shape
carat
color
clarity

Square Cut Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

OnABudget

Rough_Rock
Hi,
In my hunt for a good deal on a 3/4 ct. Princess cut diamond, I spoke to a jeweler who tried to convince me to buy square radiant instead because princess can chip. Is there much truth to this? Additionally, he told me that a .5 square radiant looks like it is the same size as a .75 princess. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for any help.

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
The corners on a princess cut could be prone to chipping if the girdle is x-thin. It would also depend on the setting.

There are a lot of princess cut diamonds on the market that have depth% in the high 70's or 80's which would make them look small for their carat weight.

Here are some examples of radiants and princess cuts in your size range. It's just a quick look to give you a size comparison.

.53 F VS2 Radiant

.76 F VS2 Princess

.70 F VS2 Princess

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
A jeweler tried the same line on me - turns out he didn't sell princess cuts (so he tried to direct me towards the cuts he did have).
tongue.gif

There should not be a problem with chipping if you have a medium or thicker girdle (thin would be ok but not in the corners where the prongs are) & the jeweler has a benchman that knows how to properly set a princess.
Re: the second portion of your question, it depends on the depth of each stone. Princesses do tend to be cut deeper but if you look around, you should be able to find one w a depth under 70.
9.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Also, keep in mind that princess and radiants LOOK very different...do you want a princess cut? Then go for it...Like Alexah and Ep mention, try to find a princess with a good depth and you'll be on your way to a great stone!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
NNNICCCEEEE stones EP!!!! That square radiant is a find and the princess stones have a lot of potential!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Those stones really are beautiful! I prefer princess stones with a depth in the low 70's, table in the high 60's to low 70's (with a table 3-5% smaller), but other people prefer stones with the lowest depth possible because they face up bigger. However, in my search for the perfect princess I discovered that there seems to be the best light return when the stone has a depth in the low 70's. Just compare the two princess cut stones that Ep6585 posted--the .7 ct's ideal scope image looks better (at least to me).

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and what everyone here said is correct--choose between a radiant and princess based on the LOOK you like best, not whether one will supposedly look bigger than another or is more fragile. If you can find an amazing princess that does not have an ETN or ETK girdle (if too thin they can chip, too thick the stone will look small for its size), you do not have anything to worry about!

OnABudget

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all your help so far, these are great tips/suggestions. Is there a ratio of depth and table to look for? Or are they independent measurements to consider? Also, is there a color grade that is generally considered to low? I have heard that H and I generally are good enough, as long as you don't put it side by side with a D,E,F.

Thanks

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Ideally, you want to find a diamond with a table 3-5% smaller than the depth with both numbers in the high 60's to low 70's. But, don't rule out stones with a table that's up to equal the depth, as it can still have potential. As for the color of the stone, I went with an "I" and it's beautiful--I have yet to find anyone who can guess the right color of my stone (most think it's colorless). If you find a stone with a GREAT cut that faces up REALLY white, going for a stone in an H/I is a great way to save money! However, before dropping in color, drop your clarity--a 100% eye clean SI stone will look just as good as a flawless stone (except under magnification).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results