carat
color
clarity

Someone needs to buy this...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool.
While deep, for a round FCD the cut isn't that far off from proportions for ideal.
The girdle is near where it should be in the side view.

Perhaps send it in for a recut to get top light performance.
(Not a good move value-wise as obviously it would drop under a carat and the color grade may be affected too.)

But a 0.8 ct round fireball with a blush of green would be very cool indeed.

AND medium green fluorescence, to boot! :love:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, yum. Would that I had the cash lying around ... picture that lovely in a nice emerald halo? :love:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1413053972|3765864 said:
Oh, yum. Would that I had the cash lying around ... picture that lovely in a nice emerald halo? :love:

Lots of color is visible in the side view.
I'd never cover up that view so I'd put it into a tension setting. ;-)
... especially if I recut it, which reduces the visibility of body color in the top view.

I'm surprised this didn't get a Bluish Green grade.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1413053946|3765863 said:
Very cool.
While deep, for a round FCD the cut isn't that far off from proportions for ideal.

(Not a good move value-wise as obviously it would drop under a carat and the color grade may be affected too.)

I can hear it chanting "Kenny, Kenny..."

I know you like your stones smaller and more saturated though.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1413053972|3765864 said:

I thought halo too because the contrast would be so pretty. But then I was thinking maybe a 3 stone because you get the
contrast from the side stones but you would also be able to see the sides of the green diamond(which actually looks like light
blue to me) with the right setting.

Hum...though decision (actually not a decision, because I can only dream).

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Very cool.

Really interesting. I'm not a fancy color diamond expert by any means, but I personally have never seen that combination. Green is super rare in terms of body color. Green fluoro is very rare too. This one is green on green. It would sell in a heartbeat around St Patrick's Day. 8-)

Kind of makes you wonder if the fluoro influenced the color call. There is concern in the trade that blue fluoro can result in overgrading of color at the lab. The presence of blue cancels a bit of yellow making a stone appear a bit whiter to the grader. (UV light is a component of the grading environment which can activate the blue). Interesting to ponder.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool.

My concern about a recut would be three fold. Of course getting under the 1 ct mark would drastically reduce price. Also, the cut being leas than ideal, as you mentioned, most likely helps the color. But my main concern would be origin. Isn't it difficult to place a green as being natural or treated? My question to you, would they based there new gia report off their old one that found it natural, or would a new one put "unknown" if they were unable to determine origin even if they had been able to preciously? Would it change if the gia number was removed when cutting vs left on there?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting factoid about natural green diamonds. They get their color from exposure to sources of radiation in the Earth. So, not only does a diamond have to form in just the right conditions at 25 miles below the Earth's crust, and be brought to the surface by random volcanic events, and survive the intense violence of that transport intact. It then needs to come in contact with some natural source of radiation strong enought to effect the color. No wonder it is so rare!

Zimbabwe is a leading source of green tinted diamonds, and unfortunately, political events there has made the trade in Zim diamonds somewhat controversial. But just because a diamond is green does not mean it is a Zim.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Niel|1413056903|3765875 said:
Very cool.

My concern about a recut would be three fold. Of course getting under the 1 ct mark would drastically reduce price. Also, the cut being leas than ideal, as you mentioned, most likely helps the color. But my main concern would be origin. Isn't it difficult to place a green as being natural or treated? My question to you, would they based there new gia report off their old one that found it natural, or would a new one put "unknown" if they were unable to determine origin even if they had been able to preciously? Would it change if the gia number was removed when cutting vs left on there?
These are interesting questions. My guess is that GIA would express confidence that they could determine natural vs treated both now and in 2009 when this report was done. That is, the new report would be the same in that respect even if they looked at it as an entirely new stone.

Having said that, there would be no good reason to go to that much trouble/expense/uncertainty for this stone as it is not technically a fancy color.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool.

Yes, I already mentioned the hit on value from loss of weight and also possibly falling to only Faint (the weakest of GIA's 9 color grades) since the light will be traveling through less material.

This has a natural on the girdle.
Since depth is 64% and the girdle is already in about the right region in the side view for ideal proportions the cutting instruction could be to leave the girdle (and therefore the precious indented naturals) alone.

GIA understands the concern for polishing away the indented naturals, which hold proof the green origin is natural, and not a lab.
This is why some cutters submit some greens to GIA multiple times during the polishing process.
(This must explain why I have seen some natural greens with no indented naturals on their GIA reports.)
GIA can verify it is the same stone and maintain the natural provenance of the color origin as the cutter removes evidence.

You could thus coordinate the recut with GIA.
This stone being an SI2 with several inclusions (aka fingerprints) should make it easy for GIA to be confident it's the same stone as it is resubmitted.

Obviously, no recut project is without risks and if anyone takes my suggestion I disavow any responsibility.
They must do their own homework and consult pros and accept the risk.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Texas Leaguer|1413057732|3765881 said:
... this stone as it is not technically a fancy color.

Why do you say that?
GIA did not grade it as a D-Z diamond with a comment mentioning color.
I've read here on PS that there are only three 'hues' that can be found in diamonds GIA grades on their D=Z scale, brown, yellow and gray which can result in such a comment.

It has a Colored Diamond Grading Report from GIA.
Doesn't that make it a fancy colored diamond? :confused:

screen_shot_2014-10-11_at_1.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1413057939|3765882 said:
Very cool.

Yes, I already mentioned the hit on value from loss of weight and also possibly falling to only Faint (the weakest of GIA's 9 color grades) since the light will be traveling through less material.

This has a natural on the girdle.
Since depth is 64% and the girdle is already in about the right region in the side view for ideal proportions the cutting instruction could be to leave the girdle (and therefore the precious indented naturals) alone.

GIA understands the concern for polishing away the indented naturals, which hold proof the green origin is natural, and not a lab.
This is why some cutters submit some greens to GIA multiple times during the polishing process.
(This must explain why I have seen some natural greens with no indented naturals on their GIA reports.)
GIA can verify it is the same stone and maintain the natural provenance of the color origin as the cutter removes evidence.

You could thus coordinate the recut with GIA.
This stone being an SI2 with several inclusions (aka fingerprints) should make it easy for GIA to be confident it's the same stone as it is resubmitted.

Obviously, no recut project is without risks and if anyone takes my suggestion I disavow any responsibility.
They must do their own homework and consult pros and accept the risk.
I know you mentioned the first two concern. I was just echoing those. I just wanted to shed some light on the origin concern. Which you did so thank you.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll add ... suggesting an FCD also be ideal-cut is going to annoy FCD vendors.

In the FCD marketplace color is king, not cut.
This is understandable considering how rare and valuable the rough is and how much money can be 'printed' by clever cutting that is rewarded by a higher GIA color grade.

BUT, I want everything and have tasted good cut. :cheeky:

I say, think for yourself.
If you want to find the needle in the haystack FCD with both good color and light performance, go for it.
It may take decades, but so be it.

Understandably FCD vendors will discourage this.
They want to sell their inventory and it is true that light performance goes to the back of the bus during FCD cutting.
Weight retention and amping up the color go to the front of the bus.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
So pretty and unique! I'd set it in platinum and do a delicate halo to maximize the color contrast.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1413060152|3765890 said:
So pretty and unique! I'd set it in platinum and do a delicate halo to maximize the color contrast.

I wonder if plat would bring the color out most. Green gold, rose? I just dont know! Interesting to think about lol

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1413058081|3765883 said:

Why do you say that?
I've read here on PS that there are only three 'hues' that can be found in diamonds GIA grades on their D=Z scale, brown, yellow and gray which can result in such a comment.

Kenny, you're right. I suppose it is incorrect to say the stone is not a fancy color. With hues other than yellow and brown in the normal range D-Z you might say they are technically fancy colors because there is some added value or interest for the rarity aspect, and because GIA treats them differently. But without the "fancy" descriptor in the color call, a Very Light corresponds to the letter scale as between N and R in terms of color strength. I normally think of fancy colors as those beyond Z.

My overall point is that the color is not strong enough to put the stone in a value class that would justify taking the risks that have been discussed to try to improve it. Make sense?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Texas Leaguer|1413067573|3765913 said:

Why do you say that?

Kenny, you're right. I suppose it is incorrect to say the stone is not a fancy color. With hues other than yellow and brown in the normal range D-Z you might say they are technically fancy colors because there is some added value or interest for the rarity aspect, and because GIA treats them differently. But without the "fancy" descriptor in the color call, a Very Light corresponds to the letter scale as between N and R in terms of color strength. I normally think of fancy colors as those beyond Z.

My overall point is that the color is not strong enough to put the stone in a value class that would justify taking the risks that have been discussed to try to improve it. Make sense?

Yes I understand and agree money would be lost.
Recutting would be stupid, value-wise.

Still, people vary and there may be a person out there who doesn't care about the value loss, but is obsessed with good cut and rare colors like green.
They would love an ideal-cut 0.8 ct round fireball that also has a rare and a lovely clean blue-green blush and medium green fluorescence.
What are the odds a 0.8 ct ideal-cut round diamond with blue-green blush is going to just float down the river of life, ever?
If I had a disposable 10K right now I would be that person.

Fancy colors in diamonds can make some of us a bit irrational and even looney. :shifty:

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1413068332|3765915 said:
Texas Leaguer|1413067573|3765913 said:

Why do you say that?

Yes I understand and agree money would be lost.
Recutting would be stupid, value-wise.

Still, people vary and there may be a person out there who doesn't care about the value loss, but is obsessed with good cut and rare colors like green.
They would love an ideal-cut 0.8 ct round fireball that also has a rare and a lovely clean blue-green blush and medium green fluorescence.
What are the odds a 0.8 ct ideal-cut round diamond with blue-green blush is going to just float down the river of life, ever?
If I had a disposable 10K right now I would be that person.

Fancy colors in diamonds can make some of us a bit irrational and even looney. :shifty:
Kenny, I hear you. I think it is a very cool stone too.

As I said, I am not an expert in this area. I did write an overview article for our website recently. I would appreciate you comments on it if you have time.
http://www.whiteflash.com/about-diamonds/diamond-education/fancy-color-diamonds-1451.htm

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd be honored, Bryan.
I'm no expert, just opinionated, and big-mouthed. :lol:

It may take a few days to devote the time but shall I respond on PS or in private?
If I start the thread it is legal and may result in suggestions by other members.
If I start a thread should it be here on Rocky Talk or on Pricescope's Colored Stones forum?

You may respond to me via email if you like.
I bought an ACA from WF, 0.82 E VVS1, so you must have my email address.

Ashleemarie

Rough_Rock
I thought the greens were being pulled due to the Zimbabwe blood diamond thing but it's still puuuurdy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results