shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitaire ring design for small fingers - Help

fixbones

Rough_Rock
Hi all !

New member from Melbourne. Looking to pop the question end of this year so been browsing and looking for an e-ring.

My SO is petite with ring size H/4

I am looking for a diamond carat around 1.3 - 1.4... I think... or maybe bigger. She likes the tiffany setting but not the band. I agree as I feel with the tiffany ring, the band might be a bit too chunky for her (For the record, Tiffany or not I do not care. Just want something that I find beautiful and is beautiful foo her)

The best that I have seen so far is the BGD tiffany tapered half round.
Not a fan of knife edges and I like the tapered bit. If anything I would prefer the shoulder of the particular BGD ring i mentioned to be a bit lower profiled

Any other suggestions? or advice??

teobdl

Brilliant_Rock
Finding a vendor that makes a decent 6-prong solitaire with rounded shank should not be a problem. You can pretty much have your pick of the bunch and they'll offer something.

I would start by finding the best diamond at the lowest price point.

What is your overall budget? Do you know what is the lowest acceptable color or clarity?

I really recommend buying in the H SI1-2 range so long as it's eye clean. This combo looks the same as higher color/clarity combos, but leaves much more money to go into carat weight so you can maximized size without sacrificing beauty.

That said, as you may have read, cut is the most important factor and you will not find anyone here recommending anything less than stellar cut.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I was going to suggest a Vatche U113, or Stuller Solstice or the bombe' shank that they use for the Solstice. But they I was ehere you thought the BGD ring was too chunky.

A ring that's worn daily needs to have a pretty substantial shank thickness to it. Otherwise, it will weaken and bend after a while.

Stuller Solstice at GOG http://www.goodoldgold.com/classic/stuller.htm
http://www.stuller.com/products/sh154/?groupId=52100
That is the peg head version. There is also an "integrated" head that is is soldered to the shank and doesn't mount via a peg. The Solstice and the Octet from Stuller are two of the most comfortable rings I have ever worn. The shank is close to a comfort fit.
Octet (they can file those 8 prongs into little claws, or at least Brian Gavin's people can) http://www.goodoldgold.com/classic/octet.htm

http://www.stuller.com/products/sh184/?groupId=52115 for a shank & then pick a head

http://www.stuller.com/products/sh69/?groupId=52207 is another shank that's lighter in wt and bulk but still strong enough for daily wear. "Step shank" is what the style is called. They can solder a Tiffany type head in there.

Look at these for ideas
http://www.stuller.com/browse/findings/shanks-guards/open-shanks/

eta: the attached ring is called a "pinched shank" if that's what you meant by less bulk at the shoulders

pinch.jpg

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
ERD did a very delicate tapered shank on my solitaire and their prices are fantastic! My shank is 1.8mm tapering to 1.5mm I believe. I have had no problems with the ring losing shape...possibly because as the width tapers in to 1.5 it grows in height, if that makes sense.

Good luck on your search!

profile_15.jpg
head_on-hair_removed_16.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
valmanin|1407804381|3730535 said:
ERD did a very delicate tapered shank on my solitaire and their prices are fantastic! My shank is 1.8mm tapering to 1.5mm I believe. I have had no problems with the ring losing shape...possibly because as the width tapers in to 1.5 it grows in height, if that makes sense.

profile_15.jpg

This is one of my favorite settings ever. If you can afford it, I would get this setting. In all platinum would be lovely as well.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
Hi!
I'm a size 4 and I have a Stuller Solstice (the heavy version) in platinum from GOG. Here's what it looks like: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/hopedreams-avc.145547/

It's super comfortable and has worn quite well. I believe they also make a lighter version with less metal, but I wanted something strong that wouldn't warp over time. My instructions were to set the diamond as low as possible.

I'm also a big fan of Mark Morrell's work, so definitely check him out too.

If at all possible, take her to physically try on settings. I was quite surprised when I found out that even though I liked basket style settings online, I didn't like them in person. She might be surprised by what she does and doesn't like on her hand in pictures vs in person.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
valmanin|1407804381|3730535 said:

profile_15.jpg

I also feel this is one of the most beautiful solitaire settings. It is so delicate and would look perfect on a small finger.

fixbones

Rough_Rock
Thank you all very much for the suggestions and links I've looked at them and there are definitely a few that I am liking

The Mark Morell designs looks really nice! Taking a liking to the petite sunburst

Valmanin - who is ERD? (pardon my ignorance)

Keep the suggestions coming!
Looking at the images and also now that I am slowly getting accustomed to e-ring terms....
Guess I am looking for a shank that tapers towards the solitaire diamond. As they taper, the shanks will have some height to it to form the shoulder and I would like this shoulder to be as low profile as possible. In terms of the diamond setting, I want it to be simple and elegant. The tiffany setting is nice, Mark Morell's sunburst is nice too. Would love to see more pictures of Valmanin's ERD ring

fixbones

Rough_Rock
Is the Vatche U113 half round? Also it does not look like it is tapered? Is someone able to confirm this........... otherwise the vatche U113 is a beautiful ring too!

fixbones

Rough_Rock
little_birdie - Heart shaped diamond! How unique. It is beautiful. I agree with you.... a 2mm shank seems to be a good size.

May I ask if your SO bought the ring from a vendor online and if he did..... was it much trouble? (I am in Melbourne too!!)

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
fixbones|1407851012|3730822 said:
Thank you all very much for the suggestions and links I've looked at them and there are definitely a few that I am liking

The Mark Morell designs looks really nice! Taking a liking to the petite sunburst

Valmanin - who is ERD? (pardon my ignorance)

Keep the suggestions coming!
Looking at the images and also now that I am slowly getting accustomed to e-ring terms....
Guess I am looking for a shank that tapers towards the solitaire diamond. As they taper, the shanks will have some height to it to form the shoulder and I would like this shoulder to be as low profile as possible. In terms of the diamond setting, I want it to be simple and elegant. The tiffany setting is nice, Mark Morell's sunburst is nice too. Would love to see more pictures of Valmanin's ERD ring

Hi! ERD is Engagement Rings Direct, a well known and respected vendor on PS. I worked with Chris FYI.

There are a ton more pics of my ring throughout this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3-55-oec-in-erd-rg-wg-solitaire.199003/

little_birdie

Rough_Rock
Thank you. My SO initially went to Charles Rose looking for a heart shape but they could only call one in for him (0.8, D, SI2) so we opted for online and paid approx the same amount all up for a bigger stone with better clarity and beautiful ASET.
It was stressful because we had some hiccups; we had a standard design modified for our stone and we werent happy with its appearance so the ring was shipped back and forth. HOWEVER, I can say that overall whiteflash was great in getting the ring fixed to our satisfaction and I would recommend them. I think the process would have had less issues if we stuck with more common stone shapes and stock settings for those shapes.
Dont forget 10% GST is a pretty penny too.

For our wedding bands we will go local, maybe to Keshetts for a custom design. Keshetts has a sale thing week too, 50% off storewide but when we went on sunday for wedding bands they were completely sold out. They do have beautiful coloured stone e rings left though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results