shape
carat
color
clarity

Square Emerald=asscher?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AMALEEKEL

Rough_Rock
Hi Pricescopers....

Is a "square emerald" the same as asscher?

I saw one on another thread & it''s bee-you-ti-ful.

I''m trying to stay away from Princess cut because everyone I know has one...in person how similar do princesses and square emeralds look?

Thanks

Oh, Price-wise--is it a more expensive cut?
1.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
depends there is the classic asscher which gia calls clones of a "square emerald" then there is the royal asscher which has a slightly different cut and is patented and is only available from Asscher.

The royal asscher looks different with more steps.

Royal asscher - more expensive
asscher/"square emerald" - simular prices

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strm is right: there square step cuts come with lots of different personalities.

I like the colorful page about this at Diamondsbylauren: Link to Asscher page

The Royal Asscher brand is a classic-looking beast, not a hugely different look, but not quite achievable with the usual square cut either. Depends on how much of a purist you are
2.gif

MVC-915S.jpg

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Everyone,
On a GIA report, a Royal Asscher would either be called "Square Emerald Cut" or more commonly "Octagonal Step Cut"
GIA does not identify stones with brand names.
One way around this is to laser inscribe the brand name on the girdle which would cause GIA to notate that in the comment section.

As far as how similar a non branded stone is to the branded version, let''s take a look at what branding is.
Branding is a way to protect a name- NOT a diamond.
What this means is this- if you have a piece of rough diamond and want to cut it to the exact style of a Royal Asscher there is nothng stopping you. IF you wanted to advertise it as a Royal Asscher you''d get your Assch sued off ( hehe)
SO- there is only one thing stopping an enterprising cutter from making a stone which is identical to the branded stone- money.
You see, the large corners associated with the branded stone means that there is a lot of waste when you cut them. Whatever you polish off the diamond is not recoverable.
That''s one of the reasons for the price of Royal Asshcer stones.

By the way- this holds true with all other diamond brands too.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
The royal Asscher cut is patented and until that expires anyone cutting a copy could get sued.
They could likely beat it bacause they could find prior art in the 10s of thousands of cutting diagrams that gemstone cutters have published over the years.
But the question is who is willing to spend the $100000 it would take to do it?

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Correct strmrdr.
On both counts- the cut is "protected" yet de-facto, it would be nealry impossible to protect the patent if the actual cut of the diamond was the basis of the suit.
This means that the only way for someone to get penalized for cutting a stone identical to a branded one was if they claimed (Advertised) it was a branded stone.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Glad to see you here Dave. I wonder if you could do me a little favor. My assistant Tim recently signed onto the DT forum and wrote under the name of icemyster. You had a few conversations with him. Not once did he break a forum rule nor was he rude or disorderly with anyone on the forum. Recently he was kicked off the DT forum with no explanation, no reason or anything. Could you kindly inquire as to *why* he was kicked off? We are all curious. Thanks in advance.

orange_horse

Rough_Rock
As someone with the "luck" of having a fiance that wants an asscher cut, I thought that I''d put in my two cents worth.

a) Depending on the size you are searching for, you are unlikely to find much of a selection of branded royal asschers. You can''t just walk into a jewelry store and ask to see an asscher cut...much less a branded royal asscher. In fact, I determined early on that a lot of retailers had little or no knowledge about these diamonds when put on the spot. (Thank goodness for the people on pricescope) There is a shortage of branded RA''s in the United States...a fact that I have personally confirmed with Fabrikant and through direct e-mail discussions with members of the Asscher family. If you can find one, expect to pay a premium over a generic.

b) Keep in mind that the asschers carry a lot of their weight on the underside of the stone. If all your friends have 2 carat princess cuts, and you get a 2 carat asscher, your stone will seem smaller to the untrained eye.

I''m still looking for a good one. It''s been a long road from emeralds, to branded RA''s, and finally to generics.

Good luck.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/24/2004 12:44:24 AM
Author: orange_horse
As someone with the ''luck'' of having a fiance that wants an asscher cut, I thought that I''d put in my two cents worth.

a) Depending on the size you are searching for, you are unlikely to find much of a selection of branded royal asschers. You can''t just walk into a jewelry store and ask to see an asscher cut...much less a branded royal asscher. In fact, I determined early on that a lot of retailers had little or no knowledge about these diamonds when put on the spot. (Thank goodness for the people on pricescope) There is a shortage of branded RA''s in the United States...a fact that I have personally confirmed with Fabrikant and through direct e-mail discussions with members of the Asscher family. If you can find one, expect to pay a premium over a generic.

b) Keep in mind that the asschers carry a lot of their weight on the underside of the stone. If all your friends have 2 carat princess cuts, and you get a 2 carat asscher, your stone will seem smaller to the untrained eye.

I''m still looking for a good one. It''s been a long road from emeralds, to branded RA''s, and finally to generics.

Good luck.
I''d take issue with comment b. Orange_horse. Many princess cuts are cut with depths in the 70%-80% range and it is easier to find an Asscher with a depth in the mid 60''s than it is a princess. Knowing your total depth % will give you an idea of the spread factor and I would think that Asschers with depths in the mid 60''s will have as big if not a bigger size appearance than a princess cut with a depth in the 70''s-80''s range.

Regards,

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Orange Horse- I''m going to split hairs with Rhino a little bit here.
Yes, it''s true that you may find Asschers ( non branded or branded) with depths in the 60''s, this is the exception, not the rule.
If two diamonds have identical L X W, and depth, I feel that a princess will look larger than an Asscher type stone. This is due to to the Asscher''s cut corners ( the princess fills out the square), as well as the difference in faceting. The princess has more sparkle, the Asscher has more glitter.
Therefore, I feel it is fair to say that Asscher type stones generally do not look large for their carat weight.

Rhino- As far as your question- I am only a sponser, and poster on DT. I have absolutely no control over who gets to be a member.
I hate to admit this , but I do not remember the conversation you refer to.

Altough our we may have different opinions about cut and other issues- I have a lot of respect for Good Old Gold- The website has tons of information and a great selection of diamonds.

Merry Christmas to everyone celebrating!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results