shape
carat
color
clarity

"Stuck" with a 3CT RB, Sell? Trade in/Upgrade? Recut? Keep? Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jgny

Shiny_Rock
So, I was just told that a 3 CT RB I had purchased last year was not going to be returnable.

(LONG) story here

So, now I am trying to figure out what my options are. So far:

1) Sell and take a HUGE loss. Probably only 50% of what I paid for it.

2) Trade in and upgrade it - problem is that I don''t think I will get any more in a trade in than direct selling. I''ve spoken to a few people and most want to handle it as two different transactions.

3) Take the risk and recut it. Take some loss for a better cut. Certainly better than taking the huge loss but talk about nail-biting! And there''s the risk that something could go terribly wrong.

4) Just keep it. Set it in a beautiful setting and pray I will be happy with it. Realize that it''s just a diamond, don''t stress, and be thankful that I have this "luxury" "problem".

Does anyone have any more ideas as to what I can do? Are there any jewelers that will provide a decent trade-in if I buy a larger stone?

Thanks to all in advance. I''m just beating myself up for being so uneducated. Tough way to learn a lesson.
32.gif

vanderaf

Shiny_Rock
I would seriously consider recutting it. Brian Gavin recut my grandmother''s Old Europen Cut diamond that was in terrible shape and turned it into an ideal cut modern brilliant. It is not very costly to do and will be your least expensive option and you will still have a very large diamond. I am no expert but that is what I would do.

HVVS

Brilliant_Rock
I recut costs in the hundreds (od dollars.) I'd try for a recut, because the only way that I see you'll lose is if the diamond is totally destroyed. (Unless the diamond has feathers or other clarity issues that might be structural, or might reach the surface when the recut is done.) If you're going to lose over 50% selling it or trading it (and I've seen/heard lots of anecdotal evidence that nowadays buyers, particularly jewelers, are going be offering only 15% to 25%), if you wind up with a well cut smaller diamond, you'll still be farther ahead. Halo anything 7.5mm and up and it looks huge.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 9:47:21 AM
Author: vanderaf
I would seriously consider recutting it. Brian Gavin recut my grandmother's Old Europen Cut diamond that was in terrible shape and turned it into an ideal cut modern brilliant. It is not very costly to do and will be your least expensive option and you will still have a very large diamond. I am no expert but that is what I would do.
Ditto, recut with Brian Gavin. I wouldn't trust it to just anyone.

There is no way I would set it. It will look like glass I'm sorry to say and I don't think you'll be happy.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I understand that recutting is risky, but I really feel it is your best option here. As stated in the previous thread, you have a steep/deep with a large table, so recutting to a 2.75 carat or smaller 60/60 is the only option, but that would perform infinitely better than your current stone. And financially it is a drop in the bucket compared to taking a 50% hit when trying to sell or upgrade the stone.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would also say recut with Brian Gavin. Depending on the cut of your stone, he may be able to recut it without loosing too much weight and the diameter might even stay close to the same size. Cut will make all the difference and then you can set it into the setting of your dreams!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/29/2010 11:02:17 AM
Author: mrssalvo
I would also say recut with Brian Gavin. Depending on the cut of your stone, he may be able to recut it without loosing too much weight and the diameter might even stay close to the same size. Cut will make all the difference and then you can set it into the setting of your dreams!

Ditto...talk to Brian Gavin and see if he can do a recut.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thritto. I would only trust Brain Gavin to recut it. It seems the best choice with the least lost.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Assess for a recut at the very least. The color & clarity are good ... its just the cut that you''re not pleased with. A 2.75-ish ideal cut stone will still be a big leap from your 2ct -- and in a Leon setting (or Leon halo''d setting) - it''ll look fab.

Selling it & then adding 50%++ MORE $$ to get to the magic 3 ct mark seems
14.gif
to me at least. Unless you''ve changed your mind about the SHAPE you''d like ... RECUT RECUT RECUT (I mean, TRY for a recut ... if Brian Gavin doesn''t think it has potential -- might reconsider)

upgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Brian Gavin recut. That man has done some fabulous work. I figure it''s worth a shot, since you''re not happy with it as is anyway. Maybe after he''s through with it, it''ll knock your socks off and give you a happy ending.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes,recut,then send to AGS for a new lab report.
36.gif

eta; you spent $60+K buying from a friend of a friend jeweler
20.gif
could of bought a well cut F VS1 2.75ct for the same $$$'s.

tonyc2387

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/29/2010 7:04:59 PM
Author: Dancing Fire
yes,recut,then send to AGS for a new lab report.
36.gif

I''m sure DF means,
before pics, recut, AGS for report, after pics, post pics!

i''m really sorry to hear you''re stuck with a diamond you''re not in love with... but +1 on recut. you''ll be too distracted by the sparkly/shiny to notice any size difference... sounds like a happy ending to me
1.gif

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
First, have you gone out and seen what a 2.75ct 60/60 type excellent cut diamond looks like? Try and find one at a local store to compare with your current diamond. Do you like it better? Does it perform better to your eye? This will help you to know if it is really worth it or not to attempt a recut. If you do like the comparison diamond more, then call Brian and pursue the recut.

shiny29

Rough_Rock
So sorry about this ordeal. Maybe others would know if there''s any type of insurance that would cover the liability of a recut? I''m guessing not, but thought I would throw that out there.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi jgny

I am so sorry to hear you are still unhappy.....The first thing I would do is speak to Brian Gavin, let him look at the stone and advise you. If you did go for a recut, another thing to bear in mind is that although you might lose some weight ( and this depends on the quality of the cut you go for) it might not look a lot smaller due to stopping that leakage and the superior edge to edge light return you could end up with. This means the diamond could be lighting up from all over the stone so you will maximise the visual size. Rather like swapping a dim light bulb for a bright one! I would just have a chat with Brian and once you have an expert's opinion, you can decide how to proceed. He is so nice to deal with, as is his wife Lesley.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
jgny, I know I''m like the 10th person saying this but email Lesley at Brian Gavin diamonds. They are wonderful, caring people and you will probably be able to send the stone to them at get Brian''s opinion of a recut. If you don''t like it, they can just send it back. I read through the whole other thread, and I think now that you know a little more about diamonds you are going to notice the things people said/illustrated more and it will probably bother you to look at the stone. For 60k, you should have something you like.

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all! Talk about overwhelming majority vote :) I will definitely explore and provide an update. Thanks again to everyone who took the time to give their input!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry your friend wouldn''t exchange it - how is your friendship holding up?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

I just looked at the photos in your other thread. Sorry about your situation. I''d for sure have the diamond recut.

Best of luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results