shape
carat
color
clarity

Step cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VuittonGal

Shiny_Rock
Is a princess cut considered a step-cut diamond? What are the step cut diamonds?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Emerald cuts are step cut diamonds. I think asschers are too.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Yes Kaleigh...Asschers are step-cut too!

Princess cuts are not step-cuts....

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everybody!

Step cut refers to the style of cutting where most of the facet lines are parallel- not a lot of "intersecting" facets.
An Asscher cut is indeed a step cut stone- as is an emerald cut.
GIA refers to Asscher cuts as "Square Emerald Cut"- even some rectangular emerald cuts have a very "Asscher" type look to them.
The Royal Branded Stones are likely going to be classified as "Octagonal Step Cut" by GIA.

There are step cut trapezoids too.
The "opposite" of step cut, is brilliant faceted.

A Radiant Cut is actually a combination of the brilliant faceting placed onto an emerald cut's shape.
Therefore GIA refers to a Radiant as either
"Cut Cornered Square Modified Brilliant" or " Cut Cornered Rectangular Modified Brilliant"

A princess cut is similar- but instead of cut corners, a princess cut has 90 degree corners.
It's not really accurate to say the only difference between radiant and Princess is the corners however- this is because the "cut corners" allow the cutter a lot of freedom to place different facet patterns onthe bottom of a radiant.
GIA refers to an Princess Cut as either "Square Modified Brilliant" or Rectangualr Modified Brilliant"

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey vuittongal,

here''s a good link about diamond cuts.
select "cut" and click on option "5" for info on step, mixed and brilliant cuts
2.gif

Jodi

Rough_Rock
The only two cuts that you''re going to likely see that are "stepped" are emeralds and asschers - you can tell just by looking down into them and seeing the "steps." They are cleaner looking with long cuts. You can see the inperfections easier. The light comes off in big bars. The step-cuts draw your eye inward. That''s why people tell you to get a higher clarity and color on the steps. You''re going to analyze something that draws you into it.

Just about everything else you see is a varient on the round brilliant, faceted at all these angels that throw the light away off the stone. They refract the light here and there and everywhere, and as a result, usually look a lot more sparkely. Because of all those angeled facets, they can hide imperfections more easily than a step cut. You just don''t analyze something as much that throws light in so many directions.

That''s what I learned in shopping around. Glad to pass on what I''ve been told. I''m no expert and I am high on caffeine right now, so I''m typing on this site up a storm....but, I promise you, this is what they all say!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
I believe that Lucidas, Luceres and some other branded stones like the 88 octagonal cuts are also step cut on the crown but mixed with brilliant cuts on the bottom.

As David said, anything with parallel facets that do not intersect on both crown and pavillion, I believe...

So anything else with triangular "kite-shaped" facets, is the actual defiinition of a brilliant cut.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results