shape
carat
color
clarity

Strong Blue Flourescence -- YHEA or NAY?? MAYBE!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Robbenz

Rough_Rock
Earlier this week you guys pointed out a link to a stone that WF has in their Expect Selection for someone else to consider. Well after mucho reviews and research I now have my eye on that particular stone. More than anything I like the size of that stone and its relative cost. Other stones at that size are out of my price range. From what I gather many here seem to believe that just the fact WF has it in their Expect collection that this stone is a winner. Still, I am hesistant about the "Stong Blue" Flouro. Seriously, if it were you would you let this be the deciding factor? That strong blue stone weighs in at I believe 1.23 C and the others I''m considering are closer to 1.1 C.

What is your concensus on purchasing strong blue flouro? I know this is often a matter of personal preference, but I REALLY need to hear what others perferences are in this regard.

The details for this sb stone (and the other stones I''m debating on) are included in my earlier post.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
My original e-ring stone has strong blue flour and it is a beautiful stone. We didn't know anything about buying diamonds at the time, but most experts who look at it agree it's a beautiful stone even tho is it a low color (k/L), and the flour adds something extra to it. There have been some lengthy discussions about flourescence in the past. You might want to do some searches and read them. I would also call WH and talk to Brian the cutter about ths specific stone. He will give you the straight scoop about the effect it has on the stone and on the stone overall.

Robbenz

Rough_Rock
Thanks again Lop for your reply. I did search and read most of the posts regarding Flouro. It seems that "generally" the concern has more to do with possibly loss in value for re-sale of a stone that has strong flouro. Since I can''t imagine wanting to get rid of a strone this size ANY time soon, this is the least of my worries. I also conclude that "generally" as long as the strong blue flouro does not cloud the appearance of the stone, then the only way you even know that the stone has this fluro is under certain lighting. I''m just wondering/concerned that maybe there is something else to consider, since it does appear that WF has "discounted" this stone simply because of this feature.

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
In regards to the obvious discount on the diamond, I once heard in this forum that people buying diamonds online tend to want little to no flourence, basically because it is just one less characteristic to be concerned about. Like previously mentioned, I would just call WF and have them personally look at the stone. They would definitely tell you if the strong flourence is negatively affecting the diamond.

Good luck!!
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
maybe,
In bright sunlight and other times it can give the diamond a blueish tint some people like it some dont.
As long as it doesnt make the diamond oily looking I think the blueish fiery look of them in bright light is kinda kewl.
I wouldnt want it on an asscher but on a round it is kind of kewl.
The thing is that you have to be expecting it so when it does look blueish you dont think something is wrong with it.
Its really a mental thing is it kewl or not for it to have a blueish tint/glow?
If the answer is yes its kewl well then you have your answer :}

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/18/2004 6:36:47 PM
Author: Robbenz
Thanks again Lop for your reply. I did search and read most of the posts regarding Flouro. It seems that ''generally'' the concern has more to do with possibly loss in value for re-sale of a stone that has strong flouro. Since I can''t imagine wanting to get rid of a strone this size ANY time soon, this is the least of my worries. I also conclude that ''generally'' as long as the strong blue flouro does not cloud the appearance of the stone, then the only way you even know that the stone has this fluro is under certain lighting. I''m just wondering/concerned that maybe there is something else to consider, since it does appear that WF has ''discounted'' this stone simply because of this feature.

Hi Robbenz

The international wholesale market discounts some features (often out of ignorance) and sometimes applies premiums.
A discerning consumer can often take advantage of these discounts. Two of the best are “Strong Blue Fluorescence” in high colors, and unpopular certification.
As long as the strong blue does not affect the transparency (it usually doesn’t) then in my opinion it does nothing to adversely effect the beauty.

If you are looking at unpopular certification be sure to work with a knowledgeable suitably qualified appraiser

Johan

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
blue is my favorite color, so i certainly don''t mind it!! good luck!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I agree that you should first call WF and talk to Brian. He can tell you whether there is ANY negative effect of the fluorescence on that particular diamond.

I would not hesitate to buy a diamond with fluorescence, and I actually prefer it in my diamond, even in higher colors. There was a time when fluorescent diamonds were priced at a premium over non-fluorescent diamonds. Now it is the other way around. Seems to me, it could flip-flop around that way again in the future, sort of like the trend between yellow and white metal for settings.
20.gif

I would recommend comparing similar diamonds (cut, color) with and without fluorescence next to one another. If you like the effect of the fluorescence, then it is definitely a bonus. I had the opportunity to do this with a friend, and I chose the fluorescent diamond every time whereas she chose the ones without. In our little experiment, it came down to personal preference. I certainly would not turn down a diamond without fluroescence, nor would she turn one down with it. But all things considered, I would rather have it, and getting a discount on top is just the icing on the cake.
3.gif

DiamondLil

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone should be delivered with a UW penlight
2.gif

Yeah, I know there is that resale argument, but the diamond is discounted to begin with, so even that is debatable. Couldn''t say anything bad about a cool one like that !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results