shape
carat
color
clarity

sometime you gotta wonder...

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Huh?

Wow! That is an expensive Fedex shipping, I was expecting may Brinks safe truck or something.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
since they don't have a reserve, they are trying to recoup the difference in shipping, because of this sellers don't pay a % sale on shipping cost to ebay.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
D&T said:
since they don't have a reserve, they are trying to recoup the difference in shipping, because of this sellers don't pay a % sale on shipping cost to ebay.

Guess doing it that way is better than putting a reserve. Ebay probably would stamp down hard on this as they are being cheated out of their revenue. :razz:

TakingthePlunge

Rough_Rock
i wouldnt call it sleazy. I would certainly question his claim that it faces like a 1.3 carat though.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stone-cold11 said:
D&T said:

Guess doing it that way is better than putting a reserve. Ebay probably would stamp down hard on this as they are being cheated out of their revenue. :razz:
it kinda sucks, for the buyer if you think about it, they could say in their sales tactic, "Fully refundable" Less Shipping :o

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I dont question the seller's motives, but i question the buyer's competence.

You can find a diamond w/ similar specs for about $2400, and the setting is about $1500 on bluenile.com. This person can use a computer, so you would figure they know how to google, right? If i can buy a brand new one online for that price, why the heck would i pay the same for one from ebay?!?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll take it for $10.50 but I'll drive by and pick it up. :bigsmile:

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Love Street said:
That would probably be considered "excessive shipping" in violation of EBay's policies http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-practices.html#shipping.It's sleazy and deserves to be reported IMO. Thanks to your post, ForteKitty, it probably will - saving some poor soul a headache dealing with it after the fact!
HI Love Street,

I"m not all that up on ebay selling and I agree that this is clearly an attempt to reduce the fees going to ebay but I don't see where it's against their rules to charge a ridiculous amount for shipping. "Handling" seems to be a completely unlimited category as long as the seller states it up front. No?

Love Street

Shiny_Rock
denverappraiser said:
Love Street said:
That would probably be considered "excessive shipping" in violation of EBay's policies http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-practices.html#shipping.It's sleazy and deserves to be reported IMO. Thanks to your post, ForteKitty, it probably will - saving some poor soul a headache dealing with it after the fact!
HI Love Street,

I"m not all that up on ebay selling and I agree that this is clearly an attempt to reduce the fees going to ebay but I don't see where it's against their rules to charge a ridiculous amount for shipping. "Handling" seems to be a completely unlimited category as long as the seller states it up front. No?

Hi Denver Appraiser,

I would argue that a $3,500+ "handling" fee is unreasonable and thus violates eBay's rules, which state "It's against our rules to...charge unreasonable fees for shipping and related services." When you look at the examples of "handling" charges articulated by ebay ("Handling cost...can include the cost of packaging materials and insurance cost, if any"), it takes into account additional costs beyond the mailing cost, including packaging and perhaps lost time, gas to get to the post office, etc - in other words, *reasonable* costs not included in the actual cost to ship the package. In light of the examples ebay provides, notwithstanding that the list is not exhaustive, tacking on thousands of dollars in "handling" seems an easy argument for *unreasonable* and thus violative of the polices, IMO.
It's just darn sneaky and misleading too!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I looked up the excessive shipping rules. there's no limit for jewelry. or else i would have reported it!

As for deceptive, when you bid, they verify your bidding amount on the next page, and the shipping amount is right there along with it. If you dont see it, then it's not exactly anyone else's fault.

the seller also put it in big bolded print too! I say if the buyer wasn't smart enough to catch all of it, then...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results