shape
carat
color
clarity

Strong WHITE Fluorescence? Experts and Pros please chime in.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Strong WHITE Fluorescence? Experts and Pros please chime

I almost bought this stone ages ago it has strong white fluorescence too if you look at the GIA report;

http://www.doverjewelry.com/product/gia-3-01ct-g-vs2-solitaire-diamond-platinum-engagement-ring/

When I emailed them they said it made that stone look more white (less tinted) so facing higher than a G, no negative impact at all..... I love that stone, but I can't come to terms with the price of it.

I assume it would be the same as the other fluoro colours like the more common blue, that can make a small number of diamonds look hazy and smucky - I saw one with blue fluoro badly effected like it was straining to sparkle properly which was fascinating but it didn't do much for the diamond, I've seen other small stone where it took on a beautiful bluish hue in the sunlight and was crystal clear like ice/water the rest of the time. I'd email them and ask.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not an expert, but I would assume it would be like any other color of fluorescence. It may or may not have a negative effect, and there are other factors such as clarity that will come into play. According to GOG, diamonds can have blue, yellow, green, orange, or white fluorescence with blue being the most common.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

arkieb1|1406868367|3724263 said:
I almost bought this stone ages ago it has strong white fluorescence too if you look at the GIA report;

http://www.doverjewelry.com/product/gia-3-01ct-g-vs2-solitaire-diamond-platinum-engagement-ring/

When I emailed them they said it made that stone look more white (less tinted) so facing higher than a G, no negative impact at all..... I love that stone, but I can't come to terms with the price of it.

I assume it would be the same as the other fluoro colours like the more common blue, that can make a small number of diamonds look hazy and smucky - I saw one with blue fluoro badly effected like it was straining to sparkle properly which was fascinating but it didn't do much for the diamond, I've seen other small stone where it took on a beautiful bluish hue in the sunlight and was crystal clear like ice/water the rest of the time. I'd email them and ask.
Hi Arkieb, I think there are few modern round diamonds as badly cut as that one, unless its offered as an old cut diamond? So the white fluoro would be the least of its problems. No pert of its proportions or grades are attractive.

Re the topic - in my very limited experiance with white fluoro - its not been good, but its not an evidence based opinion because I have only seen a few. One was a very very milky stone - more like an opal, and that had redeeming features as a collectors item. I would insist on an independant appraiser check out such a stone in person.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

First of all ROFLMAO at Gary.

Second, I actually wondered if it could make stones appear like moonstones or opals. It seemed like it might. Nice to know I might be right.

Third of all, I wouldn't trust anything Dover says. At all. In any way shape or form. I bought a diamond and emerald band from them. It was lovely. It was listed at such and such carat weight. When I got the band it was immediately apparent that it was no such thing and significantly less weight. How did I confirm that? Well a moment of inspection showed me that it had something engraved inside. I pulled out my loupe. It was the diamond and emerald weights respectively, listed right there on the band. No missing it, yet... somehow someone there, who spent the time estimating the weight of the band did so.

Another time I bought a DBY necklace with 7 stations at had originally been sold by Dover. It was listed at .5 carat weight (direct from the Dover). Which would have made it 7 pointers. It took me, literally, 2 minutes after opening the box to realize that there was no way in h*ll the stones in the necklace were 7 pointers. The ended up being 3 pointers. For a ctw of .21. If you have ever looked at a 7 pointer and a 2 or 3 pointer there is NO WAY you would confuse the two.

On the plus side, they are very friendly about returns (the necklace), and adjustments (I asked for and received a very nice adjustment for my emerald band, which I kept). I have even talked to the guy Mo a few times. Friendly guy. Can't grade or inspect jewelry worth a damn and neither apparently can anyone working for him.

My prevailing theory is that they use a dart board for their grading. An dart board geared to inflated values. So I would absolutely not buy a wonky early MRB with weird numbers and strange fluorescence from them without it going to Neil Beaty first. FINALLY, I would be SHOCKED if their price on that piece was not negotiable Arkieb. Mo struck me as a man that knows and appreciates the value of a good haggle.

I think I will inquired at B2C about that stone though, I am curious as to what their gemologist has to say. From the picture posted though, there looks like there might be something going on.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wouldn't buy a modern RB with those numbers.... YES according to them it was "supposed" to be an old cut, at the time it did actually occur to me that it was badly overpriced for what it was. Sorry Gypsy I wasn't aware they lie about cut and everything else, I have never purchased anything specifically from them, so I had no reason to assume they were lying. As far as I am aware Garry, GIA does mislabel transitionals and OECs as RBS, - I currently own a magnificent fat arrowed transitional labelled by GIA as a RB with crap RB numbers and a crap HCA.

I was merely pointing out another stone with strong white fluorescence where the sellers are claiming that it somehow magically positively impacts the stone. Gypsy said she has never seen another stone with white fluoro, I've seen three others come up for sale this one, a small RB that was for sale a couple of years ago at Blue Nile, that was according to them negatively impacted by it, and a magnificent diamond that came up for auction at Sotherbys that they also claimed at the time was somehow positively impacted by it. I think owning a diamond where the white fluoro makes it face much whiter is kind of cool, but I also thought the starship enterprise diamond Erica had was very cool and I purchased a preloved AVC mainly just so that I could examine the cut of it because we don't really get to go to a shop and see them here in Australia and that's just my geeky personally I want to SEE these things for myself!!!

If the above linked stone was a fraction of that price, and the white fluorescence did make it much whiter I'd probably buy it just for the novelty of seeing it. I've also always wanted a stone with red or pink fluorescence irrespective of cut (which I think I've read one or two members have or found). I saw a fancy yellow cushion a while ago listed on RapNet that had a greenish yellow fluorescence that I thought look really cool as well 8-)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

That's why we share our experienced on here. So we can warn and advise one another.

To be clear. I would still buy items from Dover. They have fantastic selection. But I would buy only based on pictures, and not what they say. And, since they have a good return policy, I would (depending on if it is something I can evaluate alone or if I need an appraiser) have an appraiser on standby for immediate review. And honestly, if it was high dollar, I probably wouldn't even use my local appraiser, I'd have it sent to Neil before it even got to me.

I would advise anyone I know is a smart PSer, like you, to do the same. That said, I wouldn't recommend Dover to newbies, without a lot of reservations. As most of them don't know a 7 point diamond from a 3 point, and also don't always listen when we say "you need a REALLY good appraiser."

:wavey:

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock

I've only seen one stone with strong white fluorescence in person.

I wouldn't describe it as 'cloudy' in sunlight, but there was definitely a (slightly negative) visual effect (GIA-rate 'Strong', FWIW).

Under a UV light, it had a really cool, almost-frosted appearance. However, this was definitely not enough to encourage me to purchase the stone.

As much as I enjoy many different fluor colors, I have stayed away from white fluor.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results