shape
carat
color
clarity

Sigh. My setting horror story

jonas

Rough_Rock
Soooooooo... I know some of you have been waiting for me to post pics of the ring once it was set. Well, unfortunately it is a nightmare that is still unfolding. you see i decided to buy it from a local person. Wanted to support my local economy a bit and "thought" it would also be nice to have a local place where Beth could take her ring to clean. Etc. now I went with the most basic solitaire setting with a simple 4 prong head. Not once did I ever think that would be COMPLICATED for someone to make. Especially a man who said he was a master jeweler for the last 30 years. Anyways. I go to collect it and when he handed it to me, the only word that comes to mind is AGHAST.... :errrr: :errrr: :(sad I picked it up and inspected it and this is what I saw. I saw a band/shank that was not circular. It was shaped like an egg and WAY thicker on one side. The knife edge was slanting left and right all around the band. It looked like one of those crazy mirrors you see in a clown house. It had a small dent next to the prongs. The 4 prongs were crooked. 2 of em stuck straight up in the sky and the other 2 were slanting off. The diamond was not level. It tilted to one side and from the top view it was not center on the band. I'm telling you girls. Can you imagine how I felt staring at my gorgeous .563 H&A ACA white flash diamond in a setting tha looks like something you would get out of one of those gumball/toy machines your kids love that you put a quarter in. :(( :(( :(( :o :knockout:

Yeah. I couldn't even speak. He had the audacity to look at me and say.... Beautiful isn't it....?. Well I just about lost it.. And 30 mins later after a heated exchange, I was heading home so upset with my setting that he refused to refund. He offered to "fix it better" and I was like no... We are not gonna play this game. I refuse to come back and forth to you as you fix it and subsequently claim it looks good and I know it's terrible. I want my $$ back and you can keep your atrocious shank. He said no deal. And I put my tale between my legs and drove home. When I got home she was sleeping. I then went immediately onto a website of a reputable dealer online and ordered a simple 4 prong band. It arrives on Monday and then I will take my awful setting and the new one into some other place and hope they can take it out and put it in the new one professionally.

Sigh... Disappointing. My gosh. Anyways.. Was there a lesson learned? Perhaps... I should have had white flash make the whole ring.. That was my mistake. Word to the wise. Get it all done one time at one place. I'll be skiing in Utah next week. When I get back hopefully it will have come perfectly made in the mail...I'll let you know :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Jonas

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
jonas,

That's awful! I hope you get it all sorted out soon.

liz

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, bummer. :nono:

If you paid for the setting with a credit card, I would ABSOLUTELY dispute it.

ETA: I would consider sending it back to WF and having them mount it in one of their simple solitaires.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jonas, I am sick to hear that! :(( I do strongly suggest that you cancel that setting order. Call WhiteFlash in the morning and tell them your disaster and ask them if you can pay for them to send you a shipping label to send the diamond back to them to set (it will be fully insured that way). Then once they set it, they will send it back to you. This is why I always recommend that the diamond seller set the stone. What if that man had chipped your stone???? Another jeweler is not going to be all that interested in setting a diamond that he did not sell in a setting that he did not sell. I would advise you not to do that. Please let WhiteFlash set the stone. They will do it right, and on the rare occasion that there has been an issue, they fix it.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1360896734|3380471 said:
Jonas, I am sick to hear that! :(( I do strongly suggest that you cancel that setting order. Call WhiteFlash in the morning and tell them your disaster and ask them if you can pay for them to send you a shipping label to send the diamond back to them to set (it will be fully insured that way). Then once they set it, they will send it back to you. This is why I always recommend that the diamond seller set the stone. What if that man had chipped your stone???? Another jeweler is not going to be all that interested in setting a diamond that he did not sell in a setting that he did not sell. I would advise you not to do that. Please let WhiteFlash set the stone. They will do it right, and on the rare occasion that there has been an issue, they fix it.

BIG ditto to this. Send it back to WF and have them set it in one of their settings. Having another jeweller set a stone that's not his in a setting that's not his is a recipe for disaster.
And ditto Laila - I'd dispute the CC charge.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh no....oh no no no!! Call WF and see if they can hurry and set it into a simple setting for you, and dispute the setting charge with the local vendor. That's unacceptable!

D

Deactivated member 42515

BAM!!!!!! One solid punch in the throat to that stupid jeweler for making such an atrocious ring!!!!!

And a solid kick to the guts when he's down!! For not standing by his work and giving you a refund!!!

Call WF like everyone says! Let them set your beautiful ACA. They will treat your diamond like their baby cuz it is their baby!

Good luck!

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Jonas, that is awful! I completely agree, that you should let WF set the stone. It is always a good idea to have the people who sell you the stone, set it.

Frenchcut

Shiny_Rock
I agree with what the other posters have said, send you stone back to WF and ask them to set it for you...it's your best bet. You never know what you may to end up with if you go to another local place. And I would still try to get a refund from the jeweller that set your stone so badly, this is insane.

Good luck with your new setting, it must be so frustrating.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
All I can say is that goodness you know about a plan B through Whiteflash. You deserve a great finished product.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
If you don't already have a jeweler that you trust you should definitely let WF set it. Another bad bench person can screw up your new setting and even damage the stone. Send the ring back to WF and end your horror story.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Please have WF set your diamond! You don't want to have the same thing happen to you again!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
ascari_2|1360900887|3380517 said:
Contact your credit card company and dispute the charge.

This is exactly what I was going to say!!!! Don't let that jeweler tell you no. Tell them you will contact your CC company so they can do this the hard way or the easy way.

And I also think you should send the diamond back to WF to set.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that you should dispute the credit card charge and send the thing to Whiteflash.

So sorry this happened to you. So sorry that jeweler is an idiot.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
This totally sucks, Jonas :angryfire: Its completely taken the joy and excitement out of this milestone event and plunged it into anger and irritation... who needs this nonsense on the eve of a big event like a proposal??? I'm sorry you are going thru this - hope that you do follow up with WF and get the perfect customer service experience you deserve!

Maybe you could go thru BBB or Yelp with negative reviews, but not sure how you can get money back if he's refusing... I hope that it all ends well, in the long run

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results