shape
carat
color
clarity

Still Ideal/excellent cut?

Bigmikey

Rough_Rock
Would you still even consider this cut in the ideal/excellent range even though it has an HCA score of 0.8?

Table 55%
Depth 60.8%
Crown Angle 32.0
Pav Angle 41.0
Medium (faceted) 3.5%
LGF 80%
cutlet none

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
HCA is pass/fail. Any score 2 and under is as good as any. It's simply a predictor or performance. And is a rejection tool.

That diamond is a pancake with a flat top though.

You want a crown angle of 34 and over. And a pavilion of 41 and under.

You also want a depth no greater than 62.4.

And you need an idealscope image. Because that's the selection tool.

KobiD

Shiny_Rock
It might still be a nice diamond, but you'd need to do more investigation to confirm that. It falls into the BIC range, so it will be more brilliant (return white light), than balanced/firey. You may/may not like this.

Proportion wise it falls outside of AGS Ideal grading slightly, but would still be deemed ideal.

Next step is an IS, to see how it performs, or follow the crowd and find something closer to TIC proportions.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Gypsy. A 32 crown angle makes a diamond have an unattractive profile because it is so low. I've seen a lot of diamonds, and I'd err on the side of a higher than normal crown angle before I'd go with a 32. Let's just say that the excellent range is very wide, and why not get one of the best ones as long as you are paying for excellent cut?

KobiD

Shiny_Rock
Correction to my previous post re the AGS grading. They would categorize the dimensions as excellent.

As others have said, there are safer grounds to work with if you're looking for a nice balanced diamond.. it doesn't neccessarily mean you won't like the one above, but it may be an aquired taste.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results