shape
carat
color
clarity

Tacori ring platinum or white gold?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mr. Eric

Shiny_Rock
I guess it is a little late to ask this question since I have already ordered the ring, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what metal would be better. I ordered the tacori h2-2258 in 18k white gold because it was almost $1000 less than platinum, but now I am a little worried. The ring that I got has a pave setting. Will the 18k white gold be alright? Does anyone know if the prongs are also gold or is the whole ring gold. I like the idea of being able to get white gold redipped making it look new eachtime. I also like the look of white gold better than platinum. My mom has had a white gold ring for 35 years and has never had it dipped, and it looks fine to me. I don''t see any yellow in it. Can anyone give their opinion?
Thanks a bunch!

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/26/2007 3:30:03 PM
Author:Mr. Eric
I guess it is a little late to ask this question since I have already ordered the ring, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what metal would be better. I ordered the tacori h2-2258 in 18k white gold because it was almost $1000 less than platinum, but now I am a little worried. The ring that I got has a pave setting. Will the 18k white gold be alright? Does anyone know if the prongs are also gold or is the whole ring gold. I like the idea of being able to get white gold redipped making it look new eachtime. I also like the look of white gold better than platinum. My mom has had a white gold ring for 35 years and has never had it dipped, and it looks fine to me. I don''t see any yellow in it. Can anyone give their opinion?

We''ve seen quite a few Tacori rings in 18k white gold and I don''t think you have anything to be concerned about, it''s a nice look. The entire ring will be 18k white gold, prongs and all. Enjoy!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mr Eric I suggest keeping identical questions in one thread otherwise it gets confusing. Does your GF have any WG pieces? Everyone''s body chemistry is different so it will yellow at different speeds. If she has pieces that are still white than you should be find (as long as she doesn''t have a nickel allergy).

Mr. Eric

Shiny_Rock
Sorry about posting the same question, but I was not getting any response the first time that I posted. My gf does not have any white gold jewelry. I an actually the first to buy her a descent diamond jewlery and she is 28! I guess I am going to have to find out if she reacts ok to white gold.

dunndeal

Rough_Rock
Hi Mr.Eric,

In my opinion you are fine with white gold from a quality brand like Tacori. The big manufacturers have really stepped up to the plate when it comes to using good white alloys these days. There are even some fine swiss watch companies that don''t use rhodium to plate their white gold watches anymore! You''d never know these watches are not platinum until you heft them. So don''t worry about a thing!

All the best and congrats in advance,

Mr. Eric

Shiny_Rock
Does tacori use nickel in their white gold or Palladium? I have a headache. Now I know why men don''t live as long as women
25.gif
I just don''t understand people that say that gold does not last as long as platinum?! Does gold wear away over time?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/1/2007 12:21:32 AM
Author: Mr. Eric
Does tacori use nickel in their white gold or Palladium? I have a headache. Now I know why men don''t live as long as women
25.gif
I just don''t understand people that say that gold does not last as long as platinum?! Does gold wear away over time?
I do not know what alloys Tacori uses in their white gold pieces. I can answer your question referring to gold vs. platinum and metal wearing away over time, though. Platinum as a metal can be displaced, i.e. you might see "scratches," or "dents" in it, but the metal is just moving around, whereas with gold the metal is actually worn away or lost when scratched/dented.

It will take a LONG time before that gold because significantly smaller, not something you should have to worry about in your life time. Also, since money is an issue you will be able to get a WG band in the future which will save more money, and if you like the way it looks more with the rhodium that makes it an easy decision. As for structural integrity you really have nothing to worry about there. Its not night and day difference in security, just a minor difference, and since IT WILL BE INSURED there is really nothing to worry about at all.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve worn a WG wedding band for 15 years and haven''t had it dipped and it looks white to me still.

I have noticed that some 14K yellow gold rings I''ve worn for only 10years show some wear. So 18K WG seems to be a fine choice! No worries.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2007 12:21:32 AM
Author: Mr. Eric
Does tacori use nickel in their white gold or Palladium? I have a headache. Now I know why men don't live as long as women
25.gif
I just don't understand people that say that gold does not last as long as platinum?! Does gold wear away over time?
The technical answer is yes. Gold is harder but when scratched the material is lost. Platinum alloys are denser so the metal is just moved around (ridges are raised round the scratch). The patina platinum develops is actually a buildup of microscopic nicks & scratches over time. Platinum can be repolished again and again and WG can be re-rhodium plated (just as easy as repolish). For the body of the piece the hardness vs densisty issue doesn't have the same implications as the head. Platinum heads are sometimes requested for WG rings because platinum tends to act as a better shock absorber on impact than gold.

Don't read too much into all of this. There is a reason the common alloys are in use by top metalsmiths: More important than the alloy is the skill of the craftsman - a well-made piece will be fine in any of the common alloys - and what trumps even the craftsman is how the wearer treats the piece... Gold, platinum & palladium can all be damaged by sharkbite. Get insurance for whatever precious piece you choose.

Mr. Eric

Shiny_Rock
This is what Tacori sent me. It seems as though their jewlery is of good quality.

To start, Gold is actually harder than platinum, and therefore somewhat less likely to bend if pressure is applied. There are some questions about white gold “yellowing” over time; yellow is the natural color of gold, and white gold does often require maintenance to retain the “white” look.
However, because of Tacori’s “gold standard” our 18K white gold does not rely solely on a rhodium dip to keep our “white” gold looking white (as of June 2006). We now use Palladium as our alloy metal, which is a naturally white and pure metal, and keeps our white gold looking white more naturally, and longer. (and yes, there are trace elements of nickel in our 18K white gold alloy)
So, if white gold “yellowing” over time is a concern to you, let me assure you that our Tacori white gold alloy is quite excellent. However, even with this said, there will indeed be care required of an 18K “white” gold over the years for it to maintain the “white” look.

Mr. Eric

Shiny_Rock
Oops!.... I hope I don''t get in trouble for posting what Tacori sent me....... Did not think about it until I posted it. Maybe they won''t care since I just spent almost $3,000 on one of their setting........

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results