shape
carat
color
clarity

Tell me what you think of this workmanship.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dadof4

Rough_Rock
Well, for those who don't remember, I was debating a Hearts on Fire, 5 Dream stone ring for my wife's and my 15th anniversary. Her heart was set on it once she saw it. But after checking this website, I realized that we could do much better than HOF Dream for the money by getting a ring with Jubilee diamonds. NiceIce referred me to Jonathan at GOG, and after seeing the Jubilees, we were sold.

It took a while to wait for the right stones, but I ended up with a center Jubilee .75 H VS1, and 4 sides Jubs around .25 each, close to same color and clarity. With my wifes approval, we decided to match them up with Vatche's 5 stone ring made for Princess diamonds. We found it very difficult to find any other selection of 5 stone settings on the internet.

I just got an email today from Christen at GOG that the ring is ready, but after seeing the photos she sent, I'm not sure about the quality of the setting. I have great confidence in the Jubilees, and in GOG. But I'm starting to have my doubts about Vatche.

Tell me what you think of this picture. I see LOTS of prong over the sidestones, almost creeping to the table in one or two cases.

RB Jub75HVS1 side view.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks fantastic but you can have them make the little prongs shorter and smaller so they aren't as long.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldnt accept it those prongs are NOT done right.
They are just begging to get caught on something and getting bent.
The setting job is totaly unacceptable in my opinion.
Im going to add that picture to my crap setting job lineup in the FAQ. :}

Dadof4

Rough_Rock
You're right that the setting was originally for the Princess, but Marie or Jonathan at GOG assured me that Vatche had worked with the Jubilees before and new how to set them properly. Christen at GOG is going to ask Vatche about trimming the prongs down, but I'm still not sure.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jee strm. That's a tad harsh. Its something that can be fixed. Chill out.

Dadof4

Rough_Rock
Marie at GOG told me that the ring would be custom made to fit the size stones that I picked. I assumed that they wouldn't just slap stones in a setting and fold over long prongs and call it good. I assumed that if the Jubilees wouldn't work in that particular setting, that someone along the way (like an artist/designer) would tell me so. I hope I haven't assumed too much and made a you-know-what of myself.

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I think the workmanship from the side view looks nice. Hopefully the prongs can be adjusted to make them look shorter from the top and perhaps a little thinner too?

I don't really think it's as bad as Strmdr thinks it is!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I get home tonight which will be late I will post why I think its that bad.
I dont have photoshop on my work computer.
How that one got beyond QC is beyond me.....
When you are spening a lot of money on a designer setting you should expect it to be very very near perfect and those arent even close.

Dadof4

Rough_Rock
I hope that it can be fixed, because according to GOG's policy, I'm stuck with a $2,640 setting that is not returnable. I'm just a little shocked that the ring would pass final inspection by Vatche to be released to the customer as it is. Does anyone think that it is acceptable as it is? Would you expect this kind of workmanship from a designer?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/14/2004 5:26:58 PM ame wrote:

Jee strm. That's a tad harsh. Its something that can be fixed. Chill out.----------------

The point is that it should have never got past a QC inspection before it was shipped.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/14/2004 5:47:38 PM Dadof4 wrote:

I hope that it can be fixed, because according to GOG's policy, I'm stuck with a $2,640 setting that is not returnable. I'm just a little shocked that the ring would pass final inspection by Vatche to be released to the customer as it is. Does anyone think that it is acceptable as it is? Would you expect this kind of workmanship from a designer?----------------

It can be fixed.
GOG will see to it that it is.
He dont want to get blasted and Jonathan is a good guy :}

No I would not expect it nor be willing to accept it in any setting designer or not.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/14/2004 5:49:08 PM crankydave wrote:

Dadof4,

None of your pictures indicate that your ring was 'slapped' together. Each of the prongs is properly positioned, rounded and polished. The appearance of the 'long prongs' is easily corrected. As a stone setter, I will always work with an abudance of caution. I'd much rather leave too much prong than too little.

Dave ----------------

Remind me never to buy anything from you the prong on the center stone is not flush with diamond and sticks up just begging to be bent.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/14/2004 5:53:42 PM crankydave wrote:

The point is that it should have never got past a QC inspection before it was shipped.

You're absolutely right. However, none of us are infallible. Mistakes happen. How we address and resolve them when they do is what matters.

Dave----------------

Good point and Jonathon will see to it that it is fixed Im not too worried about it.
But making excuses for the shoddy work even when your just an outside party does not reflect well on you at all.

reena

Ideal_Rock
well, "long in the prong" or not, can i just say that that is going to be one gorgeous ring in the end!
love.gif
love those jubilees. congrats DOF!

Dadof4

Rough_Rock
OK guys, chill. The ring is the issue, and I do appreciate your comments AND ADVICE.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh good god you two.

The prongs need some adjustments. Its obvious. Thats great. Let GOG handle it now.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I'm coming in on the side of strm. I would have had palpitations had my designer ring come to me looking that way. Good finish work on a piece makes it, in my mind. I have "prong issues" as it is, and I very much dislike the traditional heads that are "plugged into" a ring. I'm sure that the ring will be adjusted by GOG, because customer satisfaction seems to be their number one priority. I just wanted to say that I would have been horrified too.

And by the way, has anyone else noticed that people have gotten a bit "snippy" on the forum this last week or so?

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I'm so sorry your ring did not meet your expectations! I have to agree that the setting and especially the stones are GORGEOUS (you have great taste!) but that the way the stones were set in the setting is not correct. I can't believe that Vatche would send your ring with those long prongs and think it was presentable! You should DEFINITELY have it sent back and fixed (I'm sure Jonathan will stand by you).

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
On a lighter note.... THE DIAMONDS ROCK IN IT~! Beautiful~!
love.gif

Dadof4,
GoodOldGolds customer service is #1. Relax, I am sure Jonathan will make it perfect for you. He wouldn't have it any other way.
21.gif

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
First of all- OH MY GOSH! Those Jubilees look fannnnnn-tastick!!! I have got to stop visiting this webite, I know officially have Jubilee lust.

I personally like prongs that are as unobtrusive as possible, so I definitely see way too much prong action going on. The side view is just luscious though, I love that profile. Good Old Gold has a stellar rep, I'm quite sure that they will fix the prongs for you.

If I pay you, could you please have a chat with my husband vis a vis diamonds as an anniversary gift? If you're not interested in cash, I'm quite gifted with baked goods.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
crankydave your saying that that level of workmanship is worth $2600+ dollars??
Nice of you to assume what I know and don’t know.
It gets rather old with newbie vendors that think they are Gods gift to the jewelry word that think that consumers couldn’t possible know anything.
Well let me tell those types either mellow out or they dont last long around here.
This is the consumer’s forum not a vendor’s forum.

Any setter that just goes forward with something they know wont look right or not raise the issue so it doesn’t get shipped to the client isn’t worth a plugged nickel.

Apoligies to the topic starter but I cant leave this alone.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/14/2004 8:52:00 PM strmrdr wrote:

Well let me tell those types either mellow out or they dont last long around here.
----------------

Mellow out storm -- vendors add a lot of value to this forum, whether or not they agree with you. Diverging opinions, especially of those with knowledge about the subject at hand, add a lot of value here.

I agree that the prongs don't look right, but there is hopefully enough information here that Dadof4 feels comfortable dealing with Jon to get it sorted out right.

BTW Dad.... It's a gorgeous ring! Great concept and stones, and once the setting is fixed, I'm sure it will be spectacular!

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, here's a valid question: Was GOG ready to ship this puppy out before you complained about the quality of the setting? Because aren't these the photos that they take for insurance purposes generally, right before they ship out a ring?

Who caught this quality control problem, you or them? And if it had to be you, then GOG, WAKE UP!

Sorry if I sound harsh, but it's not just Vatche's name that is associated with this ring. GOG has the final responsibility to approve QC and ensure customer satisfaction. It would appear that they weren't checking closely enough.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/14/2004 9:30:59 PM lop wrote:

----------------

On 9/14/2004 8:52:00 PM strmrdr wrote:

----------------

Mellow out storm -- vendors add a lot of value to this forum, whether or not they agree with you. Diverging opinions, especially of those with knowledge about the subject at hand, add a lot of value here.

I agree that the prongs don't look right, but there is hopefully enough information here that Dadof4 feels comfortable dealing with Jon to get it sorted out right.

BTW Dad.... It's a gorgeous ring! Great concept and stones, and once the setting is fixed, I'm sure it will be spectacular!

----------------

Yep vendors add a lot here but you wont see anyone from whiteflash, GOG or niceice defend the way that ring turned out.
That’s my point about it being a consumer site.
Regardless off why the ring turned out bad it did and Jonathon will see to it that it is fixed.
That is what is expected of the vendors and why he has earned the reputation he has as a great vendor.

The poor oppressed setter issue is entirely irrelevant and making excuses for the ring does not serve consumers. If it doesn’t serve consumers it has no place here.
That’s the point of my comment.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Prong 1 is oversized compared to the rest and looks like it might not be seated over the top of the stone properly.

Prong 2 is sticking up over the table and not properly seated over the top of the stone.
This is the one that will catch on things.

KRBJub75HVSsideview.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thes prongs as well as some others should have been trimmed.
Also instead of bending one so far out of shape it should have been possible to make less visible adjustments to all the prongs.
Overall the setting just doesnt fit the stones and looks forced.
Id expect a lot better for $2600+.

kRBJub75HVS1sideview.jpg

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Storm,

I have to agree with you that this should not be considered acceptable work and that other issues, like the amount the setter was paid, or even the cost of the final product are irrelevant. The setter should do the best they can, every time. If they're unhappy with their pay, they should seek other employment.

The bright side is that it doesn't seem to be a terrible job, just incomplete. It looks as though the setter was actually pretty skilled, just rushed. One of the final steps of the setting process is to shape each on the prongs on top of the stone. The setter seems to have skipped through this too quickly. They should go back and finish the job properly with no loss in quality. I'm confident that this has, in fact, already been done. GOG is a first rate dealer and this seems to have just slipped through their quality conrol process.

You mentioned that you are compiling a FAQ with photos for discussing setting quality. Can you tell us about this? It's a really really good idea. Is this something you're collecting for your own benefit or will you make it available on pricescope?

Dad, finishing this job properly will not result in a 'repaired' piece. It's unfortunte that they showed it to you in this incomplete state but it is just that, an intermediate step. Don't let this discussion give the impression that you are somehow getting a second rate product. 'Taint so.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results