shape
carat
color
clarity

Silly question....maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

USFBulls

Rough_Rock
I will be purchasing a setting and diamond for my future fiance...

we live in Chicago....will the setting get caught on gloves during the winter?

i am thinking of the X Prong vatche from whiteflash...

thanks

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
RE: Prongs getting caught

Yes - it is a POSSIBILTY but will it happen?

No one can predict this. A lot depends on how it''s worn.

The best answer/advice I can give you is to make sure that if it does, that you''re properly insured.

Additionally, have it checked frequently to make sure of the integrity of the setting work. If it does get loose easily then you should have it checked more often.

Rockdoc

USFBulls

Rough_Rock
so, should i be looking for a setting that sits lower?

i believe she will wear the ring every day...as well as gloves every day during the winter.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes a lower setting will help it not to get caught on gloves or other things. Also a bezel set stone will not get caught on much of anything.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
My diamond is set low and even so, my prongs do catch on my gloves. Usually, I wear soft cashmere gloves so the threading isn't strong enough to do damage. . .the worst that occures is cute little fluffy lint balls around the prongs
9.gif

USFBulls

Rough_Rock
is the setting i am considering high? vatche x-prong

i am clueless about the high low thing?

I am looking for a diamond in the 1.0 - 1.2 range

thanks....

njc

Brilliant_Rock
That x-prong is pretty low. Low vs. high is really a personal thing. I think mine is high, but in reality i think its more of a medium height.

Over the winter, I would occasionally catch my ring or my prongs would get some fuzzies, but like Michelle said, nothing that couldnt be pulled off easily. I also noticed my ring would turn so the diamond was laying on my pinky finger, allowing it to lay flatter. For christmas i got a nice pair of suede gloves and the lining was a thin fleece... that never got caught! So, i wouldnt worry too much about gloves. She will be able to find something that works!

lilyinct

Shiny_Rock
I have a 1.5 carat in the Tiffany Lucida setting (similar to the xprong), and have no problems with gloves, whether it be during the winter or during work (I''m a nurse). I love how low the setting is!

Good luck!

rockupied

Rough_Rock
I have a 1.27 princess set in a Vatche X-Prong. I don''t have problems with the prongs catching on anything, gloves included. My stone is set just about as low as it can be.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the Royal Crown next to the X-Prong. I personally consider the Royal Crown high, but i think its the same height as my ring.

vatche_height.jpg

USFBulls

Rough_Rock
is it just the diamond or does the royal crown make the diamond look much better in that photo?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
When a diamond is set higher, allowing more open "space" in the setting underneath the stone, it does give a stone a different appearance, IMO. Whether it makes the stone look "better", is a matter of opnion, I suppose. I guess I would have to say that it probably does, but I just am not one for high settings and so my setting is a low basket with the stone set as low as possible, just short of the stone''s culet (point) touching my skin.
With that said, I think that the Vatche'' x-prong (like the Tiffany Lucida setting) is a low setting. However, anything with prongs is going to "catch" on something if it is a knitted "fabric" (like a sweater knit) that lines the gloves. As was stated above, it isn''t (shouldn''t) compromise the prongs, but might leave a little sweater "fuzz" in the prongs that she can easily pull out, no harm done.
As suggested, the only way to avoid any of this is to go for a bezel setting, and you either love them or you hate them, so I''d be sure that your girl likes bezels before you drop $$$ into a bezel setting.
t

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results