shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone keeps getting knocked loose -Should I change the head?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I love my engagement ring and the diamond that my husband picked out for me. But I'll be honest, I don't love the profile view of the ring and I usually prefer 6 prongs over 4 for round stones. The head is very tall and even though I am very careful with my jewelry, I have knocked the stone loose 2 or 3 times already (but thankfully I was able to have the prongs tightened before I lost the stone).

z%20ering5.jpg

I have talked to Denise at BGD about changing the head to a lower 6-prong head. I actually want to cut out part of the band and replace it with a donut and the tiffany-inspired head shown below. Denise said that based on my photos, they are fairly certain it can be done but they need to see the ring first.

My question is - do you think going with 6 prongs on a stone this size (0.79ct, 5.93 x 5.95mm) will make the stone look smaller because the prongs will "swallow" up the stone? Is the fact that it will be set lower also going to cause the stone to look smaller? Or will the 6 prongs actually make it look slightly larger? I know a lot of people don't think 6-prong heads should be used on stones under 1 ct but I don't like that the 4-prong setting makes the stone look slightly square-ish.

I know many will suggest that I just buy a whole new setting but I am sentimental about this one so that is not an option at this point. Let me know your thoughts and if you have any other suggestions. Thanks in advance!!

lgs_rs_wed_bandsss__12_0.jpg

6prong_0.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Stone keeps getting knocked loose -Should I change the h

Setting it lower will make it look smaller. I don't think the additional oomph from two more prongs will make up for the visual decrease in size from lowering --- but once you get over the initial *ouch*, the lower setting will be much more secure & user-friendly.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

My old stone was a .86 and I didn't think it looked small in a 6 prong at all. But I also had it set high.

I think 6 prongs make the stone look bigger and keep the roundness better than a 4 prong. If it's set SLIGHTLY lower than it presently is, I think it will be less whackable, without looking smaller, AND having 6 prongs will probably keep it from getting loose.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

Thanks Deco & Ame. So maybe if I tell them to set it somewhat high, it should be ok since it has the added protection of the extra prongs? I just don't want it to be quite as high as it is now, it measures approx. 8mm from the base of the ring to the top of the diamond.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

I'd ask Denise to send you some picks of a diamond in your size, set in a 6 prong head, just so you can get a perspective of what it will look like.They've made 100's of rings - there is bound to be one in their files that would match! She managed to send me some pics of diamonds that would be similar in size to mine, when I was asking about pendants and earrings. I even got ear and neck shots!! (blocked out faces of course...) but it sure helped!

Just ask - it will give you an idea of what to expect.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ame|1343676218|3243087 said:
My old stone was a .86 and I didn't think it looked small in a 6 prong at all. But I also had it set high.

I think 6 prongs make the stone look bigger and keep the roundness better than a 4 prong. If it's set SLIGHTLY lower than it presently is, I think it will be less whackable, without looking smaller, AND having 6 prongs will probably keep it from getting loose.

I agree. As long as the prongs are done nicely, I think 6 prongs will look great with your e-ring!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't think the six-prong setting will make it look smaller, but I think setting it lower will. BUT you have said You are very sentimentally attached to it, so I think it is a good trade off for a much-decreased risk of losing your stone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

The trade off makes sense to me. I would go for it. I would want my stone to be as safe as possible, while still in a setting style I like.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

Enerchi - That is a GREAT suggestion! I will definitely see if they can send over some pics. Thanks! :bigsmile:

Laila, Distracts, and Gypsy - Thank you for your thoughts! I do think it is a good trade-off and at this point I am leaning towards going for it...

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

ame - Do you have a profile pic of your old ring? I tried to find it on here but didn't have much luck... TIA! :wavey:

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have a .92 oval that was originally set in a 4 prong head. I was very certain that I wanted a 4 prong setting until I had worn it for a few months and could feel the ends of my diamond dragging along pockets, my purse when I'd reach in, etc etc. I switched to a six prong head and couldn't be happier! Not only are the prongs dainty, they really do make my diamond look bigger! Most importantly, I feel that my diamond is much more secure.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

stargurl78|1343738825|3243563 said:
ame - Do you have a profile pic of your old ring? I tried to find it on here but didn't have much luck... TIA! :wavey:
Found a couple on my phone! this was pre-reset on my current stone, but Ill look for the old ring at home.

isthisflour.jpg

sideview.jpg

GMUAlum08

Shiny_Rock

does a higher setting actually make a diamond look bigger? i've always heard this but never really understood the logic.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

ame - Thank you for the pics! Yours was set quite high, I do think I'll want to go lower than that since mine doesn't have the cathedral sides for added protection...

GMUAlum08|1343754079|3243686 said:
does a higher setting actually make a diamond look bigger? i've always heard this but never really understood the logic.

See Yssie's post in this thread:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/high-settings-are-they-ok-to-have.159341/#post-2895224?hilit=.81#p2895224']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/high-settings-are-they-ok-to-have.159341/#post-2895224?hilit=.81#p2895224[/URL]

GMUAlum08

Shiny_Rock

I get what she posted, but a few mm's of distance with a stone that is only a few mm's wide doesn't seem like enough to make a significant visual difference

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

GMUAlum08|1343755271|3243700 said:
I get what she posted, but a few mm's of distance with a stone that is only a few mm's wide doesn't seem like enough to make a significant visual difference

Yeah, you wouldn't think it would make a ton of difference... I'd be interested to see a side-by-side of two stones of the same size but one set in a low setting and one set high.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

GMUAlum08|1343754079|3243686 said:

Yes, it really does! I've had a high setting and a low, and it was a world of difference between the two.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

I understand what Yssie's saying in that thread re: setting height and how a higher set diamond will look larger *relative* to the finger upon which it is sitting. (When viewed from the top-down, of course.)

However, lower set stones have always looked larger to me. Think of a large beach ball. First, think of someone holding a large beach ball above her head with both hands on either side of the ball. Now, think of someone holding that same large beach ball right in front of her chest, and instead of holding it with her hands, she's holding it with her arms.

From my perspective, high-set stones look smaller to me because of those outstretched prongs starting with such a small V at the base--they are reaching up so high, there's so much metal and it's so close together, because of that the stone looks smaller in comparison. Whereas with a lower-set stone, the prongs are stretched out so wide from the base, the effect makes the stone look larger to me.

I'm not saying Yssie isn't correct when she makes the comparison about the top-down view, but in my experience that view is the one we see the least, of our own rings and of others'. At least, when I'm looking at rings I almost always see them from an angle, and that is why lower set stones look so much larger to me.

I also think the visual difference between high-set prongs and a low-set basket is so much more striking than the visual difference in the top-down view.

All that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to set my stone lower just because I feared it would make it look larger or smaller. If your stone is being knocked loose, that is so much more important than anything else. After all, no stone looks MUCH smaller than a low-set stone!

milton333

Brilliant_Rock

Haven|1343755892|3243710 said:
I understand what Yssie's saying in that thread re: setting height and how a higher set diamond will look larger *relative* to the finger upon which it is sitting. (When viewed from the top-down, of course.)

However, lower set stones have always looked larger to me. Think of a large beach ball. First, think of someone holding a large beach ball above her head with both hands on either side of the ball. Now, think of someone holding that same large beach ball right in front of her chest, and instead of holding it with her hands, she's holding it with her arms.

From my perspective, high-set stones look smaller to me because of those outstretched prongs starting with such a small V at the base--they are reaching up so high, there's so much metal and it's so close together, because of that the stone looks smaller in comparison. Whereas with a lower-set stone, the prongs are stretched out so wide from the base, the effect makes the stone look larger to me.

I'm not saying Yssie isn't correct when she makes the comparison about the top-down view, but in my experience that view is the one we see the least, of our own rings and of others'. At least, when I'm looking at rings I almost always see them from an angle, and that is why lower set stones look so much larger to me.

I agree that the prongs are a big part of this. My initial e-ring was a "maul" setting with 4 heavy prongs. All you saw from the side was the big metal triangle at the base of the head, which dwarfed the size of the stone. Mine was also high-set, and I actually have a scar on my finger near my knuckle from where the head of that ring would rock back and gouge at my skin (ring was looser in winter).

I have a new 4-prong setting (it's the Legato Sleek Line from WF), and the basket has so much less metal, I see lots of the side view of the diamond. To me, that's what I don't like about 6-prongs on a <1 ct diamond, you get back to having tons of metal obscuring the sides of the diamond, just a lot of bulk at the base of the basket. I'm less interested in what the prongs are doing around the entire circumference of the diamond, because I rarely see a full top-down view, I see the basket and side of the prongs far more than the table of the diamond and tips of the prongs. I've never bought into the theory that 4 prongs make a diamond look "squarer" and 6 prongs make it rounder - to me, it's all about how much metal is obscuring the diamond, and there's lots more with heavy 4-prongs in that classic "triangle" design, and more in a 6-prong setting. Less metal obscuring diamond = larger-looking diamond IMO.

GMUAlum08

Shiny_Rock

in my opinion any perceived size difference in a higher setting is not worth the added risk of damaging the setting or losing the stone

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

Haven - Thank you for sharing your perspective (and I like your beach ball example! :bigsmile: ). I definitely don't like the look of the high-set prongs from the side and you're right, this is the view I mostly see. I'm definitely more concerned about the safety of the diamond than the size, however, I'm not really all that excited about the fact that it could look smaller :rolleyes: Well, I am a PSer, what can I say!? :lol: I'm definitely leaning towards going through with it though and I just sent Denise an email with some additional questions.

milton - I agree with you about lots of metal making the stone look smaller but it seems that the 6-prong Tiffany-style head from BGD is not bulky at all so I'm wondering if it would look ok for my stone. The classic Tiffany setting is my favorite of all time. And I definitely still believe that some 4-prong settings can make a round stone look square - I've had people compliment my "princess" diamond on more than one occasion.

GMUAlum08 - I absolutely agree! Just thought I would get some thoughts on the possible switch... I'm really just trying to decide whether to A) leave it as is, B) have BGD switch it to their Tiffany 6-prong head, or C) find a lower-set 4-prong head that I like.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

stargurl78|1343758846|3243737 said:
And I definitely still believe that some 4-prong settings can make a round stone look square - I've had people compliment my "princess" diamond on more than one occasion.

For sure. My first e-ring looked like a cushion cut in the setting, even though it was a round.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well done prongs on a solitaire setting should not have any affect whatsoever on the appearance of the diamond because they will be small and unobtrusive. 4 or 6 won't matter. But the current setting is just too high and we do try to warn people about that here. I'd go to more of a medium height setting regardless of whether you do 4 or 6 prongs.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1343766806|3243810 said:
Well done prongs on a solitaire setting should not have any affect whatsoever on the appearance of the diamond because they will be small and unobtrusive. 4 or 6 won't matter.

Well, multiple people would not agree with this. 4 prongs on a smaller diamond *can* absolutely square the stone off and give it the illusion of being a cushion or a princess cut.

In any case, Stargurl please keep us updated with what you decide! Lowering it will help with a lot of things, and it will not get knocked as much. I think you will enjoy wearing it more. It's a beautiful ring by the way! :))

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006 said:
Well done prongs on a solitaire setting should not have any affect whatsoever on the appearance of the diamond because they will be small and unobtrusive. 4 or 6 won't matter. But the current setting is just too high and we do try to warn people about that here. I'd go to more of a medium height setting regardless of whether you do 4 or 6 prongs.

Thanks DS. Do you think the Tiffany-style head from BGD would be a good option?

Laila - Thank you! I'll definitely post pics if I decide to go through with the change.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

One other question - BGD said that they could send me a FedEx label (I can't remember if it was 2-day or overnight) and I could send it that way or I could do registered mail. Which option do you think is safer? I'm nervous about how long registered mail takes but if that's the safer option, then I'll definitely go that route.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

I sent my stones to them via their FEDEX label - they cover the insurance so I'd recommend that route.

Was Denise able to send you pics of the other options?

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

Enerchi|1343832893|3244272 said:
I sent my stones to them via their FEDEX label - they cover the insurance so I'd recommend that route.

Was Denise able to send you pics of the other options?

That's what I was thinking. I just don't feel that sending USPS is all that safe anymore, I've had a few issues with them. I know registered mail is their safest option, but I think I still feel more comfortable with FedEx.

I emailed Denise yesterday requesting pics so hopefully I'll hear from her today!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Woo Hoo!!! That will help your decision a lot - to be able to see examples is such a relief! She's so wonderful and helpful. If they have the pics, she'll send them for you!

Yeah, I'd stick with the FEDEX route - good call!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

Well Denise said that they don't list the specs when they save the photos of their finished rings so she wasn't able to provide pictures. But I did find a thread of someone's gorgeous BGD Tiffany-style ring with the same sized stone as mine and it looks great with their 6-prong head! :love:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged-with-a-bgd-tapered-tiffany.163342/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engaged-with-a-bgd-tapered-tiffany.163342/[/URL]

Her finger size is slightly larger than mine and I still think that the diamond looks great on her finger. So I emailed Denise to request a label to get this sent in next week! I'm nervous!!!! :twirl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results