shape
carat
color
clarity

Tension setting on an Octavia. what do you guys think?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny, anyone?.. :wavey:

Set the crown above the ring?
Pro...the ring will have a lower profile which I'd like... :appl:
Con...more chances of chipping the stone b/c the crown will be exposed?

Set the crown even with the ring?
Pro...the stone will have more protection against chipping?
Con ...the ring will have a higher profile and less sparkle?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
above and insure it like you would any ring/diamond.
The chance of damage isn't any higher than any other diamond that is over the setting.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1402281937|3689103 said:
above and insure it like you would any ring/diamond.
The chance of damage isn't any higher than any other diamond that is over the setting.
Thanks Stormy :wavey: any one else have comments?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In case noobs don't know I have an Octavia Asscher diamond in a tension setting.
The crown of the Octavia has 3 rows of facets.
In a side view the metal of the setting reaches high enough so only the top row of facets is above the metal, as seen in the first pic below.

Perhaps the ring maker, Bruce Boone, feels this is the best balance of safety and diamond exposure.

I don't know if Bruce feels it is possible but I'd prefer the ring only cover one row of crown facets, instead of two.
From all angles I want to see as much as possible of the gorgeous diamond I paid so dearly for.
I want minimum metal to let maximum light into and out of the diamond.
I'd also prefer if the diamond was set lower so the culet was closer to my skin.
IMO the metal of the ring in the side view is just too high, as seen in the second pic below.

This doesn't bug me enough to get it reset, but if I was starting from scratch that's what I'd request.

I would really NOT like it if the metal came all the way up to the table or above the table, though obviously this would be safer.

FWIW, I don't insure diamonds.
If they are lost, stolen, damaged C'est la vie.
I hate insurance premiums and will take my chances on what is a luxury, not a necessity.
Insurance is gambling.
You are betting there will be a claim and the insurance company is betting there won't be.
The problem is, the odds are with the house when the calculate the premiums ... so I don't play their insurance game.
YMMV. If you like insurance, buy it.

screen_shot_2014-06-08_at_9.png

screen_shot_2014-06-08_at_10.png

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, DF, do you have Jonathan/Yorum searching for rough for a 2+ ct Octavia?
... or are you considering one of the 1.2 carat Octavias they now have in stock?
... or is this just preparation for a project some indeterminate time in the future?

One strategy is to get one now but trade it in for 100% of what you paid when they get a larger one.

Every day you wait is a day you are not getting your eyeballs xesually stimulated by the magic Octavia diamond cut. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

It is SUCH a rush wearing this fireball every day. :sun:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1402291508|3689185 said:
Kenny...
since you ask...the answer is yes,mama taught me not to lie... :wink2: Yorum is cutting an Octavia for me, but I don't know when it will be finished. I don't wanna rush him... :bigsmile:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1402290993|3689181 said:
In case noobs don't know I have an Octavia Asscher diamond in a tension setting.
The crown of the Octavia has 3 rows of facets.
In a side view the metal of the setting reaches high enough so only the top row of facets is above the metal, as seen in the first pic below.

Perhaps the ring maker, Bruce Boone, feels this is the best balance of safety and diamond exposure.

I don't know if Bruce feels it is possible but I'd prefer the ring only cover one row of crown facets, instead of two.
From all angles I want to see as much as possible of the gorgeous diamond I paid so dearly for.
I want minimum metal to let maximum light into and out of the diamond.
I'd also prefer if the diamond was set lower so the culet was closer to my skin.
IMO the metal of the ring in the side view is just too high, as seen in the second pic below.
Do you think it would be safe to set the 3 rows of facets above the setting?
I too prefer the culet to be closer to my finger.... :appl:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1402295683|3689212 said:
Kenny...
since you ask...the answer is yes,mama taught me not to lie... :wink2: Yorum is cutting an Octavia for me, but I don't know when it will be finished. I don't wanna rush him... :bigsmile:

woohoo.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei|1402298838|3689220 said:
Kenny...

woohoo.gif
:wavey: ..When I see my Brit gf login I know it is almost time for... :snore: :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kenny...

WHOA!
DUDE!

I'm so excited for you.
I'd LOVE to see pics of the rough and pics during the cutting if Yorum can oblige.
Sorry if I'm rude to ask, but you and/or Yorum can always say, "No".

Can't wait to see your rock and ring. :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Do you have any carat, color and clarity range expectations?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1402296569|3689216 said:
Do you think it would be safe to set the 3 rows of facets above the setting?

It's beyond not safe.
It is simply impossible for none of the crown to be covered by some of the metal of the setting.
The diamond would just fall out if all 3 rows of crown facets were above the top of the setting.
The setting's metal must touch the diamond above AND below the girdle for it to grab and hold the diamond in place.
The metal touching only the pavilion and the girdle would not hold the diamond in place.

BTW, I found an old pic of my SO's ring of the same design Boonering Sidegrooves.

Notice the metal only comes up to just above the first row of crown facets.
Actually, this pic may be deceiving.
The camera should be level with the top of the setting, but it is not, it's a bit low.
Since it's looking UP at the top of the setting that may make the metal appear higher on the diamond than it really is.

I'll try to get a new pic of his setting to correctly document the height of the metal.
It may take a day or so ... I have to drug him to get the ring off his finger. :lol:

Feel free to email any of my pics to Bruce if they help explain what you do or don't want.

screen_shot_2014-06-09_at_12.png

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1402299482|3689222 said:
Lorelei|1402298838|3689220 said:
Kenny...

woohoo.gif
:wavey: ..When I see my Brit gf login I know it is almost time for... :snore: :bigsmile:

offtobed.gif

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Well done!!!! Awesome news, DF!!!!!

Can't wait to see the process roll out for you.
And Kenny, thank you for obliging with the photos, as it is building up in my file as well... :read:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is exciting news DF! Can't wait to see what they come up with for you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow DF! Very exciting!!! :appl:
It's going to be amazing!!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, a project from diamond rough to the finished article, can't wait to see the pics!!!

DK :))

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy for you DF!

You must have been saving your allowance!!! I think Kenny has some excellent advice (except I chose to buy insurance...people
vary you know :cheeky: ).

Can you give us a guesstimate on size?

Edit

Lorelei, you have the cutest emos!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 2ct+ Octavia Asscher?

This should be special :love:

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1402317041|3689287 said:
So happy for you DF!

You must have been saving your allowance!!! I think Kenny has some excellent advice (except I chose to buy insurance...people

Edit

runaround1.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1402300083|3689224 said:
Kenny...

WHOA!
DUDE!

I'm so excited for you.
I'd LOVE to see pics of the rough and pics during the cutting if Yorum can oblige.
Sorry if I'm rude to ask, but you and/or Yorum can always say, "No".

Can't wait to see your rock and ring. :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

Do you have any carat, color and clarity range expectations?
I have not spoke to Yorum. Jon did send me a pic of the rough but some how I lost the pic ... :oops: I believe the rough weight something like 5.67ct ?.. :confused: with strong blue flour. Yorum told Jon his best guess (b/c the rough is frosty coated) the color range will be in the G-J range, clarity VS++. Jon said he wouldn't be surprised if the stone came back from the lab as a G VVS stone b/c he knows that Yorum is being conservative on the estimate. I'm just hoping for a H VS2 stone!... :appl: the estimate weight will be in the 2.23-2.40ct range.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1402323728|3689362 said:
I have not spoke to Yorum. Jon did send me a pic of the rough but some how I lost the pic ... :oops: I believe the rough weight something like 5.67ct ?.. :confused: with strong blue flour. Yorum told Jon his best guess (b/c the rough is frosty coated) the color range will be in the G-J range, clarity VS++. Jon said he wouldn't be surprised if the stone came back from the lab as a G VVS stone b/c he knows that Yorum is being conservative on the estimate. I'm just hoping for a H VS2 stone!... :appl:
So you're cutting from a five and a half carat rough :shock:

Is yours the only stone coming from it?? :shock: :shock:

This sounds like it's going to be monstrous! :shock: :shock: :shock: :love:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks guys!... :wavey: ..just don't tell my wife!... :Up_to_something: there goes my watch fund for the year... :bigsmile:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1402317041|3689287 said:
So happy for you DF!

Edit

No new watch for me this year... ::)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OoohShiny|1402324505|3689378 said:
I have not spoke to Yorum. Jon did send me a pic of the rough but some how I lost the pic ... :oops: I believe the rough weight something like 5.67ct ?.. :confused: with strong blue flour. Yorum told Jon his best guess (b/c the rough is frosty coated) the color range will be in the G-J range, clarity VS++. Jon said he wouldn't be surprised if the stone came back from the lab as a G VVS stone b/c he knows that Yorum is being conservative on the estimate. I'm just hoping for a H VS2 stone!... :appl:
So you're cutting from a five and a half carat rough :shock:

Is yours the only stone coming from it?? :shock: :shock:

This sounds like it's going to be monstrous! :shock: :shock: :shock: :love:
I don't know... :confused: ..maybe we can share the rough so that we both can save some $$$?.. :bigsmile:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
D'oh, I hadn't twigged that you're the guy with the PP collection so are very probably very 'comfortable'! :D

It's great that you're taking us on this journey with you so we can enjoy spending your money vicariously - you can't take it with you and this stone should be the stuff of legend! :sun: lol

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am obviously limited in what I can say but.....
Stormy does a happy dance that DF is getting one of his and Yoram's creations!!! :appl: :appl:
Congrats DF my friend! :appl: :appl:

Most likely it will be the only stone from the rough.
They are cut from rough that will not make a top because the high crown takes up rough that would normally be in a top.
Yoram has to find rough that has enough good material for an Octavia crown but not enough for a top with a lower crown asscher or a cushion to make it economical.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe the rough weight something like 5.67ct ..the estimate weight will be in the 2.23-2.40ct range.

Wow!
5.67 ct down to 2.32 ct. ;(
3.35 ct converted into diamond dust. ;(
41% yeild, or 59% weight loss. ;(

No wonder Octavias are so costly.
You could argue you are getting one diamond but paying for two. ;(
Then again, at the risk of everyone hating me even more than the do already for being a loudmouth, bragging snob, to me the enjoyment of an Octavia is twice that of a regular diamond. :love:
I have absolutely no regrets for paying what they're worth.
If you wanna drive a Ferrari you gotta cough up the bucks.

Karl/Jonathan/others, what would to estimate the Octavia price premium is over a generic but superbly-cut asscher with identical specs?
20%?
30%?
More? Less?
I don't have enough data so calculate it since Octavias are so rare.

DF, what shape was the rough?
Credit for image source: http://www.horrocksandwebb.co.uk/diamonds.asp

screen_shot_2014-06-09_at_11.png

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1402333330|3689491 said:
I am obviously limited in what I can say but.....
Stormy does a happy dance that DF is getting one of his and Yoram's creations!!! :appl: :appl:
Congrats DF my friend! :appl: :appl:

Most likely it will be the only stone from the rough.
They are cut from rough that will not make a top because the high crown takes up rough that would normally be in a top.
Yoram has to find rough that has enough good material for an Octavia crown but not enough for a top with a lower crown asscher or a cushion to make it economical.
Thanks, Stormy... :wavey:
Couldn't Yoram get one smaller Octavia out of this rough? maybe like a .50ct?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will this be the largest Octavia cut so far?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results