
20.gif
20.gif
arg! people!

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
Most ppl are just RUDE but mainly ignorant... Ignore them. Enjoy your diamond and nice light return I must say!!! :) Great Find

nicstn

Shiny_Rock
If I had it she def wouldn't know the color RUDE people suck lol! Once I have mine set I will def put pics up here.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe the only J colour diamonds she has seen were badly cut and looked yellow. Enjoy your beautiful stone knowing you got a fantastic diamond for a great price!

nicstn

Shiny_Rock
I will enjoy it so excited not letting ignorant people crush my high lol!

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 1:12:01 AM
Author: nicstn
If I had it she def wouldn''t know the color RUDE people suck lol! Once I have mine set I will def put pics up here.
Yay! I cant wait... lots, and lots of pics
1.gif

nicstn

Shiny_Rock
Def tons lol it''s a big upgrade for me so excited to finally get my RB!

nicstn

Shiny_Rock
O and BTW the RB ring on her finger looked like a L and when i asked what it was she said H LMAO yea right i said in my head then my J is a E!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had the same experience over and over with my J too. Strange people out there.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because they're ignorant, that's why!!

I have J coloured studs and when people see them, they all think that the studs are E-F colour (as they face up very very white). It's only when I tell them they're J's that they give me that look of "disgust" - just like what you've experienced. Now, I don't even bother telling anyone, if asked I just shrug my shoulders or simply say they're "top notch quality" which is what they are.

OcMrsB

Rough_Rock
wow, what a bummer! i cant believe how unprofessional she was- way to score points by INSULTING THE CUSTOMER!! what a fool!

i''ve been to the jewelry exchange once here in orange county, and it was just ok. i got some diamond studs, from the "other" side of the store lol. earrings are (in my opinion) ok if theyre less than perfect. but some of those solitaires i saw... it was like WHO decided to mount that! still not sure how i feel about that place yet...

anyhow, i''m also the proud owner of a J and i love it to pieces :D

when i had just gotten engaged i went and got my nails done, and the girls were oohing and ahhing over my ring, and the manicurist (who wasnt my usual girl) demonstrated how to lose a tip in 5 seconds flat, by saying "looks yellow"
29.gif
i kindly pointed out that the walls were painted yellow, perhaps thats the color she was picking up, and she may not have realized it but thats a very rude thing to say.
20.gif
some people!

OcMrsB

Rough_Rock
btw, did you end up buying anything that day?

SpareMyWallet

Shiny_Rock
I would make it my mission to go back to that store with that stone in hand and watch her jaw drop. I''d tap on my chest then motion her to come to pa pa, while simultaneously telling her "BRING YOUR BEST STONE, WOMAN."

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2010 1:05:05 AM
Author:nicstn
So today I decide to stop into a Diamond Exchange in NJ to look at some settings for my center stone I recently purchased through a online vendor recommended from here that I love excel diamonds. I am approached by a saleswomen who asks what I''m interested in. I say a simple solitaire setting for my RB stone. She then asked what the stone stats? I said a GIA RB J 1.78 Excellent Cut stone that I love. Well..... in a huff.... she said to me w/ such disgust and contempt why a J like it was a sin how could I ever buy a J. I replied annoyed but calmly because it is cut so well and priced so perfectly. It shows like a H or high I, and that in person it is stunning and a great performer. Then she asked what I payed and i said $7,900 she had no reply. Ignorant people are so annoying how could anyone like that sell a thing. It made me feel horrible for a sec but then I snapped out of it and said to myself she is clueless. So I just laughed it away.

I learned here from this GREAT forum of diamond knowledge more then she ever will understand. Which is sad since she is the one selling diamonds. The only thing that stuck in my mind is as I walked out of there was why such J haters in the regular public? All diamonds are beautiful and unique. see my link to stats below.

http://www.exceldiamonds.com/Loose_Round_Diamond-143/Loose_Round_1.78_Carat_J_Color_SI1_Clarity_diamond-407493.html

Sorry I had to vent lol.
I think it comes down to marketing of so many years that colourless diamonds were the only way to go, this belief is still prevalent it would seem. Due to the superior cut of your stone it is quite possible it is facing up whiter than its less well cut counterparts anyway.

You have a stunning diamond and you have no need to worry, enjoy that super rock!!

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The main cause is that a far too big part of our industry is still selling mainly size, colour and clarity. Cut is a distant fourth in importance for many in the industry.

In the end, I fear that only changed desires and behaviour from consumers will change this situation. Pricescope is one of the venues which has a minimal impact on this.

Live long,

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
I had a similar experience when we were buying a stone for my e-ring. I went into a BM shop, innocently/naively asked to see one of their J color stones.
23.gif
<--- That''s basically the look I got. And this
33.gif
Why would you want a J color. haha! I didn''t even bother explaining to them that I was actually considering a K color diamond. In the end I bought a K color diamond and LOVE it
1.gif

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/3/2010 5:20:42 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
The main cause is that a far too big part of our industry is still selling mainly size, colour and clarity. Cut is a distant fourth in importance for many in the industry.

In the end, I fear that only changed desires and behaviour from consumers will change this situation. Pricescope is one of the venues which has a minimal impact on this.

Live long,
I have taken up mall walking twice a week for exercise this winter and I have been surprised at how many of the stores have premium lines and posters about cut up.
One of the independents even had a bunch of AGS posters up and another some about gia EX that while I would take issue with some of what it said was at least a step in the right direction.
It is a definite change from what they used to do.
I also see more tv commercials from the larger local independents advertising AGS ideal cuts.
A couple years back one of them started doing it and now more of them are.
So there is some movement at least in my area in that direction.
I have been tempted to grab my IS and ASET and go browsing but haven''t found the time.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I would have walked out of there if she was being rude. You were not there to be judged. It''s funny these days how poorly customer service can be when their lively hood depends on it.
33.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for sharing that, Karl.

It could be a sign that things are slowly moving in the right direction. If such a trend continues, we will gradually see the price-premiums because of colour, clarity and possibly even size decrease with those for cut increasing.

To some extent, this is probably already happening at the bottom of the scale, where cut-quality below a certain level is becoming virtually unsellable. The difficulty is on the top-end of the spectrum, where even the most advanced assessment-tools are limited in scope, and where actual real-life-comparison is the main differentiator.

Live long,

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Rudeness comes from ignorance and she was exceptionally rude.

She probably doesn''t know much beyond the basic 4 C''s.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For decades the logic has been that the reason to go down in color was to get a lower price. Although this is true and it does bring the price down, this also pairs with the lower color stones that are promoted in the stores have been lower in other areas as well, notably cutting but also in grading accuracy, which also bring the price down. What’s the point of paying a credible lab to grade an I-2/J after all? Among other side affects of this is that a lot of the stones that get sold as J are really more like K or M or even Q. It’s not out of the question that this sales clerk has never even SEEN a well cut and correctly graded J and what she’s seeing in her mind’s eye is an I-2/N that’s cut like a turnip and 'certified' as an SI3/J by some paper factory disguised as a lab.

Mind you , that’s not an excuse for being rude. If you’ve got the time and the temperament, complain to the manager before walking out since enough of this happening will actually result in an improvement in the store for the next person but confronting managers isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. If not, just walk away. In either case, find a jeweler who both knows what they’re talking about and who will treat you the way you deserve to be treated.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/3/2010 9:13:45 AM
Author: denverappraiser
For decades the logic has been that the reason to go down in color was to get a lower price. Although this is true, this also pairs with the lower color stones that are promoted in the stores have been lower in other areas as well, notably cutting but also in grading accuracy. What’s the point of paying a credible lab to grade an I-2/J after all? Among other side affects of this is that a lot of the stones that get sold as J are really more like M or Q. It’s not out of the question that this sales clerk has never even SEEN a well cut and correctly graded J and what she’s seeing in her mind’s eye is an I-2/N that’s cut like a turnip and ''certified'' as an SI3/J by some paper factory disguised as a lab.

Mind you , that’s not an excuse for being rude. If you’ve got the time and the temperament, complain to the manager before walking out since enough of this happening will actually result in an improvement in the store for the next person but confronting managers isn’t everyone’s cup of tea. If not, just walk away. In either case, find a jeweler who both knows what they’re talking about and who will treat you the way you deserve to be treated.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver
lol.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Absolutely correct remark, Neil.

Historically, stones below a certain colour- or clarity-level are not sent to a (decent) lab, which results into many professionals not having a benchmark-comparison in these. And with that happening, many cutters, definitely in the past, saw absolutely no benefit in paying any attention to cut-quality in these lower colour- and/or clarity-levels.

This resulted in an over-presence of lousy cut-qualities in these colours and clarities, and it is very difficult to change perception with experience based upon such historic realities.

I have experienced myself how being knowledgeable as a seller may even backfire. Imagine a consumer, who really likes a well-cut M-diamond, after carefully comparing it to other options in various colours. But before deciding, that consumer simply checks out a few other stores in the area, where everyone convinces him that M is not the way to go, and that he must have been tricked by the environment, lighting or something else in the original store. Chances are high for the original jeweler losing that sale, where he could have secured it by trying to sell a more common colour. The same thing might happen with clarity and fluorescence.

Live long,

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I have a small J that I love, and it looks quite white. I just bought a .71 W from Excel (great service, and I''ll take pictures and do a thread one day) - GIA certed, beautiful stone. Imagine what your sales person would have said about a W.
11.gif
My jeweler, however, smiled and said ''that is just about a fancy yellow''.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
nicstn-Your stone sounds gorgeous! Can''t wait to see handshots.

Brick and mortar sellers are by and large quite clueless.
20.gif

penskip

Rough_Rock
Sometimes it is hard not to get caught up in the colorless is better thinking. I recently bought a 2ct J color antique cushion. I didn''t buy that color so I could go up in size, in fact, I only used 1/2 of my ring budget. I bought it because it was such a beautiful, unique stone. I do have to admit, though, at times I panic that I will be sorry I got a j based on the opinions that are out there (the stone is with leon being set). I think it is human nature, not to mention "girl nature" to compare yourself to other girls!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rude sales rep! Enjoy that rock of yours and wear it proudly.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
FWIW, I think you gave her a little too much information. All she needed to know was shape and size. Anything else was up to you to disclose or not, at your option. Just something to think about in the future
2.gif

The next time a sales agent asks you how much you paid, ask them how much they make and what do they weigh
11.gif

spoogenet

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/3/2010 10:16:42 AM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
Absolutely correct remark, Neil.

Historically, stones below a certain colour- or clarity-level are not sent to a (decent) lab, which results into many professionals not having a benchmark-comparison in these. And with that happening, many cutters, definitely in the past, saw absolutely no benefit in paying any attention to cut-quality in these lower colour- and/or clarity-levels.

This resulted in an over-presence of lousy cut-qualities in these colours and clarities, and it is very difficult to change perception with experience based upon such historic realities.

I have experienced myself how being knowledgeable as a seller may even backfire. Imagine a consumer, who really likes a well-cut M-diamond, after carefully comparing it to other options in various colours. But before deciding, that consumer simply checks out a few other stores in the area, where everyone convinces him that M is not the way to go, and that he must have been tricked by the environment, lighting or something else in the original store. Chances are high for the original jeweler losing that sale, where he could have secured it by trying to sell a more common colour. The same thing might happen with clarity and fluorescence.

Live long,

This is a very real phenomenon where, when people don''t know who the expert is, rely on popular opinion to arrive at the "truth" for themselves. We all fall into this trap at one point or another.

I know my fears are allayed more by the person who spends the time to educate me and teach me realities that someone else does not in a pressure free environment. Examples are even more appreciated. This, too, can be full of fallacy since many unscrupulous salesmen use the "insider secret" misinformation to steer customers. Again, taking the time and not applying pressure is key here, where you appear as the teacher and not having the upper hand.

After spending a little time with a jeweler, and with a touch of experience, it starts to become obvious when they''re either at their limits of knowledge or BSing. I found a local jeweler that I enjoy working with. I ended up not buying with him due to a lack of ability over anything else. He simply does not have access to the types of stones I fell in love with.

b

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results