shape
carat
color
clarity

Size 3 finger & 5-stone ring - what size stones?

northstar

Rough_Rock
Hello forumites!

First time poster here :) I've been through a bit of an evolution in deciding what my wedding band will be like - hopefully this is the last time I change my mind! I'm looking for a 5-stone ring to accompany my 0.7ct round 4-prong solitaire e-ring (1mm wide at the shoulders, 1.5 lower down)

I have small, slender fingers - ring size 3, so I'm looking for something that is blingy to enhance my solitaire, and substantial enough to wear on its own, but not too overpowering for my small finger! I'd like it to cover the width of my finger, and not stick out too much at the sides, which I might find uncomfortable (or is this not usually a problem?). So far I've been thinking of a shared-prong ring with 10-pointers after lurking the 5-stone thread and seeing B.E.G's gorgeous size 3.5 ring. I'm wondering if I can go slightly larger to 15-pointers and still get a similar look, without the stones protruding too much at the sides? Anyone have pics or experience of this? Are there even any size 3 ladies here??

A point to note - I think the ever popular 0.3ct stones will look wayyy too big for my finger, since I'd like to wear it as an 'every day' ring, so I'll prob max out at 1ctw (which is still prob too big). Having small fingers is a little irritating sometimes, though I suppose it's easier for rocks to look bigger on me, so I shouldn't complain, ha!

Thanks in advance for your help :)

purplesilk

Brilliant_Rock
15 pointers band on 3.75 size:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/idj-5-stone-ring-0-75tcw-4-prong-pictures.163520/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/idj-5-stone-ring-0-75tcw-4-prong-pictures.163520/[/URL]

I wouldn't go with 15 pointers because IMO five 10 pointers are big enough to cover the entire top of your finger...I think also 5 pointers would look great on your finger...the best advice I can give you is to try a bunch of different diamond bands and decide what works best on you.
:wavey:

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
what size is the center stone you are planning on wearing the ring with? That would play a huge part in what size stones I chose for a band. I personally think 10 pointers is still big enough to wear solo on a size 3 ( I wear a 3.5) and may not overpower you e-ring. You also will need to think about the girdles of the eternity band stone b/c they can eat away at your e-ring depending on the maker and the larger the stones, the higher it will sit leaving more room for damage, unless you wear a spacer.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I'm a 3.25 and I have a 5 stone ring w/ 10 pointers. Personally, I dont like seeing the tiny bit of space on the sides, and wish it was a 7 stone instead!

northstar

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies so far!

purplesilk - that ring is lovely! It sticks out a little from the sides, but still IMO, doesn't look too big for her finger as it curves nicely. I wonder if it'd be different for a size 3 as compared to a 3.75. I haven't found many smaller 5-stone rings in local shops..but I suppose I'll hunt more!

mrssalvo - my e-ring is 0.7ct. Wear and tear is something I've been a bit worried about too as the girdles stick out from the bottom of my e-ring a bit, so I've been looking at lower profile rings (about 3mm in height, my e-ring is just under 7mm). Initially it bothered me massively that no straight ring would sit flush, but I've since gone off the idea of having a ring with a curve, solitaire enhancer etc etc, and would rather have a straight ring that can be worn alone. So perhaps I'll have to make do with some scratches? I wonder if it is worth getting a spacer, though I don't think I'm a fan of the look (yet!)

fortekitty - Interesting! I've been thinking about the space too and I've been tempted by 7 stones, but I think it might get a bit scratchy between fingers, and I like the 'top coverage' of a 5 stone. Do you think 15pt stones would work better for you? Do you have any pics of your ring? :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
15 pointers just will not work with a .70 ct diamond, in my opinion. They will sit up higher and probably scratch the prongs of the e-ring, not to mention overpower the e-ring diamond. I wouldn't go over 7 or 8 pointers with your diamond, and I'd make it 7 stones. They should be set super low and not bother you on the sides if it is made right. I have a band of seven 10-11 pointers and feel like it is a lot with my 1.5 ct. diamond. I would definitely not wear 15 point stones with my 1.5. A 15 point band is really at a size to be a standalone ring, in my opinion, unless the diamond e-ring is very large (over 2 cts.). And even then, we had a PSer whose wife had a 15 point band that damaged her e-ring diamond and it had to be replaced. She now wears the 15 point eternity ring alone on her other hand.

This is a 10-11 point band with a 1.6 ct. diamond:

New Rings c.jpg

northstar

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your input diamondseeker. It's hard to reign in the 'blingreed' with DSS distortion thrown in! I think I need to find some rings in person, but I think I perhaps now agree that 15 pointers will be too big as a wedding band, with my 0.7. I am concerned about the scratching, so I'll be looking at something low set for sure, and I'm wondering if I should consider a thin spacer with a hollow curve on the side of the e-ring. Hmmm. I was initially considering more stones, but I don't like too thin of a band, especially on it's own, plus I like lots of sparkle, so that's what led me to the 5 stone look with 10 pointers. 7 stones might be in the running again, now that you've posted that pic! Love your collection! :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! I found that the two lowest set bands were Memoire and Tiffany. Both are on the expensive side, but you usually won't have to wear spacers with them, either. I wear a 5.5 and I wish I had 9 stones instead of 7, so I think 7 would be great on your smaller fingers! I do have a thin band with smaller diamonds that I wear most of the time, though.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1339020914|3210727 said:
15 pointers just will not work with a .70 ct diamond, in my opinion. They will sit up higher and probably scratch the prongs of the e-ring, not to mention overpower the e-ring diamond. I wouldn't go over 7 or 8 pointers with your diamond, and I'd make it 7 stones. They should be set super low and not bother you on the sides if it is made right. I have a band of seven 10-11 pointers and feel like it is a lot with my 1.5 ct. diamond. I would definitely not wear 15 point stones with my 1.5. A 15 point band is really at a size to be a standalone ring, in my opinion, unless the diamond e-ring is very large (over 2 cts.). And even then, we had a PSer whose wife had a 15 point band that damaged her e-ring diamond and it had to be replaced. She now wears the 15 point eternity ring alone on her other hand.

This is a 10-11 point band with a 1.6 ct. diamond:
yep,that's why my wife wears a 2mm spacer ring b/t her ering and 5 stone ring.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't do 10 pointers with a .70 diamond either. What about doing a thin band with 3 or 5 pointers to wear with your e-ring and then get a nice stand alone size with 10 pointers too? Do you have a Tiffany's near you? They usually have several bands in different carat weights that you could try on with your ring and decide which size you like best.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since MrsS mentioned this, I will post you two pictures (taken with a phone, sorry!) with a 1.5 ct. diamond and a Tiffany band with 8 pointers and then with a three point band. The PSer's wife who had to move her 15 point band to her right hand actually chose the band with the 3 pointers for her new wedding band and her e-ring stone is actually 2.3 cts.(and her ring size was just under a 3...I'll see if I can find the thread). We are just trying to get the point across that large diamonds in the band are going to make your e-ring diamond look small.

7 stone, .56cts.jpg

9 stone .27cts.jpg

northstar

Rough_Rock
Hey all! I'm back with some info! It's taken me a few weeks to find stores that even carry the types of rings that I've been looking for (very limited selection here as I live in a small city), but I think I have enough to be able to make a decision...mostly.

Purplesilk - that link definitely helped, thank you! Mrssalvo, no Tiff's unfortunately. 3 pointers are too small for me personally as I don't like the look of too thin of a band on my finger, but 5's are definitely better. A separate band of 10 pointers? I like your thinking! Currently I'm only in the market for 1 ring, but I really did like the look of a 5 stone on my middle finger (see below)! RHR perhaps down the line? :naughty:
diamond seeker, thanks for those pics - they're really useful with perspective comparison. Since you've all been great, here are some pics to show you my findings!

5 stone ring with 10pts - looked lovely but does indeed take away from my e-ring. (Sparkle in a vid I took is deeelightful though!)
img_9893.jpg
img_9892.jpg

On my middle finger...
img_9896.jpg

7 stone ring with 5.5pts (actually a 9 stone, but I hid the side ones) - really like the look of this and the sparkle was fab too :)
7_stone_look__6__good__0.jpg
7_stone_look__2_.jpg

More stones visible (too much, I think)
7_or_9_stone_look__4_.jpg7_or9_stone_look__3__0.jpg

Most rings are way too big on me, (6 or so, whilst I'm a 3), so some are pictured on the 'wrong' side of my e-ring as it's easier to sit straight, and give a better idea of what they'd look like sitting flush. I also tried on an 11 stone with 3-5 pointers, but it was too thin as a standalone ring. Even though the 5-6pts might still look 'too big', I think it's a happy medium for me as it looks subtantial enough to wear alone, but also doesn't overpower my e-ring too much. What do you think? :twirl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 5-6 points is perfect with your e-ring and I also think 7 or nine stones will be better, too!

Trelala

Shiny_Rock
I personally like the 7 stone with 5.5pts on you. The proportions work better with your e-ring and finger.

I'm a size 3 and getting great ideas for a future anniversary present by reading this. muhaha. :bigsmile: Can't wait to see what you decide.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the 5-6 pointers best too!

northstar

Rough_Rock
This is really helping ladies! Trelala - it's a pleasure being an enabler <evil grin>, and yay for another size 3!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results