shape
carat
color
clarity

surface graining - are they reaching the surface?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
Surface graining... Does this mean that the graining is on the surface? in the other words, reaching the surface of the stone?
How a diamond can have surface graining and have EX in polish?? I''m confused....

Thanks,
Toni

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found this info for you.

"Graining is a natural characteristic of the diamond crystal. There is no way to remove it, so it''s not a reflection of the cut quality."

Also one of the experts mentioned in another thread that if the surface graining is a real issue, it could be reflected in the polish grading as poor or fair.

Surface graining is just part of the structure of the diamond crystal.

SSam

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/24/2006 6:46:05 AM
Author:oceanbeach
Hi,
Surface graining... Does this mean that the graining is on the surface? in the other words, reaching the surface of the stone?
How a diamond can have surface graining and have EX in polish?? I''m confused....

Thanks,
Toni
If there is surface graining it is often much harder to polish the stone as the growth line usually run in different directions in those areas. Polishing accross different growth directions means it can be very difficult to achieve excellent polish... not impossible, just difficult.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/24/2006 6:46:05 AM
Author:oceanbeach
Hi,

Thanks,
Toni
Sounds like an oxymoron to me too????

I guess they mean the graining is just under the girdle an not bad enough to rate as VG polish - but they felt they needed to mention it - otherwise they were being too lenient ?????????

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/24/2006 7:56:45 AM
Author: Lorelei
I found this info for you.

''Graining is a natural characteristic of the diamond crystal. There is no way to remove it, so it''s not a reflection of the cut quality.''

Also one of the experts mentioned in another thread that if the surface graining is a real issue, it could be reflected in the polish grading as poor or fair.

Surface graining is just part of the structure of the diamond crystal.
So, does it mean that a stone which has EX for polish and notes stating "surface graining not shown" is safe buy? no problem at all??

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/24/2006 8:58:00 AM
Author: oceanbeach

So, does it mean that a stone which has EX for polish and notes stating ''surface graining not shown'' is safe buy? no problem at all??
Yes, usually it means it''s okay. When you see the notes stating "surface graining not shown", it actually means that they did not plot it on the diamond map, not that they are not there.
I have a diamond that has surface graining not shown and I was able to find my surface grain. It is on one of the small facets on top of my diamond, more towards the girdle and only on one facet. It took me a long time to find it and you can only see it with a loupe and when the light is hitting it a certain way, it looks like the facet has two levels, instead of one.
Sort of like when you throw a stone in the water and there is a ripple affect, that is what it looks like, except that it is only one ripple.

It is no big deal as long as as there is no strain, which I would be worried about more.

GOG has some excellent info on this- check out this website page-

http://www.goodoldgold.com/4Cs/Clarity/InclusionGallery/

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results