shape
carat
color
clarity

Simple Solitaires- Cathedral or No Cathedral?

Cathedral or NO Cathedral for a Simple Soltaire- No Pave?

• Cathedral Settings

Votes: 22 61.1%
  • No-Cathedral Settings

Votes: 14 38.9%

• Total voters

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Which do YOU prefer for a simple solitaire WITHOUT pave?

....And does the size of the stone matter? Or the height of the setting?

i.e., Cathedral for smaller stones to prop them up more to appear bigger from the top view & no cathedral for a larger stone to be able to see the stone from the side? Or is it vice versa for you?

I really went for cathedrals because I loved the profile view the provided and the varying design options.

But then, looking at a Tiffany solitaire I saw in person the other day (2+ct stone easily), I adored it!!! :love: and realized one of the many attractions of the Classic Tiffany Solitaire is the side view * of the diamond it provides and the way the diamond just POPPED from the side. :love: Cathedral settings may tend to mask that view with the extra metal going up.

*Side view = the view that shows the "east" and "west" sides of the diamond.

So which do you tend to prefer? and WHY?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like settings with a a little height, so I LOVE cathedral settings, especially on solitaires! Re the Tiffany setting, it's not a true cathedral *but* it does have a little height in the shoulders (they're a little raised), which is also why I love it.

mitsui4

Brilliant_Rock
I like it raise no matter how big the stone is. But I realise that is kinda impossible with my 2+ct stone (it is currently on a normal 6-prong setting) and is already very high. I cannot imagine setting it even higher.. I love solitaire setting!

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for your reply Laila!!

You're right, I did notice that the Tiffany has a little height as well (which I love!). I specifically mean a setting with cathedral arms/shanks rising from the main shank reaching the diamond just below it's girdle.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Here are some pics of what I'm thinking (I apologize for not crediting the owners in advance. Found these pics through a google image search):

Cathedral: (with "arms")

DSC04790rs11.jpg

228profileabcdefghi.jpg

jjcprof2.jpg

images_4.jpg

julia_0.jpg :love:

cathedral.jpg

swan.jpg Swan :)

Non-Cathedral:

MM.jpg

TogetherBoxWFaca.jpg

grace.jpg

sophie_0.jpg :love:

Mulch%2002%20080509.jpg

noncathedral.jpg Picture this without pave

6prong.jpg Non-cathedral, but still can be set high

whiteflash-tiffany-solitaire-profile.jpg

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
mitsui4|1320562400|3055094 said:
I like it raise no matter how big the stone is. But I realise that is kinda impossible with my 2+ct stone (it is currently on a normal 6-prong setting) and is already very high. I cannot imagine setting it even higher.. I love solitaire setting!

Mitsui, I adore your ring!!!! :love: Yours was also one of the rings I was thinking of without cathedrals.

And I just loooove your small diamond WB. I think it is rose gold? Can you tell me if it is pave or channel-bead set? I'd love to see it up close!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I generally prefer cathedral.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the best examples of both. For example, I love the Vatche Caroline and I like the WF Legato Sleekine a lot as well as Leon's classic solitaire. I also love a great Tiffany repro...so far the best three I think are Vatche U113, Excel, and maybe BGD. I also think there are bad examples of both kinds.

LittleRiver

Shiny_Rock
Well I have a solitaire so of course my setting is my fave ;)) I have the MM Petite Torchiere, which is similar to the Tiffany setting in that the shoulders rise up a bit where they meet the head, but it is not a true cathedral.

I think I prefer non-cathedral for 6 prongs and cathedral for 4 prongs.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Almost every setting I've ever owned has been a cathedral, so I must love them! They're so pretty to look at from the side view!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer cathedrals, but like DSeeker, I like settings that are well made in both styles.

My original ering setting did not have a cathedral, and my upgrade has a cathedral. I much prefer my upgrade profile. But that's just me!

I actually always loved cathedrals, but then about a week before we finalized the design on my original ering, DH and I were out for brunch in the city and I saw a woman with a killer solitaire that did not have a cathedral. I really loved the way it looked, and changed my mind on the spot about my own ring. It was a rash decision, and even though I prefer cathedrals, I didn't regret it.

That being said, I think you can have both styles set high or not. I prefer low settings, myself. Again, it's all about personal preference.

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone!

Like you, Haven, I have always wanted a cathedral until I saw a gorgeous Tiffany solitaire the other day. Now I'm confused. lol

DS, I love yours and your daughter's rings! So lovely. And, yes, there are great examples of both styles. This makes choosing even harder.

Laila, thanks for sharing your opinion about the cathedral for 4 prongs and non-cathedrals for 6-prong.

LittleRiver, your MM is also one of the rings I instantly thought of with the non-cathedral look. It makes your diamond just POP!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results