shape
carat
color
clarity

solitaire setting

Shellybelly143

Rough_Rock
Hello
I would like to get your opinion whether the setting of my e-ring looks chunky? I am not quite sure the size of it. I tried to measure it and it looks to be between 2.5mm to 3mm. The ring is size 4.25. The diamond is only 1.2 carats, and the setting makes it look like it's smaller than that. Do they make solitaire rings that have thinner bands? How thin should I go with it? Thanks and I appreciate your input.

photo-5.JPG

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
It does look chunky to me. I think you could go a whole 1mm thinner (if not more) in a solitaire setting...some people like thicker bands, but your finger is so wee, and the band is so big that your BIG diamond also looks wee. If your ER band width were the same as your WR band width, it would totally POP.

If you decide to replace the setting, I'd definitely stay with a plain band as you have it because I think the contrast between the pave WR and your plain ER draws attention to the center stone. Pave+pave might be too much bling and compete with the center stone. Just a matter of preference, however, so you should get what you like...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your stone does look like a 1.2 but I think it would look even bigger on your petite finger with a thinner band.
Something in the 2mm say.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Stone-cold11|1309897367|2962181 said:
Looks fine to me. Personal preference.
agreed!

if you want a thinner band they do make them. I would advise against going thinner than 2 mm for durability issues.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is pretty but if you prefer a thinner bad I think it would look lovely too.

Shellybelly143

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much. Where can I find thinner bands? Is this something I would have to get custom-made? Would 2 mm be strong enough?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
you should be able to find a 2 or 2.2 mm band at most jewelers without going custom. I would start with the place where you purchased your diamond.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I thought it was at least a 2ct before I even read what you wrote. I think it would look great in a 2mm setting.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I personally think your set looks perfect, but if you're not happy with it, you can always go thinner. You could even have your jeweler shave down your current e-ring if you are sentimental about not changing it.

My e-ring started out at 4mm wide and my jeweler shaved it to about 2.7 mm (my diamond is .79 ct and a 4mm shank was just too thick):
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/she-got-a-makeover-and-she-looks-great.157948/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/she-got-a-makeover-and-she-looks-great.157948/[/URL]

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I really like your set the way it is now, but like the others have said, it's personal preference and if you don't like what you are seeing then you aren't going to be happy. I chose a 1.7mm for my first shank, and then felt that was too small, I ended up with a 2.1 which I think is perfect, it's still very dainty, but I don't feel like I'm going to bend it if I pick up a bag of groceries! ;-)
\
Beautiful set though! I can't wait to see what you decide!

antelope1

Brilliant_Rock
Just keep in mind that as you go thinner, the band becomes higher -- think of the cross sectional volume of metal as the determining factor in strength. So a wider band can be flatter, but a narrower band has to be higher to achieve the same metal volume. It's not to say that the same metal volume = the same band strength (because the L x W proportion matters for strength), but that there is a trade off.

Sorry for rambling. HTH. :)

Shellybelly143

Rough_Rock
Wow, stargurl! What a difference the thinner band makes. Your ring still looks the same but a lot better proportion in my opinion.

Antelope, that's a good point about the height. I didn't even think about that. If I have it shaved, will the polish be affected? Will it show marks that it was shaved? And do jewelers do it or do I have to send it back to the designer?

Thank you all so much.

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends on the setting, shaving it might seriously damage to strength of the setting. Check with the jeweler that sold you the setting or with a good benchman before making the decision.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go a little bit thinner. Also, in my experience, 6 prong settings make a stone look larger than 4 prong. Beautiful set you have, it's classic and elegant!

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock
Personally I think it looks wonderful as is, perfectly proportioned to your hand and to the wedding band and that looks like (at least) a 1.2 in there.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks fantastic! The Ering band + your eternity look perfectly proportional together, and they look really pretty on your finger, IMO.

As antelope says - thinner bands need to be deeper/higher off the finger to keep the same volume of metal. If you simply having your current ring shaved you're just losing metal, with nothing to compensate, so your ring loses strength - how much and whether it becomes a durability risk depends on how well-made and thick your ring is now, what it's made of and whether it was hand-made or cast, how thin you decide to go - your jeweller is the best person to ask.

It looks like your eternity and your current shank are of exactly the same depth/height off the finger now? If you go with a thinner, higher new setting they may not match so well in depth (or the difference may be insignificant) - another thing to consider.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Shellybelly143 said:
Wow, stargurl! What a difference the thinner band makes. Your ring still looks the same but a lot better proportion in my opinion.

Antelope, that's a good point about the height. I didn't even think about that. If I have it shaved, will the polish be affected? Will it show marks that it was shaved? And do jewelers do it or do I have to send it back to the designer?

Thank you all so much.

I agree, I like it SO much better this way. I did not have to add any height to my ring to compensate for the missing metal, the band sits about 1.4-1.5 mm high. My diamond definitely looks a bit larger with the thinner band too so I'm 100% glad I did it. Just make sure you are working with a good jeweler.

Also, mine doesn't show any marks that it was shaved and they re-polished it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results