shape
carat
color
clarity

Stone Advice (60/60, specs look out of range, but HCA = 1.4)

a1b2c3

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I don't know anything about choosing a stone, but I've been trying to learn as much as I can.

Please see the below information and let me know if you think this would be a good purchase. The stone will be set in a bezel setting in yellow gold, if that makes a difference.

The table %, depth %, crown angle, and pavilion angle look outside of the recommended ranges, but the HCA score on this stone is 1.4 and it is triple excellent according to GIA. Is it possible that the rounding of the numbers is causing a higher than actual HCA score?

Shape: Round Brilliant
Dimensions: 6.29 x 6.31 x 3.79 mm
Size: .92 carat
Color: I
Clarity: VVS2
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: None
Clarity Characteristics: Needle, Internal Graining

Table %: 60%
Depth %" 60.1%
Crown angle: 33.0
Pavilion angle: 41.0
Girdle: medium - slightly thick (faceted) 3.5%

I've been searching for a while and initially was after a .75ct but decided that something closer to 1ct will be more appropriate. I would like a pretty clean diamond, and figured that I color would be fine in yellow gold. E-buying without an image, so VVS2 seemed safe.

I was following guidelines to try to be within depth % of 60.6-62.2, table % of 53-57, crown angle of 34-35 and pavilion angle of 40.6-41, but came across this diamond with a HCA score of 1.4, and thought it might be a good value due to it's size/ct ratio. It is about $4,300.

Thanks for reading my long post and I really appreciate any advice anyone can give. There are so many aspects of stone shopping and I find them very fascinating!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Stone Advice (60/60, specs look out of range, but HCA =

I have two 60/60 stones and love them. Ask for an idealscope image and if the light return is up to par, I see no reason not to proceed.

If you are someone who absolutely MUST have lots of colorful flashes, you may not like a 60/60 stone. I honestly didn't care and loved the discount :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, we'd need a magnified image of the stone and an idealscope image, if possible. Never buy a diamond blind. The HCA is just a screening tool.

a1b2c3

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the advice guys. I contacted the seller (BN) to see if they had images, but unfortunately they said they did not and would not request one because they said round brilliant diamonds of this size and clarity all look the same under 10x. Anyway, I decided not to risk it and began looking for other stones with images available.

I found the following diamond, and to my untrained eye it looks decent, but I'd like some feedback from the experts here! Below are the characteristics and the images. Let me know if I should have made a new thread for this, I'll be happy to do so. Thanks!

.92ct I VS1

6.28 - 6.32 x 3.81 mm

Depth - 60.4%
Table - 58%
Crown - 33.5 deg
Pavilion - 40.8 deg
Girdle - medium, faceted, 3.5%
Flourescence - none

Cut - Excellent
Polish - Excellent
Symmetry - Excellent
Clarity Characteristics - Crystal, Needle, Cloud

HCA - 1.0
Light Return - Excellent
Fire - Excellent
Scintillation - Excellent
Spread - Very Good

Should I feel okay with this one and proceed, or can I do better?

_610.png

_611.png

a1b2c3

Rough_Rock

Any opinions, even one word answers, would be greatly appreciated! I'm hoping to purchase soon!

emmebee

Shiny_Rock

Looks nice to me! Hard to compare it to everything else out there without knowing price.. now that you are able to obtain pictures of the stone, you can drop clarity (after verifying eye-clean) to stretch the budget a bit if you want.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results