shape
carat
color
clarity

Solitaire or three stone for this diamond?

cheuckster

Rough_Rock
I've been having the toughest dilemma whether to leave my 1ct as a solitaire or include two small pears. This particular cut has 10 hearts and arrows so I'm afraid two pears would make it look more busy? It's a H color diamond so as a solitaire you may see more of the yellow tint? Thoughts fellas? Would adding more diamonds take away from the main's spotlight? Sorry for all the questions thank you.

_575.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
H should not have any tint. A solitaire and 3 stone are very different looks, which is dictated by personal preference. If you can, try on a few 3 stone rings in stores to decide whether you like that look.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Side rounds, yes. I only like side pears when the center stone is large and the pears are just small accents which are angled toward the sides of the finger. I don't like small pears laying on top of the finger. I think rounds work much better for that.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1426776107|3849518 said:
Side rounds, yes. I only like side pears when the center stone is large and the pears are just small accents which are angled toward the sides of the finger. I don't like small pears laying on top of the finger. I think rounds work much better for that.

I agree with DS... side rounds would look lovely and add considerable finger coverage. Let her try on both styles in similar sizes and see which she prefers.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must the the only odd one out who doesn't like round sidestones, much preferring pear sidestones. ;)) That said, I agree with DS that the pears have to be small enough to not compete with the centre RB.

cheuckster

Rough_Rock
I am trying to keep it a surprise for her so shopping for preferences is out of the question.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Side rounds may be problematic because they'll be conventional cut (8 hearts & arrows) vs my main (10 hearts & arrows). So it seems pear side stones will be my choice. I will take in consideration how the angling should look like. I have a few follow up questions:
What is a good pear size in which it won't compete with the 1ct main. .2ct -.25ct?
Also would I have to also buy matching color (H) or can I bump up a tint maybe (G) or even (F).

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1426776854|3849534 said:
I must the the only odd one out who doesn't like round sidestones, much preferring pear sidestones. ;)) That said, I agree with DS that the pears have to be small enough to not compete with the centre RB.

I like small pears too. When done right in a 3 stone they are very graceful and will have better finger coverage than rounds
due to their length.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1426780246|3849576 said:

I like small pears too. When done right in a 3 stone they are very graceful and will have better finger coverage than rounds
due to their length.

+2. I also really like pears as side stones

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1426782550|3849593 said:
tyty333|1426780246|3849576 said:

due to their length.

+2. I also really like pears as side stones

+3

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 3 stone with pears so I am slightly bias :bigsmile: . I have never looked at a 3 stone till my recent re-buy....long story ;)) . I was in the mids of designing the setting with DK when he posted a 3 stone ring with pears on his FB and I just fell in love with it and decide to go with it!! I went to the stores to try out the different 3 stones and I have to say that the pear sides is a very different look compared to round sides. To me it is a more classic and understated look, whereas the round sides is more blingy diva look. I think any stone can be in a 3stone setting. You just need to have the right proportions for your taste. I have a 1.66ct with .60cttw pears and I think DK nailed the proportions perfectly!! The sides are small enough, it makes the center stone pop. But if you prefer bigger bling, you can go with bigger pears of course. Have fun on deciding on your setting and keep us posted on what you decide :))

20150219_165611.jpg

20150219_165957.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This may sound odd, but with stones around your size I actually prefer hearts. And I know you're probably thinking "I'm no girly girl why would I want hearts on my e ring?!" Or, maybe not ;))

But when they are tucked under the stone, the cut out part of the heart gets hidden, and you just get the look of chubby squat pears. These I find more proportionate for stones that size, and what's nice is a well cut heart can be very lovely.

I'll try and find a photo.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Niel said:
Here's one amazing example

Gorgeous :love: :love: Yes it does look like fat pears instead of hearts. If you can't find heart shape sides, I think you can get chubbier cut pears to get the same look. Though the heart shape are unique sides to have ;))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamondbug|1426807739|3849796 said:
Niel said:
Here's one amazing example

Gorgeous :love: :love: Yes it does look like fat pears instead of hearts. If you can't find heart shape sides, I think you can get chubbier cut pears to get the same look. Though the heart shape are unique sides to have ;))
And probably easier to find than a pair of pears that fat, you'd think?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamondbug|1426810686|3849810 said:
Niel said:
And probably easier to find than a pair of pears that fat, you'd think?

Probably :))

Who knows lol. Either way, I like the look. I like the pears too!

From personal experience , I had the option to go with a solitaire, even with a larger stone. But the idea of multiple stones appealed to me because of the finger coverage. After I got it I realized there is something about a multi stone ring you can't get from a solitaire. The big stone sparkles different than the smaller sizes. You get such a fireworks show in the right lighting. Regardless of what shape you get, I think sides are great.

Diamondbug

Brilliant_Rock
Niel said:
the idea of multiple stones appealed to me because of the finger coverage. After I got it I realized there is something about a multi stone ring you can't get from a solitaire. The big stone sparkles different than the smaller sizes. You get such a fireworks show in the right lighting.

Yes, it is a very different look compared to melees. A cleaner simpler lines but still very blingy. I love my ring....for now....but I am already thinking of the next time I upgrade or reset, I am thinking of making a 5 stone ring like yours and adding round sides next to the center stone and pears in the ends!! Hahahaha now how about that for some major bling? :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1426787416|3849631 said:

I will have to say that Brian Gavin does an excellent job with the setting proportions and angling of the pears. I would not go over .2-.22 for sides with a 1 ct center stone. I'd really recommend getting the BG setting if you go with pears. And I would definitely have the sidestones be H color (or no higher than G).

If you wanted rounds, I see zero issue in using regular ideal cut side stones. In stones that small I do not believe it would matter at all.

Incidentally, what is her ring size?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamondbug|1426802891|3849768 said:
I have a 3 stone with pears so I am slightly bias :bigsmile: . I have never looked at a 3 stone till my recent re-buy....long story ;)) . I was in the mids of designing the setting with DK when he posted a 3 stone ring with pears on his FB and I just fell in love with it and decide to go with it!! I went to the stores to try out the different 3 stones and I have to say that the pear sides is a very different look compared to round sides. To me it is a more classic and understated look, whereas the round sides is more blingy diva look. I think any stone can be in a 3stone setting. You just need to have the right proportions for your taste. I have a 1.66ct with .60cttw pears and I think DK nailed the proportions perfectly!! The sides are small enough, it makes the center stone pop. But if you prefer bigger bling, you can go with bigger pears of course. Have fun on deciding on your setting and keep us posted on what you decide :))

This is beautiful! I think DK would be a good choice to make the setting, as well. But yours is an example of what I was saying about preferring a larger center stone, and your side stones are a great size in proportion to your center stone. I think going too large with the side pears makes a center look smaller.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Db, a 5 stone with pears? Cool! And the finger coverage

Ds, I agree, you could get regular mrb sides and it wouldn't look odd, the only thing I would try and do is get thin arrows so they mimmic the arrows in your stone. If they were fat. I think at that point it might be more obvious the cuts are different

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cheuckster|1426778272|3849556 said:
I am trying to keep it a surprise for her so shopping for preferences is out of the question.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. Side rounds may be problematic because they'll be conventional cut (8 hearts & arrows) vs my main (10 hearts & arrows). So it seems pear side stones will be my choice. I will take in consideration how the angling should look like. I have a few follow up questions:
What is a good pear size in which it won't compete with the 1ct main. .2ct -.25ct?
Also would I have to also buy matching color (H) or can I bump up a tint maybe (G) or even (F).

I can't believe everyone is giving the okay on the pear side stones. Maybe because I don't like them but people always suggest for the purchaser to go neutral if they don't know the style the person wearing the ring would like. I love pear solitaires but no pear side stones. I love 3 stone rings but only all rounds. No hearts or baguette side stones either. Does the wearer like pear side stones definitely?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results