shape
carat
color
clarity

Some AVC's came to visit me today!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I decided before I make permanent decisions that I needed to see some AVC's! I picked two I liked and they are L and M color. I figured I could at least see how low I could go in color. I absolutely love these stones, too! :love: They are so different from AVR's that I can't say I like one over the other, but I really love both styles of cut!

I am color sensitive with rounds, but with these large facets I can go lower in color which is an advantage if I am able to get a second diamond. I can hardly tell the difference between these two stones. And in real life, I do not see much color in them at all. Oddly, the camera does pick up the color more, but I promise I do not see them that way in reality.

But I wanted to show you a few quick shots I took of these beauties. I hope I maybe can work it out to keep one! (This first picture has the stones slightly tilted but they are perfectly symmetrically cut.)

img_0152.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More...(the last one showing color that I cannot see.) The first picture makes them look small compared to the stones in the rings, but it is because the stones in the rings are higher and closer to the camera.

img_0164.jpg

img_0161.jpg

img_105.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And the last ones...(The one on the left is a 1.79 L VVS and the one on the right is a 1.9 M VS1)

img_0175.jpg

img_0173.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool!

I like the longer one better.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1347646443|3268164 said:
Cool!

I like the longer one better.

Me, too, Kenny! I expected it to be the opposite, but I love everything about the more oval one!

OneFifty

Shiny_Rock
I'm so jealous! I have checked out the AVCs on GOG, but I love seeing your pics. I hope you had a great time playing.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I like the square one, but just wanted to thank you for posting the pictures and your comments being so helpful on the AVR and AVC's...loving them both because they are so different. The color not showing is what I have learned from other posters as well. I would love to get both cuts too...when my ship comes in! They are both beautiful! Lucky you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, it IS wonderful to FINALLY see them in person! I now understand why people fall in love with them! I will have to sell my rb to have both an AVR and AVC, but I am leaning toward doing it. I wish I had time to go to GOG, but it is worth it to pay for the shipping since I can't go at the moment.

novicediamond

Shiny_Rock
They are such fun stones arent they?! I too prefer the longer M one, have fun! whatever you decide will be a winner, I truly dont think you can go wrong with either a AVC or a AVR in ANY color! I took my M AVC into my office one day to see what it was like under that crappy flourescent office lighting ( I still havent got my e ring yet as we not *officially* engaged yet ).. I was blown away by the light performance when I took it out of the box, I did not for one second expect it to sparkle and dance so much even under that crappy light..

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DS you're gonna get yourself kicked out of the RB fanclub soon if you aren't careful - Dreamer's membership has already been revoked :cheeky:

What do you think of think of the difference in light return type? The giant chunky facets vs. RB's more splintery performance? I saw an antique cushion of about the same size as my RB and I was surprised by how strongly I preferred one type of light return over the other in-person, and I remember Dreamer's posts about the AVC she had shipped out to look it, so I'm really interested to hear how you feel in a few days!

I like the longer one too - I prefer the outline and I love the *giant* culet!!

Oh - you really don't mind the colour, and think you could be happy with it long-term? Like, really really? I have to say that that shocks me, given how sensitive you are to tint in briliant cuts!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
yummy options, DS! If it were me, I'd go for the rectangular 1.9M AVC. I love the facets on both, but I like the larger culet and the elongated shape.

How wonderful to have them both on site to fully evaluate in all YOUR conditions! Please keep taking all sorts of lighting condition photos - I'm just loving looking at them! :bigsmile:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just judging from the pictures, they look almost champagne in color to me. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you like. Maybe you could consider going up in color on the AVR and down a bit in color on the AVC just to sort of meet in the middle?

I truly would have thought I too would have preferred the square shape but maybe not - just looking at the pictures. Do you see lots of flash and fire in the AVC or is it more subtle?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too like the longer one better. And I think an AVC would look better in the Van Craeynest setting than an AVR would, because of the little wrap line right by the center diamond (that has two little diamonds set in it). BUT it will be you wearing it, not me. Either way, it'll be such a stunning ring. I'm so jealous (in a good way? you know what I mean?), and definitely living vicariously through your posts!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I definitely thing the AVC would look better in the VC...EDL's ring :love: All the AV stones are beautiful...I don't blame you at all for wanting one of each :bigsmile:

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I like the squarer one better because I like a bit of symmetry and I like a smaller culet. Bu they are both lovely! I like the pale lemony, buttery-ness of them which I know I would have a problem with in a RB, but I actually like it on the old cut. (I guess I'll find out myself on Monday just how much I like M's.)

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1347653761|3268227 said:
And I think an AVC would look better in the Van Craeynest setting than an AVR would, because of the little wrap line right by the center diamond (that has two little diamonds set in it).

+1 me too

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! I have an AVC you still make me want one. :)

I'm curious how you will feel about the AVC vs the AVR after a few days. I so want an AVR to play with my AVC...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
That rectangular one is really lovely. I love the rectangular culet. YUM!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1347653336|3268218 said:
DS you're gonna get yourself kicked out of the RB fanclub soon if you aren't careful - Dreamer's membership has already been revoked :cheeky:

What do you think of think of the difference in light return type? The giant chunky facets vs. RB's more splintery performance? vs the AVR that's almost the "middle ground" I meant to addI saw an antique cushion of about the same size as my RB and I was surprised by how strongly I preferred one type of light return over the other in-person, and I remember Dreamer's posts about the AVC she had shipped out to look it, so I'm really interested to hear how you feel in a few days!

I like the longer one too - I prefer the outline and I love the *giant* culet!!

Oh - you really don't mind the colour, and think you could be happy with it long-term? Like, really really? I have to say that that shocks me, given how sensitive you are to tint in briliant cuts!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry I had to go out for awhile and will try to answer your questions! Thanks for all the comments!

OneFifty...it is definitely great fun! Others may have a nice dinner out this weekend, but instead, I paid for shipping to play with diamonds!

ariel...the square one was the one I was most interested in potentially for a Van Craeynest setting. But I thought the other had such a beautiful cut, so I ordered it, too. I think both have a perfect cut for their shape!

novicediamond....we need to get that bf of yours to hurry up and propose! :bigsmile: I love your ring!!! Jonathan's wife actually has an N AVC in a halo setting similar to yours. I now see how those lower colors can work!

Yssie, please let me say that I think the majority of people are going to be happiest with an ideal cut rb!!! I love the gorgeous, well cut rounds! They are classic and timelss! Honestly, I wish I could justify having 3 or 4 diamond rings and then I would keep my 1.58 rb! I do worry a little about missing it because I have always worn a rb! (Is that enough to keep me in the club? :lol: ) Just in case you're interested, my 4th stone would be a great asscher or EC!

As far as the light return goes, it is mesmerizing in a totally different way...similar, I imagine, to the way one would feel about an asscher. Different from a round, yes, but beautiful in it's own way. I would not give up having a round for a cushion if I could only have one diamond. But I think the advantage of both AVR's and AVC's is that they are cut to have great light performance for their types, and that will not be true of many old stones.

Culet...I am betting many people were ignoring that M stone because the culet looked so big in the magnified photos! But you can hardly see it in real life! In fact, the culet on the L stone is almost too tiny to see, so I have learned now to look for larger culets!

Color...again, I would probably not be able to handle a lower color diamond as my only diamond ring. I really like I color and up in rounds (although I might find antique stones that I liked lower). If I could afford it, I might get a J or K in a cushion. But I honestly think the chunky facets allow the lower colors to look antiquey and appropriate for the cut.

Enerchi....I am terrible at diamond photography, but I am very interested to see the diamonds in night lighting! I'll see what I can do about more pictures!

MGR...I 100% thought I would only be interested in a square cushion! I was considering one for the VanC setting since everyone thinks I should go with a more simple setting for the AVR. It confuses things a little to really like the elongated stone, because that would probably go in a different setting! I can see myself ending up with diamond in little cases and never figuring out settings for me! :lol: I had limited time to take the stones outside and did not really get to experiment with fire. Maybe I can do that tomorrow. I may be able to tell more tonight in indoor lighting, too. Did you mean go down in color on the AVR and up in the AVC? The problem is, I am very picky about shapes of AVC's and these were the two I liked the best under a certain price point as close as possible to 2 cts. Originally I wanted to order a J and an L to see the color difference, but these were the two stones I liked the best. If I had the money and the stone was available, sure, I'd probably pick an I or J color. I am pickier about color on the rounds.

distracts....yep, just what I was thinking about the AVC looking better in that setting! I am glad you are enjoying my experimenting!

MrsS... :lol: yes, edl's ring is one of my all time favorites! Something about the larger facets makes the AVC less busy and probably better for that setting.

bastecat...I will be interested to see what you think of the M OEC! I agree that I can handle color better in old stones, but I think I can handle it better in cushions than rounds. Pale lemony is very much what I'd call these stones. I hope you love the ring you will be looking at!

stargurl...I do like the square one best for a setting like the VanC for sure! I wish I could have both of them, actually!

ecf...truthfully, you probably do need an AVR, too! They are both so different but very, very beautiful!

Gypsy...The culet on the rectangular one is just gorgeous! I could go a little larger in size even, but this stone is perfectly cut for me. The square one is gorgeous, but it could have it's culet enlarged just a bit. I like to be able to see it!

I hope that answered all the questions!

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
Great moves DS! Here's a very quick and dirty mock-up for you with the more square stone. Not sure how true the ratio is, I'd assume the AVC would look slightly smaller in reality:

avcvcmockup.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aeolianarpa|1347669755|3268387 said:
Great moves DS! Here's a very quick and dirty mock-up for you with the more square stone. Not sure how true the ratio is, I'd assume the AVC would look slightly smaller in reality:

Oh, wow, thank you SO much! The AVC is slightly larger in diameter than the cz in the ring.

I think I would love the square one in that setting!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Know that my heart is in the right place, but I am sure my post regarding my choice, will sound like something that belongs on another "forum":

bigger and longer. :o :devil: :halo: :cheeky:

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1347670079|3268391 said:
HI:

Know that my heart is in the right place, but I am sure my post regarding my choice, will sound like something that belongs on another "forum":

bigger and longer. :o :devil: :halo: :cheeky:

cheers--Sharon

BaHAHAHAHAHA!!! :lol:

And I agree with the bigger part!!! I have decided the rectangular one is too small for what I'd want to do with it. The square one is fine in that VanC setting, but I have got to balance out my stone sizes. It is funny you said that, because I had really come to the conclusion that I need a larger one if I went with rectangular!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the AVC in that setting! How would the 1.81 AVR compare size wise to the 1.80 AVC? Would the AVR be larger?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1347670696|3268396 said:
I like the AVC in that setting! How would the 1.81 AVR compare size wise to the 1.80 AVC? Would the AVR be larger?

Yes, the AVR would be larger. That is my main concern. The square one is okay size wise (just a little smaller looking) with my 1.5 round, but it would look smaller than a 1.8 for sure. I might consider a 1.5 AVR, but I don't think he is getting an H in that size.

Ideally I need the 1.8 avr and a 2.2-2.5 avc! :naughty:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you want them to be comparable in size or the ering to always be larger?

Or the 1.8 AVR with a VanC wedding band and a three or five stone AVC with smaller stones?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1347671812|3268407 said:
Do you want them to be comparable in size or the ering to always be larger?

Or the 1.8 AVR with a VanC wedding band and a three or five stone AVC with smaller stones?

They could be comparable in size or the e-ring a little larger, especially if I went with a square one. I think a 3 or 5 stone with AVC's is soooo tough to do because the stone shapes vary so much. The center one wouldn't be a problem but finding two matching sides the same color as the center would be hard. But it would be pretty! That adds considerable cost, too!

I might have to look at antique stones for the Van C ring just because of the cost factor. The unknown right now is my 1.58 rb and whether I sell it or not.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe it would be easier to focus just on the AVR for now and decide how you want to set it. By then maybe you'd know whether or not you want to sell the RB or maybe it would just sell. I know there is talk of the Van C perhaps not being made in the future the way it is today but there seem to be so many variables that it's difficult to make a firm decision. Maybe breaking it down into smaller parts would be easier than trying to put the whole picture together at this point in time. Just a thought as this makes my head swim - can't imagine what it's doing to yours!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results