• Yay

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Nay

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters

flilow

Rough_Rock
Hi friends,

VC is making an Emilya Halo Cushion for future fiance, and I'd like to personalize it a bit. I'm considering a few options for a surprise to put in the shank. Actually, the entire ring is a surprise as she knows nothing... surprise stone in surprise ring? Anyways, please yell at me if you think I should leave the perfect Emilya alone and scrap the idea.

Her favorite color is yellow and she has an obsession with sunflowers. Even before we started dating I would call her sunflower:

(Yellow diamond) My sunflower, always
(Yellow diamond) To my sunflower [proposal date]

We also refer to each other as two peas in a pod frequently, she's sweetpea I'm sourpea. My concern with this is that she doesn't love the color green. Emeralds are too soft, so I would need to use something like a peridot or maybe a green sapphire. Either way I would keep this one simple:

(Green stone)(Green stone)

Birthstones still a possibility:

(Aquamarine)(Ruby)

Some other goofy ideas:

(Ruby) True wuv [proposal date] <--The Princess Bride anyone?
(Ruby) Wuv, true wuv

I found this thread for a visual: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/victor-canera-does-it-again-cushion-halo.172877/

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Back away from the ring. An engraved message inside is nice, but don't spend money on stones no one can see. If she loves yellow, then how about a yellow diamond wedding band or right hand ring? Would she have liked a yellow diamond engagement ring?

I know where you're coming from and it's sweet, but men sometimes overthink the design process. See this thread, especially Diamonseeker's and Zizzy's comments. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-designer-opinions-ricardo-basta-and-others.211329/#post-3844693#p3844693']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-designer-opinions-ricardo-basta-and-others.211329/#post-3844693#p3844693[/URL]

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I voted for keeping it simple and having something meaningful to both of you engraved inside. I like the idea of getting her something else maybe as a wedding day gift that would incorporate her favorite yellow color though.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I voted Nay. I think, like the others so far, that a hidden stone isn't a good idea. The inscription is though & would be a lovely touch. I also really like the idea of a yellow diamond wedding band.

:))

flilow

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the frank advice.

Zizzy's Porsche analogy got the point across especially well.

I'm going to go sign this work order before I get in my own way again...

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
flilow|1427601316|3853968 said:

Excellent. Now, about this yellow diamond ring or band that you're going to get her.... :naughty:

flilow

Rough_Rock
lioness|1427601740|3853972 said:
flilow|1427601316|3853968 said:

Excellent. Now, about this yellow diamond ring or band that you're going to get her.... :naughty:

Hah, I feel I'm surrounded! I swear you must be friends.

Actually, I know she would love a yellow diamond right hand ring at some point muuuuuch further down the road.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with all. Engrave something adorable, my vote would be mayne simply "Sweetpea"... As for a surprise stone, I wouldn't, as others have said, just going to get a bit gross.

I don't know how far along you are in the design or fabrication of the ring, but people have made the underside of halos look like petals, you could maybe do that.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's a photo. Though, if you did this, a sunflower engraving would probably fit better.

uploadfromtaptalk1427619861518.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote no. And here's why--what if you have presented her a ring that is nothing like her style and nothing like her dreams? It's a very real possibility that if you're TOTALLY surprising someone that had no input in a piece she's wearing on her hand that it might not be at all what she had envisioned for herself. If you go that extra mile, it makes sending it back harder, and makes her feel even worse about speaking up honestly about it and if she can't be honest about things because she feels she's going to hurt your feelings after you put in the effort, that's bad for the marriage from the start.

Just one perspective. I am extremely anti-surprise rings. Extremely anti. Surprise proposal, fine, never surprise ring.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1427639678|3854099 said:
I vote no. And here's why--what if you have presented her a ring that is nothing like her style and nothing like her dreams? It's a very real possibility that if you're TOTALLY surprising someone that had no input in a piece she's wearing on her hand that it might not be at all what she had envisioned for herself. If you go that extra mile, it makes sending it back harder, and makes her feel even worse about speaking up honestly about it and if she can't be honest about things because she feels she's going to hurt your feelings after you put in the effort, that's bad for the marriage from the start.

Just one perspective. I am extremely anti-surprise rings. Extremely anti. Surprise proposal, fine, never surprise ring.

To be fair we don't know she hasn't hinted at this style. For example, she may have a pinterest full of he style cushion halos. Or they may have gone shopping and she said that was her favorite style. The fact the ring purchase is a surprise doesn't necessarily mean the style is a surprise.

If he was shipping blindly with no input, I think that's a bad idea as well, but there's indication that's the situation

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you chose a ring design with a good idea of your future fiance's style and preferences... and I trust you're 99.99% sure that your girlfriend is looking forward to being your wife.

That said, I love the idea of a yellow diamond with a reference to your pet name for her. Yes, I realize a surprise stone is going to get dirty and not shine brightly as a diamond set elsewhere would, but a surprise stone isn't there to add to the glitz, it's there to add to the meaning and sentiment behind the ring. It is by it's nature primarily for private consumption, an special message from you to your intended. And besides, I'm sure your girlfriend/fiance/wife will take pains to keep her beautiful engagement ring clean - surprise stone and all. ;))

baroque

Shiny_Rock
A surprise stone inside the shank is very affordable...cheap even, so the cost of adding the stone shouldn't be a concern and the thought is really nice...I love mine...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted "Nay" on the surprise stone... it'll get grungy, I don't believe in stones I'll never see, and it's just plain cheesy. (just MHO :halo: )

However, I love the idea of a thoughtful message or word engraved on the band. :))

flilow

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the continued input, everyone.

I understand the concern surrounding a surprise ring. The diamond shape as well as the style of the setting were all chosen based on explicit interest that she's shown in the past. Whether at a jewelry store or pulling from Pinterest, thankfully, her hints have been all but subtle.

I agree with VRBeauty on all points. The cost factor of a surprise stone is insignificant, and I'm not worried about them becoming dirty. It would be a token just for her.

I am in cohesion though with the overall consensus that I wouldn't want to mess with the timeless design of the Emilya. Especially since my hope is that this ring might become an heirloom one day. My thoughts are to do something fun within the wedding band and leave the e-ring alone.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
flilow|1427655608|3854193 said:
Thanks for the continued input, everyone.

I understand the concern surrounding a surprise ring. The diamond shape as well as the style of the setting were all chosen based on explicit interest that she's shown in the past. Whether at a jewelry store or pulling from Pinterest, thankfully, her hints have been all but subtle.

I agree with VRBeauty on all points. The cost factor of a surprise stone is insignificant, and I'm not worried about them becoming dirty. It would be a token just for her.

I am in cohesion though with the overall consensus that I wouldn't want to mess with the timeless design of the Emilya. Especially since my hope is that this ring might become an heirloom one day. My thoughts are to do something fun within the wedding band and leave the e-ring alone.

I think that's a great idea, flilow! Make sure you come back and post lots of photos!! :))

mns12

Shiny_Rock
I had surprise stones in my Emilya round halo (sapphire and diamond, our birthstones) and honestly they were so tiny I forgot they were there most of the time!

me&myboys

Shiny_Rock
Hi :wavey:

I say Yay!

For me it's not about what others think - nor what others can see.

My surprise stones are for me. I love knowing that they're there and what they signify.

My "Us" ring. Celebrating the completion of our little family: 3 blue and 1 pink sapphire representing my husband, 2 boys and me, respectively.

I ❤️ them.

_28415.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results