shape
carat
color
clarity

Strong - Medium - Faint Flourescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Could someone explain the effect this has on a diamond? maybe post some pictures showing the difference?

Thanks
emstar.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Photos of fluorescence taken inside a black light box are very difficult to create. I made a digital image for you that mimics what we see. Envision a round diamond in a totally black chamber only irradiated by invisble black, UV lighting. You''d see something like the following image.

Fluorescence less than medium has no real effect on the diamond as we see it. It does have some minor effect on value as a negotiating tool. Fluorescence of medium or more may visibly alter the way some diamonds look. Strong fluorescence does have an effect on value and usually on appearance, too.

fluorescece image.jpg

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I can only comment on faint flourescence, as that is what I have. I have never seen any hint of it except when it was being appraised and was placed in the UV box. Then it glowed faint blue beside the medium and strong diamond beside it. I have read some people''s posts about seeing the flourescence in the sun but I can see none. The day I got the diamond, I ran around examing it in every light imaginable-not even a tinge of light. I think with faint, you are hard pressed to find any blue.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/28/2005 4:35:13 PM
Author: lovelylulu
could you describe what flour looks like in a diamond
Ooh! Another fluoresence thread - right up my alley!
9.gif

I bought a 0.74ct RB D color with strong blue fluoresence. To me the fluoresence looks like - well - nothing! My stone does not have an oily or hazy appearance to it at all. I wanted a colorless diamond, and as were many in the past, I was hesitant given the "bum rap" fluoresence has received. But I read through the GIA study on fluoresence published in 1997, and I took a chance. I''m glad I did! I don''t know if I really see the effects of fluoresence on it at all - it seems to look just like my 0.52ct G with no fluoresence in virtually every light (except for the slight body color difference, of course).

Here is the link to the GIA study on fluoresence published in 1997. It is a very educational, interesting read, with many pictures.

This is the link to my stone.

Below is a collage I put together once of my stone under a blacklight -

Does this help answer your question of "what does fluoresence look like?" (FWIW, I think that fluoresence is overcriticized and underappreciated, especially in colorless stones - people used to WANT fluoresence in their diamonds, but, alas, times do change... (which leaves more diamonds for me, then, I guess!))

Fluoresence collage copyb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results