shape
carat
color
clarity

Size of Diamond- What is going on here?

ked123

Rough_Rock
For the first five years of marriage, I had a one carat stone. A few months back, my husband upgraded the stone to a little under a 2 carat (solitaire setting). I typically like the grandeur of bigger rings and I remember the "wow" factor, when first receiving it. Well, I hate to say it, but as the months go by, it appears to be smaller to me. I have some CZ costume jewelry (used this when I traveled abroad last summer) that is 2.5 carats, and I find myself dreaming of that size.

Don't get me ring- I am extremely grateful for my ring. I guess I am just wondering if this is an endless cycle?

megumic

Brilliant_Rock
be thankful for what you have. it's just a ring. there are more important things in life than sparklies. (yes, hard to admit it, i too know this, but reality is important!) you have to be the one to end the cycle of wanting or you'll constantly want more, bigger, whiter, clearer, etc, etc, etc. sorry to sound harsh, but that's what i'd say to my best friend.

...preparing for the shunning by every PSer....

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
It's been coined here as "diamond shrinkage syndrome" and I'm afraid the only cure has the awful side effect of bankruptcy and/or carpal tunnel. A lot of people ameliorate by putting their stone in a halo setting. Also adopt the mantra, "stuff is not what makes me happy".

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ked123|1293772461|2810672 said:
For the first five years of marriage, I had a one carat stone. A few months back, my husband upgraded the stone to a little under a 2 carat (solitaire setting). I typically like the grandeur of bigger rings and I remember the "wow" factor, when first receiving it. Well, I hate to say it, but as the months go by, it appears to be smaller to me. I have some CZ costume jewelry (used this when I traveled abroad last summer) that is 2.5 carats, and I find myself dreaming of that size.

Don't get me ring- I am extremely grateful for my ring. I guess I am just wondering if this is an endless cycle?

It ends.
You die, run out of money, or discover colored diamonds which can be a tiny fraction of the same weight for the same price.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
megumic|1293773710|2810687 said:
be thankful for what you have. it's just a ring. there are more important things in life than sparklies. (yes, hard to admit it, i too know this, but reality is important!) you have to be the one to end the cycle of wanting or you'll constantly want more, bigger, whiter, clearer, etc, etc, etc. sorry to sound harsh, but that's what i'd say to my best friend.

yeah, pretty much.

If you can easily afford to get a bigger rock, and you and your DH are both comfortable with the idea, go for it. If you can't, well, you have essentially two choices: either to be happy with what you have (which is a considerably sized thing, mind!) or to drop colour/clarity to gain in size. A 2.5 D IF like your CZ probably is is well out of reach for most people, but a J/K SI may not be, iff you are comfortable sacrificing in other areas.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the answer is pretty simple... throw out the CZs. Then you won't have anything to compare it to.

Then, put your ring in a safe secure place for 2-3 weeks and just wear a band. After a few weeks pull out your ring and you will be SHOCKED how huge it looks, and you will fall in love with it again. Every time you start getting that feeling, put it away for a while. It really works. I do it with my ring (which isn't anywhere near 2 carats).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
megumic|1293773710|2810687 said:

No shunning here. I agree with you. I used to resent the fact that my husband asked me to promise him not to upgrade or trade in my ring, for sentimental reasons. But now I'm grateful. I really am. Of course... all the funds that might have done into upgrading have gone into a pendant, earrings, a blingy band... so um... I still get my sparkly desires met :Up_to_something: .

purplesilk

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy said:
I think the answer is pretty simple... throw out the CZs. Then you won't have anything to compare it to.

Then, put your ring in a safe secure place for 2-3 weeks and just wear a band. After a few weeks pull out your ring and you will be SHOCKED how huge it looks, and you will fall in love with it again. Every time you start getting that feeling, put it away for a while. It really works. I do it with my ring (which isn't anywhere near 2 carats).

I totally agree with Gypsy: you don't need to upgrade, you need to put things into a new perspective.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I totally understand wanting a bigger diamond. If its in your budget and you can swing it I say go for it. If you have to go into debt to get bigger I would say save until you can get it.

purplesilk

Brilliant_Rock
Actually, there's another option, my mom's option: she has some nice diamond stuff, but she wears costume jewellery simply because she likes it...she doesn't care about diamonds or precious stones, she wears what she likes, no matter about monetary value or about what other people think.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go back to wearing your 1 carat (if you still have it)....then your 2 carater will feel large again.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Halo it or change the setting. Or put it away for a while. Yeah, it could go on forever.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results