shape
carat
color
clarity

Started Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

epbb

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I''m new to this forum, and the whole diamond scene in general. I have recently decided to propose to my girlfriend of almost 5 years, and have started the process of looking for a ring. I have a pretty basic understanding of the 4 Cs, and went to a jeweler yesterday that gave me some additional education (like detecting inclusions, etc.), however, I still have many questions. I did some searches on my questions, but there''s so much info out there, I decided to start this thread to get some of them answered.

I have a bunch of questions, but I guess I''ll just start out with one or two...

I have been looking at various online diamond stores, and am trying to understand the whole certification thing. Why are there so many different types of certifications? Is one preferred over the other?

Also, one of my other worries is insurance. Once you purchase an engagement ring, are you required to get insurance? I don''t have enough cash to buy it flat out, so I''ll have to take out a loan or something (do most jewelers offer financing on rings?... not sure if that''s a stupid question).

Sorry for this long post, but I''m pretty clueless here, and I want to make sure I don''t make any huge mistakes. Any and all information is truly appriciated. Thanks so much in advance!!!!
9.gif

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Every certification has different parameters they use to reach their grading. Example: EGL color grading could be different from AGS color grading on the same stone, same with what will qualify a stone to have excellent or fair symmetry, or VS1 or SI2. Its all objective no matter who is doing the grading.

I believe most people prefer AGS and GIA, with AGS being the most strict. But if a stone has another type of certificate you can always get it independantly graded, a lot of times before you buy.

Someone please correct me if im wrong! Hope this helps.

epbb

Rough_Rock
Njc, Ame,

Thanks so much for your replies!! I really appreciate the advice.

As for insurance, what are the requirements for that? I don't own a home (so obviously don't have home owners insurance), and my girlfriend doesn't have one either.. in fact, she's still in school. I'm not sure if I'll be paying out the nose because of these factors. Any advice on this?

And, as for the vendors you mentioned, I have seen many good things regarding Good Old Gold, and I will have to look into the others. When you say they are "here", what do you mean? I'm still trying to figure out all the navigational aspects of this forum...

Thanks again, and please keep the suggestions coming!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
By "here" I mean they are Vendors that frequent these boards and that many of the members have used.

Insurance for your ring can be independent of your home. My policy is through Chubb. Its strictly for my jewelery and covers the appraised replacement value of my ring. Their policy is pretty good but might vary based on where youare. I prefer this company to Jewelers Mutual because Chubb will just cash you out, you replace it however you want and then reinsure your new ring (if you even get one).

Your living and education and career arrangements aren't an issue for what you pay. If you pay it all up front (90ish if you insure 5500) you don't get any little monthly fees.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 9/14/2004 12:50:56 PM epbb wrote:

When you say they are 'here', what do you mean?

I think Ame means we're here for your assistance if you would like it. Best way to get us is through email or phone. Pleasure to make your acquaintance epbb and welcome to the forum.

epbb

Rough_Rock
Rhino,

Good to electronically meet you...
9.gif

I'm actually on the GOG website going through the diamond tutorial right now, so I hope to get a bit more information on your store so that I can come and see you. I went to another local jeweler here yesterday, and he gave me a pretty good education, but I just want to make sure I understand as much as I can. Thanks for the reply.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rhino is awesome. You will be in good hands with him
1.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 9/14/2004 1:40:25 PM epbb wrote:

Rhino,

Good to electronically meet you...
9.gif

I'm actually on the GOG website going through the diamond tutorial right now, so I hope to get a bit more information on your store so that I can come and see you. I went to another local jeweler here yesterday, and he gave me a pretty good education, but I just want to make sure I understand as much as I can. Thanks for the reply.
----------------

Pleasure is mine ep. It'd be excellent if you could make it out here to visit as we can not only show you the differences between various H&A's but you'd also be able to compare some of the new cuts we are about to introduce which are truly optical wonders. We take our clients through what I consider to be a critical analysis as well as a practical analysis. Ie. we use the critical analysis when making our purchasing decisions but we also show our clients how our optical testing applies to real world observance in the most common light conditions that your future fiance will be viewing the diamond under. If you have any questions about the information on our tutorial don't hesitate to contact me and ask.

Kind regards,

epbb

Rough_Rock
Rhino,

Thanks for the information. Right now I'm starting to wonder about time.... and also financing. I only have about a month to decide and purchase the ring, and one week out of that month I have to go to Asia on business.. I'm hoping this is enough time, and from the posts I have been reading up on, people have stated multiple times that you have met some tight deadlines... Not sure how tight mine would be considered.

As for the financing aspect of it, I don't know what a typical budget is for an engagement ring. How much and what method do people typically pay for it with? I am worried that I won't be getting as much as I would like to get for her (and as she deserves). I'm still reading up on the tutorial, so I should have a better idea by later tonight as to what kind of diamond I am looking for.

I met with a Jeweler yesterday, and he was very helpful. He showed me different sizes, and also gave me his loup, and showed me how to see some inclusions (i.e., a VS1 compared to a SI1). He also showed me his copy of the current Rapaport pricing guide, as he uses that when buying stones from Africa... That made me very comfortable. Your store is about an hour and a half away from me, so I'll have to see when I can make it to you. I'll try to come up with some more questions first though before I make the trip.

Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results