shape
carat
color
clarity

Single Stone ring - need suggestions for profile design!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone. I'm new to posting here, but I have been a fan of this site for a very long time! I am currently working with Single Stone to have a new antique-inspired setting made for my engagement ring, and I am having trouble deciding what I want the gallery to look like.

To give you some background, I was convinced that I wanted a custom pave halo, since they are **gorgeous** and seem to be all the rage right now. That said, when I saw this ring at Single Stone...it was all over. I love how the engraved, platinum halo is subtle and will really allow my stone to be the main focus, and I also love that it's unique.

My only hesitation is with the side view of the ring. The top-down view, while antique-inspired, is still clean and simple. The gallery on the ring they had in the store is absolutely beautiful, but I think it's a bit busier than I would personally like. Or perhaps I just like straighter lines rather than curly cues? I know that I'm usually drawn to more simple designs, and my concern is that I will grow tired of the gallery a few years down the road.

Does anyone have any suggestions or photos/links to examples of other gallery designs that I might want to consider? I obviously want to go with something that is true to the style of the ring, but I also want to make sure I'm 100% happy with everything before I move forward. Single Stone is also going to provide suggestions for me, but I definitely wanted to see if any of you had suggestions.

Pics of the ring are below. Thank you so much in advance!

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

_171.jpg

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Yikes, it's kind of hard to tell what the face of the ring looks like in that photo, but I suppose you can still get the basic idea. I will definitely be posting better pics when my ring is finished!!

mandasand

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, it is SO beautiful! But, I do agree it is busy. If you absolutely have to change it, maybe consider this profile taken from another one of their settings. The basket seems much more fluid and cradles the diamond.

_172.jpg

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
That one is nice. Thank you for sharing the pic!

I also forgot to include a rendering of the ring with the scroll design removed. What do you guys think of this? Too open? Too simple? I should also mention that my ring will not sit as high, so the space in the middle wouldn't be as large...

image006.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lovely SS ring!! I prefer the second gallery you posted and the thread that Alene linked to, I love Art Nouveau's "petal" style gallery - open and airy. That's the look that I prefer. I want as much light getting into my diamond as possible - "sparkle, little diamond, sparkle!!!"

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is my ALL TIME FAVORITE SS ring, swooooon, can't wait to see it! :love:

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much for the suggestions/opinions!! I like the petal look as well. I'm not sure whose ring this is anymore, but I pulled this one as an inspiration - what do you think of something similar to this??

Also, alene - your gallery is stunning! Super unique and beautiful. :love:

design2.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
That design appeals to me more than your original posted photo. I still find the petals a bit... "tight"...?? Too close together - more daisy-ish than waterlily (KWIM? that sounds silly when I look at that!)What I mean is the fatter petals seem airier.

What do you like in a gallery? do you like a lot of detail? do you prefer diamond melee there? will you wear it with a wedding band? will it sit tight up against your ring??? What other suggestions does your designer have for the gallery?

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy|1341968069|3232039 said:
that is my ALL TIME FAVORITE SS ring, swooooon, can't wait to see it! :love:

Skippy, I had this moment where I saw it, and it was pure love at first sight. Patti said she could hear my heart beating. LOL! It's not even what I was looking for - I've literally been looking at the pave halos for the past 9 months. Amazing how things can change in the blink of an eye!! :lol:

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1341968609|3232045 said:
That design appeals to me more than your original posted photo. I still find the petals a bit... "tight"...?? Too close together - more daisy-ish than waterlily (KWIM? that sounds silly when I look at that!)What I mean is the fatter petals seem airier.

What do you like in a gallery? do you like a lot of detail? do you prefer diamond melee there? will you wear it with a wedding band? will it sit tight up against your ring??? What other suggestions does your designer have for the gallery?

Yes, I know what you mean. I was originally wanting a Harry Winston-inspired setting, so I think I'm used to the simple profile with the pave stems. Now that I've moved onto this more antique style, I want to be true to the ring - but my main goal is to go with something I won't get completely sick of! I usually like simple - I'm not against a design or pattern, as long as there isn't too much going on. That's my main issue with the sample ring. Beautiful, but maybe too *much* happening there for me.

I'm also not against using diamonds in the gallery since I'm moving away from diamonds in the halo. Gotta keep some bling, right??

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
As for the wedding band, I used to think that I wanted something to sit flush, but that theory went straight out the window when I saw this ring. I love the basket that sits squarely on top of my finger. I tried on some super thin bands that looked awesome - I didn't mind the small space at all.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock
twosanguinehearts|1341968451|3232043 said:
Thank you so much for the suggestions/opinions!! I like the petal look as well. I'm not sure whose ring this is anymore, but I pulled this one as an inspiration - what do you think of something similar to this??

Also, alene - your gallery is stunning! Super unique and beautiful. :love:

love this one the most so far

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really think the original design fits the style the best. It is a beautiful ring! I think those petals are too contemporary looking. And I think it won't look right with the side open. But I am sure SS will show you some good options that will work style-wise.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I love the top view of that ring! I agree that the side view is too busy, and makes the ring look extraordinarily bulky. I like the one Mandasand posted best, I think, followed by the petal style, though I think it could be altered to better suit the ring.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1341969158|3232057 said:
I really think the original design fits the style the best. It is a beautiful ring! I think those petals are too contemporary looking. And I think it won't look right with the side open. But I am sure SS will show you some good options that will work style-wise.

I agree with DS. I would trust Ari's eye. He's amazing!

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
twosanguinehearts|1341968914|3232051 said:

Yes, I know what you mean. I was originally wanting a Harry Winston-inspired setting, so I think I'm used to the simple profile with the pave stems. Now that I've moved onto this more antique style, I want to be true to the ring - but my main goal is to go with something I won't get completely sick of! I usually like simple - I'm not against a design or pattern, as long as there isn't too much going on. That's my main issue with the sample ring. Beautiful, but maybe too *much* happening there for me.

I'm also not against using diamonds in the gallery since I'm moving away from diamonds in the halo. Gotta keep some bling, right??

If you've seen the Single Stone rings in person, you'll see that they are extremely delicate and subtle. The design won't be as prominent as in the picture. All the rings I tried on there were very detailed up close, but some of the detail was barely noticeable at 8-12" inches. I definitely don't think you'll get stick of it!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
webdiva|1342019846|3232342 said:
twosanguinehearts|1341968914|3232051 said:

If you've seen the Single Stone rings in person, you'll see that they are extremely delicate and subtle. The design won't be as prominent as in the picture. All the rings I tried on there were very detailed up close, but some of the detail was barely noticeable at 8-12" inches. I definitely don't think you'll get stick of it!

That is a great point. When I tried it on in person, I thought it was gorgeous - I did question the scroll design in the middle, but they said that it could easily be changed out for another pattern. Perhaps I'll see what they suggest along those lines as well so the ring maintains it's current structure / style. I also remember loving the height of it, however in the pics it looks SUPER high to me...so I think you're right that the photos really amplify everything.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
When do you get to meet with Ari, twosanguinehearts? Can you take pics with you of other ideas? ... or bring your camera along, of ideas HE may want to show YOU!!

No matter what you decide on, you'll enjoy the process and it will end up with a gorgeous ring that is completely custom for you! I love the direction you are going in - true to the antique/vintage look - and the ideas you are coming up with! Fun! (but a little stressful ;)) )

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Update! I went in today and I feel so much better about my options! First of all, the ring is 1,000 times more delicate looking in person - I think it's super difficult to convey this in photos. I explained to Ari what I was looking for (cleaner lines, still airy, still antique), and I showed him some of the above suggestions for reference.

He pulled out a ring with really pretty, delicate arches as an option of a design that he thought would look great with my setting - see the first two photos below. This is a completely different ring, but we're thinking of taking the original setting I posted above, lowering the overall height a bit, and replacing the scroll with these arches. I will probably also add diamonds around the top of the gallery where it is currently just miligrained so there is a consistent look on either side of the arches.

The last photo is terrible quality, but I wanted to post it for reference. The ring on the left is the same ring as the one on the right but made for a much smaller stone. See how much more compressed the gallery is? I liked the overall look better, but it does close the gallery up a bit. Also, the ring on the left obviously hasn't been set with the diamonds or etched yet, so keep that in mind. My ring will be slightly higher than the one on the left, and if I go with the arch design, my gallery will have an "airier," lighter look to it.

So that's the update for now. I will be getting sketches in 2 weeks, and I'll keep you guys in the loop!

_189.jpg

_190.jpg

_191.jpg

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, so I made a pretty sad attempt at drawing in that arch design over the scroll to get a general idea of what it may look like. Keeping in mind that SS will do it much better justice, what do you all think of this idea??

photoshop.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is the perfect solution! I really love the engraving on the sides, personally!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1342111281|3232854 said:
I think it is the perfect solution! I really love the engraving on the sides, personally!

I agree, it looks gorgeous!!! eeee, can't wait to see it set :love: :cheeky:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice photoshop work, 2SH!!! (I've shortened you for convenience - LOL!)

I like the openness of the cathedral arch design - its much less heavy compared to the original one and not as 'frou frou' as the petal option (not that I don't like petals, but for YOUR ring, I thought the petal gallery wasn't fully connected with the top down view...)

Very nice! Are you still going to put some diamond melee in there somehow??

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1342128753|3232961 said:
Nice photoshop work, 2SH!!! (I've shortened you for convenience - LOL!)

I like the openness of the cathedral arch design - its much less heavy compared to the original one and not as 'frou frou' as the petal option (not that I don't like petals, but for YOUR ring, I thought the petal gallery wasn't fully connected with the top down view...)

Very nice! Are you still going to put some diamond melee in there somehow??

LOL, why thank you! And 2SH - I love it!

I agree - I thought it was a nice compromise of everything we've been discussing so far! There will definitely be diamonds on the bottom of the gallery like there are in the original design - and I may add them along the top as well where there is currently just miligrain. Not 100% sure about that yet, but I think I may do it since there aren't diamonds in the halo itself.

Side note: SS says that this ring is actually not a "halo." Not sure if that's because there aren't diamonds on it, but I thought that was interesting...looks like a halo to me. :lol:

Thank you so much to everyone for your opinions - it is extremely helpful!!!!!!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I love the profile you chose, it is gorgeous! I can't wait to see the finished product! :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's the milgrain on the top that really makes the vintage look..."work"!! :)) If it were me, I'd probably NOT put diamonds on the top, as in Halo style, but for sure around the gallery some how - maybe alternate arches? or on the side struts supporting the ring head/"arms" of the shank... KWIM?? Its just your recut stone is such a STAR that I'd worry it may be lost if you haloed around it.

Just as an aside -prior to the beautiful BGD 3 stone I have now, I had one made by a B&M locally and I can now say - in public, to all and sundry! - that I put too much stuff on that ring! I had melee on the shank and surprise stones in the trellis under the centre diamond. Sometimes, too many things on a ring ... are just that... too many things!!! Ah, I could be talking thru my hat, and it sounds like Ari is a very VERY skilled designer, so he'd stop you before there was a heinous error made!!! (but I thought I'd share my 'too much' story! :oops: )

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like your Photoshop version! I think it'll be gorgeous! Can't wait to see the sketches!

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1342135680|3233013 said:
I think it's the milgrain on the top that really makes the vintage look..."work"!! :)) If it were me, I'd probably NOT put diamonds on the top, as in Halo style, but for sure around the gallery some how - maybe alternate arches? or on the side struts supporting the ring head/"arms" of the shank... KWIM?? Its just your recut stone is such a STAR that I'd worry it may be lost if you haloed around it.

Just as an aside -prior to the beautiful BGD 3 stone I have now, I had one made by a B&M locally and I can now say - in public, to all and sundry! - that I put too much stuff on that ring! I had melee on the shank and surprise stones in the trellis under the centre diamond. Sometimes, too many things on a ring ... are just that... too many things!!! Ah, I could be talking thru my hat, and it sounds like Ari is a very VERY skilled designer, so he'd stop you before there was a heinous error made!!! (but I thought I'd share my 'too much' story! :oops: )

Oh no - I don't think I explained that clearly. I am not touching the face of the ring whatsoever - I love the engraved halo! I am just thinking of doing diamonds above and below the arches on the gallery so there is a bit of sparkle on the side view. :)

I'm sure many of us can relate to your situation with the last ring! It's super easy to start adding, adding, adding...and then suddenly the focus is lost! It's so much fun to have the opportunity to customize a piece, and sometimes it's hard to reign it in! Your BGD is amazing though, and that's all that matters now - you live and you learn! :lol:

_203.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ah HA,! Now I get it! That seems perfect, sorry I misunderstood. :oops: The sparkle Top and bottom seems perfect on that profile :appl:

Yeah, live and learn is so true. What seemed like a good idea at the time....was not!! Lol!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results