shape
carat
color
clarity

Stupid Patent claim for round brill

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Gary
On a recent trip to Israel I was talking to a very prominent patent lawyer that specializes in diamond patents. He was telling me that very few of the recent applications and patent awards (mostly fancy cuts) would withstand a strong legal challenge. Mostly due to novelty issues caused by the thousands of designs created and published by amateur faceters cutting semi precious stones.

Johan

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here Here Johan!!

I think the whole patent issue is now out of hand.
People are trying to patent obvious things, like a 10 click or a 12 click (normal round stones have sets of 8 clicks).

Fair enough when people like Gabi Tolkowsky create gems that are really out there - but at the rate we are going there will be more money made by lawyers than diamond cutters.

Has anyone read this patent and found any novelty that my skimming missed?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is currect that a lot of the patents that are just gemstone cuts applied to diamonds will not stand up.
The problem is that it costs atleast $100000 at a min and an averge $1 million to challenge a patent in court.
Those that work in the software world have been dealing with this kind of junk for many years now.
The US patent system is very broken.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results