shape
carat
color
clarity

Size vs. Clarity/Color

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ezl

Rough_Rock
Hi...

Thanks in advance for any feedback...

I'm doing reserach for an engagement ring and I'm uncertain about which affects the *wow* factor more -- diamond size or the color and clarity.

I'm pretty much committed to an 'ideal' cut round diamond between 1 and, say 1.7 carats with a platinum setting. Initially I was looking at clarity: VVS1/2, color: G stones but started to get the impression that I could look at say, a VS1/2 or even an SI1 with an H coloration and that the difference in color/clarity would not be noticiable to the naked eye at all (assuming the SI1 is 'eye clean'), but would allow me to get a larger stone (1 carat vs. ~1.7 carats). This seems good, but I want to make sure that the lesser color/clarity won't detract from the impact or 'drama' of the stone to the lay-person (I don't want to go bigger, but sacrifice on visible quality). I'd appreciate any feedback...

Also, as an FYI, these are the specs of a stone that I'm considering:

Weight: 1.72 CARATS
Cut Grade: Ideal
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: SI1
Measurements: 7.65-7.67x4.85mm
Depth: 63.4%
Table: 53%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly thick
Culet: NONE
Polish: IDEAL
Symmetry: IDEAL
Fluorescence: NONE

Thanks...

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Hi ezl:

I have a VS1, H stone which is great and I love, but many people have SI1 & SI2 stones with J & K colour that are gorgeous too. If you start with a great cut you then have lots of room to play with regarding the clarity & colour, IMHO.

Heather

ezl

Rough_Rock
Hi hlmr...

Thanks for the feedback -- I edited my post with the additional stats.

Would you say from what I posted that this stone fall into the ''great cut'' category or do you see problems with the dimensions?

Thanks for your help...

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
As long as you have an eye-clean stone, the clarity is not AT ALL going to affect the "visual impact." At all. Focus on excellent cut, and check out different colors in person to see how sensitive you are to it....if you''re NOT, you could go as low as I or J to maximize size as long as you''re looking at excellent cut. If you''re more color sensitive, then go higher. But you talk about WOW, so I''d say to order them like this:
1) cut (MOST important)
2) size
3) color (near-colorless up to J)
4) clarity (eye clean SI range)

I''m more color-sensitive, so I''d switch 2 and 3 around, but that''s me--it''s all personal preference. Check out Mara''s SI2 J and you''ll see what I mean--it''s STUNNING and white!!!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not loving the depth or the table. It''s a deep stone and the table is a tad small. Have you seen this stone??

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have enough experience to give you sound advice about this stone''s #''s, except to ask if you have seen it for yourself or if you have spoken with the vendor of the stone to get his/her perspective on how it compares to other stones they have seen. I do believe the best recourse is to find someone you can trust first and ask for them to find you a diamond that they believe is what you are looking for.

Good luck to you in your quest.
35.gif

Heather

ezl

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the responses -- it''s great that the board is so active...

In response to kaleigh --

No -- I haven''t seen it -- I''l looking at online vendors right now and haven''t spoken to their gemologist yet.

Initially I was leery of buying online, but I''m looking at Mondera and Blue Nile and with their 30 day return policies I feel pretty comfortable taking my best shot online and then returning the ring if it disappoints...

Re: the depth/table -- what percentages should I be looking for?

Thanks...

Lorin

mrmedoes

Shiny_Rock
I hate to order any of the C''s, but I think that some time here definitely makes you realize that cut is primary then everything else follows. I can''t agree more with those who say that an eye clean SI1 (or even SI2 if you''re really lucky) is a fine substitute if you can get over the mentality of having something not flawless (obviously it''s the minority that MUST have IF or FL). Personally, I think out of sight, out of mind, you know? As for color, I agree with the people who say it depends on your sensitivity to it. A nice H or I is fine for most people, but just like clarity, there are those who need D-F. Finally, keep in mind that while PS''ers are impressed with size, the first question most people ask is "what size is it?" To me, after cut, I would rank size (so long as I could be okay with the other two), and I think the general public unfortunately ranks it first. While a 1 ct is plenty, a 1.7 is much more and I think that if you can do it, and stand the downgrade at color/clarity, go for it!

hawaii 5-0

Rough_Rock
just my honest opinion here...

i was debating between all the c''s and i decided that cut was most important to me...

i was willing to go down to j and at first i wanted vs2 and higher
but after i saw si1 stones that are eyeclean i decided that si1... eyeclean that is... is good for me

i then decided j was a little too "warm" for me and that h and higher was best for me

i ended up with a H, SI1 stone and i can tell you that i am very pleased that i put cut as first priority becauase once set its tough to see the other stuff... for me

i compared my girlfriends stone to her sisters F or G (i think it was) and i actually thought my gfs stone was whiter... but then i am far from being an expert so that might explain that :)

i guess what it comes down to is preference... i could see the difference in sparkle between well cut and not so well cut stones...
i had a more difficult time seeing the difference between other factors- color and clarity
find what is important to your eyes and go with it... have fun :)

hope this helps

rosy

Shiny_Rock
I would definitely get the 1.72 carats over a 1 carat of nearly the same cost. Unless your diamond is yellow k-l-m & below you really can''t tell what color it is. I have an H & would glady go down to a J for a larger size. To the naked eye, most people cannot tell what color your stone is, but the naked eye can sure tell what size it is. But please don''t skimp on cut! Cut is what makes a J stone look whiter than it really is! Good luck!

ezl

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for all the great info --

Re: the depth of the stone I was considering -- from the responses here and other comments on the board I can see the the 63% is too deep -- I''m now refining my search to a depth of 60-61% and a table percentage of about 54-56% -- do these numbers sound good?

I''m having a little trouble finding a "rule of thumb" regarding crown and pavilion angle. Any advice in this area would be appreciated...thx...

Also, does anyone know anything about the NY Diamond District? I live in NYC and I assume you can get a great deal there *if you know what you''re doing*, but as a first time buyer I''m concerned that I don''t know enough and may come away with a worse stone/value than if I just shopped by "reputation". Has anyone had any experiences (good/bad) with the NY Diamond District?

Thanks...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here would be the specs on my dream stone
ideal cut:

table 55-56%,
total depth 60.7-61%
crown angle 34.2-34.5
pavil angle 40.7-40.8
pavil depth 42.8-43%
girdle thin-med faceted,
gia ex/ex or ags id/id H&A.
HCA score 1.0-1.5
AGA 1A cut

mb flour.

set2374

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/9/2005 7:56:10 AM
Author: ezl
Thanks again for all the great info --

Re: the depth of the stone I was considering -- from the responses here and other comments on the board I can see the the 63% is too deep -- I''m now refining my search to a depth of 60-61% and a table percentage of about 54-56% -- do these numbers sound good?

I''m having a little trouble finding a ''rule of thumb'' regarding crown and pavilion angle. Any advice in this area would be appreciated...thx...

Also, does anyone know anything about the NY Diamond District? I live in NYC and I assume you can get a great deal there *if you know what you''re doing*, but as a first time buyer I''m concerned that I don''t know enough and may come away with a worse stone/value than if I just shopped by ''reputation''. Has anyone had any experiences (good/bad) with the NY Diamond District?

Thanks...
I would consider going a little larger on the table. I know a lot of PS''ers are big fans of smaller tables (55-57%) and deeper stones (which give the diamonds the H&A effect), but since you''re interested in size, I would also consider stones with 58-61% tables. They cast a larger appearance and will usually have a larger diameter. I bought my gf a GIA cert 1.75 GSI2 stone with a 59 depth and a 58.5 table, which really sparkles like hell. The nice thing is the appearance of size. The diameter range is 7.91-7.94 mm x 4.67, no culet, very good polish, excellent symmetry, no florescence. A 2 carat stone is typically just over 8.0 mm in diameter. From the top down, you''d be hard pressed to pick out the 2 carat from the 1.75 in a side by side comparison. My diamond doesn''t have the hearts and arrows, but it''s no slouch on cut. As for price, I was lucky enough to live new NYC and went down to a diamond importer/cutter. I paid $8,960 (20 back from rap), which, considering how this diamond looked compared to many others, I thought was a really fair price. He offered me a 1.74 H&A cut, 60.5 depth, 55.5 table HSI2 for a a couple hundred less, diameter was in the 7.6 range. It was a beautiful diamond, but, side by side, it looked noticeably smaller and didn''t sparkle any more than the 1.75. All things being equal, I went with the larger appearance. I am sure tons of people on this site would have gone in the other direction, but this worked for me.

carrot

Rough_Rock
The most important attribute of a diamond is the quality of its cut because cut quality is what produces the greatest light return (brilliance, fire and scintillation). The best way to evaluate this is with an Idealscope image or Gemex Light Performance report. I would consider reviewing one or both of these to be absolutely essential before buying a diamond. MOST diamonds (about 95%) are poorly cut.

Color grade would be my second priority and I am an advocate of colorless diamonds. Some people either cannot see the differences between color grades or don''t appreciate the differences. You should definitely find out how important this it to you before choosing a diamond. Visit a jeweler large enough to inventory loose stones and look at several of different color grades (being sure to include a D) so that you can personally evaluate the significance of the differences between grades. The highest color grade is D and it is the benchmark. All other color grades are deviations from a D in varying degrees, that is they have more and more body color. Body color is usually a brown or yellowish tinge and will decrease the transparency of the stone slightly with each step down in color grade.

Regarding clarity, once you reach the eye clean level, higher clarity grades will increase the price, but, to the naked eye, the stones will not appear any different at all. Some SI1 and almost all VS2 stones are eye clean, but examine the stone yourself in person to be sure you are satisfied.

First, determine your budget. Second determine the color grade you like. Then, find a well cut stone in that color grade and which is eye clean and let size be the sliding scale to match your budget.

Cutting a diamond for maximum light return results in more waste from the rough stone. Since most buyers think a bigger diamond is better, the cutters accommodate them and cut for weight - at the expense of quality.

Be an educated shopper and be very patient. This will pay dividends for many years.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
"First, determine your budget. Second determine the color grade you like. Then, find a well cut stone in that color grade and which is eye clean and let size be the sliding scale to match your budget."

I actually agree with the above statement....your color tolerance is very important. Some have less, some have more.

My fave combo is something like an H SI2 that is eye-clean, but I don''t have alot of color sensitivity so my current stone is J SI2 and I adore it. My next stone will most likely be the same...I have found it is an excellent combo for me.

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/9/2005 2:45:55 PM
Author: Mara
''First, determine your budget. Second determine the color grade you like. Then, find a well cut stone in that color grade and which is eye clean and let size be the sliding scale to match your budget.''

I actually agree with the above statement....your color tolerance is very important. Some have less, some have more.

My fave combo is something like an H SI2 that is eye-clean, but I don''t have alot of color sensitivity so my current stone is J SI2 and I adore it. My next stone will most likely be the same...I have found it is an excellent combo for me.
I don''t agree with that statement above. I think everyone has different priorities when looking for a diamond. That statement puts color as the highest priority, then cut, clarity, & size. I think it will vary for everyone. For example, my priority is size over color. So while I like E colored stones I won''t be getting one because I love 2 carat sized stones more. Many times people will think that color will affect them greatly, but after owning a diamond & realizing that the average joe can''t tell color squat (unless it''s obviously yellow) they go down in color to get a larger diamond. Seems like Mara did that & many others on this forum.

elepri

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/9/2005 7:04:11 PM
Author: rosy

''First, determine your budget. Second determine the color grade you like. Then, find a well cut stone in that color grade and which is eye clean and let size be the sliding scale to match your budget.''

I don''t agree with that statement above. I think everyone has different priorities when looking for a diamond. That statement puts color as the highest priority, then cut, clarity, & size. I think it will vary for everyone. For example, my priority is size over color. So while I like E colored stones I won''t be getting one because I love 2 carat sized stones more. Many times people will think that color will affect them greatly, but after owning a diamond & realizing that the average joe can''t tell color squat (unless it''s obviously yellow) they go down in color to get a larger diamond. Seems like Mara did that & many others on this forum.
It''s a pretty popular opinion here that it''s fine to go down in color to maximize size as long as the cut is excellent. It really works for a lot of people and they get beautiful stones in I-J color that they''re very happy with. I would really encourage you though to look at well-cut stones of different color in person to see what you''re comfortable with. I have an ideal cut H stone; although I''m generally happy with it, it''s as low as I would go and if I ever get another stone, color will be more important to me than size (I''d want a better color first). Even the best cut is not going to mask color in every possible lighting. I also don''t agree that the average joe can''t tell the difference, most people who know squat about diamonds, do know at least about color and clarity and even an average cut D will look whiter next to your ideal J. It might just not bother you, some people actually prefer warmer diamonds. Then again, it might, so it seems like a good idea to go look before you decide to go down in color much.

Drewgasm

Rough_Rock
I will throw my opinion in........of course since no one has made it a priority yet, I will.......I will put clarity ahead of color....but NOT cut......I know Im in the minority......Im just all about pureness of a stone.......when I bought my fiances ring...it was going to be Internally Flawless....no ifs ands or buts about it......I would sacrifce in other areas......everyone is different....Some will sacrifice color, size, or clarity.....but you shouldnt sacrifice cut.........I got her a G color......IF clarity....ideal cut......1.32 carat princess......and she loves it......starting with whatever your budget is......make your own list of priorites of which you put higher as far as the 4c''s......and remember....there is no wrong answer......its entirely up to you which you prefer.....one thing you will notice on this site.....if you want someones opinion between 2 stones....your going to get 10 responses.....5 for one stone...and 5 for another, each with pros and cons......ultimately, you will have to make the choice.....and in the end, you will be happy with your choice.....

Andrew

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also think you have gotten a lot to chew on...bottom line is numbers are not everything. I compare it your ideal woman having a certain hair and eye color being a certain height...over the internet you could cull a lot of women who meet the "data" you have set forth, but until you see them in person you cannot decide who appeals to you. Or like house hunting, you would not buy a house sight unseen, even if it had the number of rooms you wanted and was in the neighborhood you liked, unless you drove up and went inside to check it out. I know these seem like weird comparisons, but they might help you realize that seeing is the TRUE measure...Purely the description of a diamond will not give you the information...and if you line them all up (varying from bigger and lower color/clarity to smaller and better color/clarity, and stuff in between) you will know when one just jumps out and "speaks" to you. Of course setting a budget and having a framework is so important to start the process, but do not close your mind to something til you have been able to see it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/11/2005 12:37:40 AM
Author: Drewgasm
I will throw my opinion in........of course since no one has made it a priority yet, I will.......I will put clarity ahead of color....but NOT cut......I know Im in the minority......Im just all about pureness of a stone.......when I bought my fiances ring...it was going to be Internally Flawless....no ifs ands or buts about it......I would sacrifce in other areas......everyone is different....Some will sacrifice color, size, or clarity.....but you shouldnt sacrifice cut.........I got her a G color......IF clarity....ideal cut......1.32 carat princess......and she loves it......starting with whatever your budget is......make your own list of priorites of which you put higher as far as the 4c''s......and remember....there is no wrong answer......its entirely up to you which you prefer.....one thing you will notice on this site.....if you want someones opinion between 2 stones....your going to get 10 responses.....5 for one stone...and 5 for another, each with pros and cons......ultimately, you will have to make the choice.....and in the end, you will be happy with your choice.....

Andrew
you must of been one of the few lucky guys, able to get hold of the new AGS 0 cut princess.
36.gif

Drewgasm

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire......

Honestly, I dont know if its one of the new ones or not.......I got it from Blue Nile and they have their own standards....Im not sure if its an AGS 0......I will post the pictures and info on it when I get it back later this week (sent it back for resizing) .....Im no diamond expert, hell, I just read up on them and used this great site and everyones input for advice.......She was happy so that made me happy......or should I say relieved? lol......

Andrew

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/10/2005 6:05:01 PM
Author: elepri

It''s a pretty popular opinion here that it''s fine to go down in color to maximize size as long as the cut is excellent. It really works for a lot of people and they get beautiful stones in I-J color that they''re very happy with. I would really encourage you though to look at well-cut stones of different color in person to see what you''re comfortable with. I have an ideal cut H stone; although I''m generally happy with it, it''s as low as I would go and if I ever get another stone, color will be more important to me than size (I''d want a better color first). Even the best cut is not going to mask color in every possible lighting. I also don''t agree that the average joe can''t tell the difference, most people who know squat about diamonds, do know at least about color and clarity and even an average cut D will look whiter next to your ideal J. It might just not bother you, some people actually prefer warmer diamonds. Then again, it might, so it seems like a good idea to go look before you decide to go down in color much.
I do agree that an average cut D will look whiter next to an ideal J but that''s a side by side comparison. Unless you have a situation where two people are comparing diamonds on their finger side by side very closely, in the the real world you won''t really see the color difference. In a jewerly store yes & that''s how jewelers sell higher graded color diamonds by showing you them against lower graded color diamonds. Naturally you''ll choose a higher color in this instance. Again, it comes down to personal perference. I''m a size girl, you''re a color girl. Hurrah!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock

'First, determine your budget. Second determine the color grade you like. Then, find a well cut stone in that color grade and which is eye clean and let size be the sliding scale to match your budget.'

My fave combo is something like an H SI2 that is eye-clean, but I don't have alot of color sensitivity so my current stone is J SI2 and I adore it. My next stone will most likely be the same...I have found it is an excellent combo for me.
I don't agree with that statement above. I think everyone has different priorities when looking for a diamond. That statement puts color as the highest priority, then cut, clarity, & size. I think it will vary for everyone. For example, my priority is size over color. So while I like E colored stones I won't be getting one because I love 2 carat sized stones more. Many times people will think that color will affect them greatly, but after owning a diamond & realizing that the average joe can't tell color squat (unless it's obviously yellow) they go down in color to get a larger diamond. Seems like Mara did that & many others on this forum.
Actually, the poster says 'find a well-cut stone'..so to me that was a given from the beginning and it wasn't even a factor as in what should go first. For me it's budget, then size, then color, then clarity. Cut is a given that it's going to be excellent. Some people do have color sensitivities while most eyes cannot pick out clarity inclusions up to a point. But some people can see a difference between and E and a G diamond moreso than many can pick out differences in clarity from VVS to VS.

I don't have color sensitivity OR clarity sensitivities and I adore size, so it's all about that for me. And cut of course.
9.gif

ezl

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the feedback -- *very* helpful...

I have a call in to Mark at engagement rings direct and I met with a vendor from Olympic Diamonds in NYC that Martin from USA Certed Diamonds referred me to. I was looking at one stone from them, but based on the cut advisor rating of 2.9 I think I'm going to pass on it. I'd be interested in people's comments on the specs, though -- especially what's off about the stone. Note that after reviewing a few stones I came to the conclusion that, for me, color is more inportant than clarity. I was originally looking for an H, but the E below is what caught my eye, even at an SI2. Also, the price for the stone below is $13,500 -- fair or high?

Col: E
Clar: SI2
Weight: 1.91
Depth:58.4
Table:59
Pol: VG
Symetry: VG
Crown %: 30.9
Pavil%: 40.2
Girdle: Sl. Thick

Drewgasm

Rough_Rock
With me being a clarity guy..........that SI2 scares me........I just hate flaws.....especially ones that are probably noticeable....however, there are good eye clean SI2''s out there....if it is eye clean.....then your ok.....I would just find out first if it is or not......Hope it all works out for ya

Andrew

ezl

Rough_Rock
Because of the low HCA score on the stone I was looking at, I ran my 2nd and third runners-up as well. They scored significantly higher (1.5 and 1.1)

The stones were my second and third choices because of the smaller appearance than the first (lower weight, but also less spread) and also the coloration (compared to the E above -- I was viewing them side by side). However, they score much better on the HCA. I''m wondering if, despite my initial impression, they would actually "perform" better despite the size and color difference and also represent a better value than the stone above. Again, I''m more concerned the effect as a piece of jewelery and less so with the "technical" perfection of the stone. I''m hesitant to hinge such an important decision on the output of an online calculator and would appreciate feedback from folks with more experience at this. The original stone I was looking at is posted last.

Price: 13,200
HCA Score: 1.5
Shape: round
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Weight: 1.8
Depth: 59.1
Table: 59.9
Pol: G
Symetry: G
Crown: 34.8&
Pavil: 40.2%
Culet: 0.5%
Girdle: Medium

Price: 14,250
HCA Score: 1.1
Shape: round
Color: H
Clarity: VS1
Weight: 1.84
Depth: 59.1
Table: 57.2
Pol: ID
Symetry: EX
Crown: 33.2&
Pavil: 40.3%
Culet: 0.6%
Girdle: Medium

Original, low scroing stone:
Price: 13,500
HCA Score: 2.9
Col: E
Clar: SI2
Weight: 1.91
Depth:58.4
Table:59
Pol: VG
Symetry: VG
Crown %: 30.9
Pavil%: 40.2
Girdle: Sl. Thick

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results