shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone size compared to finger size - suggestions?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I plan to purchase this Gabriel & Co setting and put a round tsavorite in it:
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7478W44JJ

I have both a 6.5mm stone and a 5.7mm stone that would work (IDJ confirmed they could order this setting for either size stone). I normally like larger stones, however I want to be able to see the detail on the shank from the top of my finger, since the sides are so pretty. So if my finger size is a 4.25, would you suggest ordering the setting for the larger stone or the smaller one? If I went with the larger one, would much of the sides be covered? I have tried cutting out pieces of paper to see how they look on my finger and its just really hard to tell... Especially because the height of the ring also probably effects how much of the shank I'll see.

(I have to decide by tomorrow morning because if I don't go with the 6.5mm stone I can still return it. If I don't use the 5.7mm stone, I'll either put it in a pendant or try to sell on DB.)

Hoping for the expert advice of PSers! Let me know what you would do.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It also depends on how big the stones in the halo are. I'm thinking the 6.5 mm stone might work better. Sometimes, stones that are small end up looking dwarfed by a halo.

You can ask the vendor this with regards for a 4.25 size setting:
1. What is the total width of the decorated part of the setting (from one notch to another)?
2. How large is the halo (one end to another)
3. What is the mm measurement of the diamonds used in the halo

They might not have such detailed answers but might be able to clue you in on what stone size is best to show off the sides.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Chrono said:
It also depends on how big the stones in the halo are. I'm thinking the 6.5 mm stone might work better. Sometimes, stones that are small end up looking dwarfed by a halo.

You can ask the vendor this with regards for a 4.25 size setting:
1. What is the total width of the decorated part of the setting (from one notch to another)?
2. How large is the halo (one end to another)
3. What is the mm measurement of the diamonds used in the halo

They might not have such detailed answers but might be able to clue you in on what stone size is best to show off the sides.

Thank you Chrono! I will contact them this morning with these questions. I'm starting to lean towards the 6.5mm stone, I think you might be right about the smaller stone being dwarfed by the halo. I just want to make sure that I can still see most of the detail on the sides. But hopefully the answers to those questions will help me determine that. Thanks again!

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
Hi star,
I tried on this setting:
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7527W44JJ

It is made for a .75 cushion. The setting had a .75 cushion CZ in it as a sample. My ring size is 5 and I had a very full finger coverage. The halo almost took up the top half of my finger! But, while I have small finger size, they are also super short. The setting you picked has a larger width than the one I tried on. I bet you will get very good finger coverage. The setting is recommended for a 6.5 mm round, but that is the stock setting, so you can get a center stone larger or smaller. It all depends on what you like!! Will you be able to try it one first?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
mandasand said:
Hi star,
I tried on this setting:
http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7527W44JJ

It is made for a .75 cushion. The setting had a .75 cushion CZ in it as a sample. My ring size is 5 and I had a very full finger coverage. The halo almost took up the top half of my finger! But, while I have small finger size, they are also super short. The setting you picked has a larger width than the one I tried on. I bet you will get very good finger coverage. The setting is recommended for a 6.5 mm round, but that is the stock setting, so you can get a center stone larger or smaller. It all depends on what you like!! Will you be able to try it one first?

Thank you mandasand, that is a gorgeous setting! I don't think I'll be able to try it on first, I'm not sure that any local jewelers in my area carry their settings :knockout: But based on your experience, it sounds like even if I go with the smaller stone I should still get decent finger coverage. My only concern with the smaller stone is that the halo would overpower it... I might take both of my stones to my local jeweler today just to try them on with various halo settings just to get an idea of how both of them look in a halo. I've also emailed IDJ with a few questions so hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you look at the ring in my avatar picture, that sapphire is 6.6mm. I wouldn't have done a center stone any smaller or I think it simply would look too small. I'd set the smaller one in a pendant, but definitely the larger one for the ring. I still think mine looks small.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did YOU buy the 6.5mm round Gemfix tsavorite??? That stone getting snapped up is what made me move on the Gemrite one, since they were the two I was eyeing. It looked like a very pretty stone. I have a 4.5 finger and I agree you need to know the info Chrono posted - a 6.5 mm stone goes about halfway across my finger. But I think there would still be room to see the side detail - it may wrap around a little but you should be able to see all of it unless your fingers are squeezed shut, is my guess.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
If you look at the ring in my avatar picture, that sapphire is 6.6mm. I wouldn't have done a center stone any smaller or I think it simply would look too small. I'd set the smaller one in a pendant, but definitely the larger one for the ring. I still think mine looks small.

Thank you DS!!! I love your ring and I think the proportions are perfect! And yours has beautiful detail on the shank and you can still see it looking at it from the top (I just checked out your thread on it). What is your finger size? And do you know the total mm measurement of the halo?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1341244965|3227280 said:
Did YOU buy the 6.5mm round Gemfix tsavorite??? That stone getting snapped up is what made me move on the Gemrite one, since they were the two I was eyeing. It looked like a very pretty stone. I have a 4.5 finger and I agree you need to know the info Chrono posted - a 6.5 mm stone goes about halfway across my finger. But I think there would still be room to see the side detail - it may wrap around a little but you should be able to see all of it unless your fingers are squeezed shut, is my guess.

Yup, I confess it was me :naughty: I was going to make an offer on NKOTB's tsavorite on DB but I return half the stuff I buy so I thought it would be better to go with the Gemfix stone since I can return it if I need to. I LOVE the Gemfix stone but I definitely want to return it if I'm not going to use it for this project. I bought the 5.7mm stone from Vance Gems at the Intergem show at an excellent price but it just looks so little to me. But with a halo it might look great... I really wish I was able to try on the setting before having to decide. I sent an email with the questions to IDJ so we'll see what they respond.

I love your Gemrite stone by the way! Can't wait to see what you do with it.

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
Do you plan on having a wedding band too? The band that matches may just be too much with your little fingers!

The only way to find if there is a retailer near you is to send the "store locator" request on the Gabriel website. They will email you with a local retailer within a few days. Whatever retailer it is, call them first and see if they have that setting, if not, ask them to "bring it in" for you.

If you are working with IDJ, I'm sure they can suggest the best size stone for that setting as well.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stargurl78|1341245016|3227281 said:
diamondseeker2006 said:

Thank you DS!!! I love your ring and I think the proportions are perfect! And yours has beautiful detail on the shank and you can still see it looking at it from the top (I just checked out your thread on it). What is your finger size? And do you know the total mm measurement of the halo?

The ring is a 6 and the halo total width is 9mm. Thanks! I do love my ring! But because the center is smaller than it could have been on my finger, I think that size will look even better on you, actually.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
mandasand|1341245677|3227289 said:
Do you plan on having a wedding band too? The band that matches may just be too much with your little fingers!

The only way to find if there is a retailer near you is to send the "store locator" request on the Gabriel website. They will email you with a local retailer within a few days. Whatever retailer it is, call them first and see if they have that setting, if not, ask them to "bring it in" for you.

If you are working with IDJ, I'm sure they can suggest the best size stone for that setting as well.

No wedding band, it will be a RHR. Thanks for the suggestion about finding a retailer, I'll go on their site and do that now.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1341245879|3227293 said:
The ring is a 6 and the halo total width is 9mm. Thanks! I do love my ring! But because the center is smaller than it could have been on my finger, I think that size will look even better on you, actually.

Thank you for the info DS! I normally do like larger stones, I just want to make sure that I can see the shank detail on the ring. I haven't received an email response from Luann as of yet so I might give them a call (sometimes it takes weeks for me to get an email response) or I might give GOG a call for their advice since they carry Gabriel settings.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
DS your ring looks beautiful and proportionate. :love: Good luck stargirlz and thanks; this discussion is helping me with my 6.5 oval mahenge spinel.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
wordie89 said:
DS your ring looks beautiful and proportionate. :love: Good luck stargirlz and thanks; this discussion is helping me with my 6.5 oval mahenge spinel.

What are you planning to set your spinel in? :naughty:

Well I tried calling IDJ and they are closed through July 16th. GOG is also closed on Mondays. So I'm going to stop by my local jeweler after work today and try on both stones with some different halos.

I also found out that 2 stores in my area carry Gabriel settings. Unfortunately neither of them have this particular one but they can call it in for me to see. Unfortunately, if I do that I will be past the return period for the Gemfix stone and I'll be stuck with both of them... I really hope that going and trying some other halos on today will help me make up my mind.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just put my ring on my left ring finger which is a 5.5 and the sides would still show. I put it on my pinky finger which is a 3.5-4 and it was still fine. I really think smaller than a 6.5 is really going to be too small for a ring. If the stones are the same color, a matching pendant would be great. But I wouldn't buy that setting for smaller than the 6.5 (1 carat diamond size) especially as a colored stone ring. It won't be too big.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1341251651|3227341 said:
I just put my ring on my left ring finger which is a 5.5 and the sides would still show. I put it on my pinky finger which is a 3.5-4 and it was still fine. I really think smaller than a 6.5 is really going to be too small for a ring. If the stones are the same color, a matching pendant would be great. But I wouldn't buy that setting for smaller than the 6.5 (1 carat diamond size) especially as a colored stone ring. It won't be too big.

Thank you for testing out your ring on different fingers DS, that is very helpful. I'm leaning towards using the 6.5mm at this point. I could always sell the other stone on DB, or like you said put it in a pendant (I don't really wear necklaces all that much so I'd probably try to sell it). I was going through one of the halo threads on here and came across this ring:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-finally-here-my-avc-in-a-bella-halo-by-jbeg.171476/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-finally-here-my-avc-in-a-bella-halo-by-jbeg.171476/[/URL]

The ring size is a 4.25 and her stone is over 6mm wide with a 2mm halo. I think the coverage looks great and you can still see the shank on each side of the halo. I've got to get back to work but maybe I'll see what else I can find in the halo thread later...

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
stargurl78 said:
diamondseeker2006|1341251651|3227341 said:

Thank you for testing out your ring on different fingers DS, that is very helpful. I'm leaning towards using the 6.5mm at this point. I could always sell the other stone on DB, or like you said put it in a pendant (I don't really wear necklaces all that much so I'd probably try to sell it). I was going through one of the halo threads on here and came across this ring:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-finally-here-my-avc-in-a-bella-halo-by-jbeg.171476/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/its-finally-here-my-avc-in-a-bella-halo-by-jbeg.171476/[/URL]

The ring size is a 4.25 and her stone is over 6mm wide with a 2mm halo. I think the coverage looks great and you can still see the shank on each side of the halo. I've got to get back to work but maybe I'll see what else I can find in the halo thread later...

That's my e-ring :) I am really a size 3.5 but I got a 4.25 since I was stacking two wedding bands with the e-ring. I suggest going up in size if you plan on wearing multiple bands with your e-ring. 6mm is perfect for a halo !

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Resonance.Of.Life said:
stargurl78 said:

That's my e-ring :) I am really a size 3.5 but I got a 4.25 since I was stacking two wedding bands with the e-ring. I suggest going up in size if you plan on wearing multiple bands with your e-ring. 6mm is perfect for a halo !

Your ring is stunning!! This actually won't be an e-ring, I'll be wearing it on my right hand. So since yours is just over 6mm, if you had to choose between a 5.7mm stone or a 6.5mm, which would you choose? Would you go slightly smaller or slightly larger than your e-ring stone?

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Mm for a RHR, since it's a colored stone, I would go bigger :) IF it's a cathedral setting, I'm sure you would be able to see the sides of the shank as well.

I actually just lost my ring :( So I'm on a search for a new one.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resonance.Of.Life|1341256621|3227370 said:
Mm for a RHR, since it's a colored stone, I would go bigger :) IF it's a cathedral setting, I'm sure you would be able to see the sides of the shank as well.

WHAT? Your gorgeous gorgeous bella?! ;( I just saw your post on JbEG's FB!!!! Oh no!!!

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Not to threadjack: But yes, I lost it and that was the last picture I had of it. I last had my set on Saturday... I was eating at a cajun seafood restaurant (think shrimp with crab boil and spices in a bag) so I took it off to eat.. and forgot to put them back on :(. I didn't realize it till the next day when I went to put them back on and realized they were not on my jewelry tray. We went back to the restaurant and no one found anything, and then 2 employees and my husband and I went dumpster diving since they didn't pick up the trash yet. Nothing found. The manager said he would call us if they found anything and asked the employees that were there Saturday night if they found anything.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1341257014|3227377 said:
Resonance.Of.Life|1341256621|3227370 said:

WHAT? Your gorgeous gorgeous bella?! ;( I just saw your post on JbEG's FB!!!! Oh no!!!
The Bella?! Nooooooo :-o I absolutely adore that ring-it is one of my favorites

I am so sorry to hear you lost it. ;( Is insurance going to cover it??

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I love the setting you are looking at getting! :love: I think for a colored stone RHR, I would go with the larger of the two stones.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Oh no, I can't believe you lost the Bella!!!! Hopefully it will turn up and they'll contact you soon. And I hope you had insurance!!

Thanks armywife, I think it is a gorgeous setting :love: So it seems that the consensus is to go for the larger stone. I guess that's what I should have expected from PSers :bigsmile:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Yay! I can't wait to see how it turns out, I am sure it will be gorgeous!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
stargurl78|1341258854|3227401 said:
Oh no, I can't believe you lost the Bella!!!! Hopefully it will turn up and they'll contact you soon. And I hope you had insurance!!

Thanks armywife, I think it is a gorgeous setting :love: So it seems that the consensus is to go for the larger stone. I guess that's what I should have expected from PSers :bigsmile:

Well, I am one of the few that thinks there IS a limit for ME in regards to diamond size :bigsmile: , but for a colored stone ring, a 1 ct. size is really modest. The finger coverage between those two would be tiny, but the stone not looking lost in a halo is important.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wear a 4.25 and I'd go with the larger stone. I agree with DS - I think a smaller stone will get lost in a halo.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I just tried on a few halos that fit my 2 stones. While there isn't a huge difference in the 2, the larger stone does look better so I'm pretty sure that's the one I'm going to go with. Now I just have to save up the dollars for the setting! :$$):

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I just got to try on this setting!!! I called around yesterday to see if anyone in my area carried Gabriel settings and found a local jeweler that could order it in and they received it today! It looks great with my 6.5mm stone and its definitely not too big on my hand. He said they have to return it by the end of the week though so I have to make a decision fast. They do offer 12 months same as cash which is quite appealing. My only question is - This ring is definitely several sizes too large, if they size it down to a 4.25 will that be a bad idea because of the diamonds on the shank? I was hoping if I decided to purchase this ring, that they could order it in my size but he said they could just size that one for me. Let me know what you guys think...

(I'm mad at myself for not remembering to take any pics of it! :nono: )

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results