shape
carat
color
clarity

Side stones on my setting to complement my .70-.75ct center stone ???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DLFB

Rough_Rock
*just an idea so far

if I were to have this setting:

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones/ring/item_58-2800_design.asp?module=setting

I will have a total of 23 diamonds in my ring including the center diamond. 2 of which might be surprise diamonds (but I''m still debating about it)

I''ve noticed .70-.75 can measure anywhere from 5.5 x 5.5 x 3.xx to 6 x 6 x 3.xx and I don''t want to overwhelm my center diamond but I also want the side stones to be noticed. would 2mm be good?how about 3mm?

I''m also thinking it''ll depend on how wide I want the ring itself but I just want it enclose the diamonds (just like the example above which is 2.5mm but that might be TOO narrow for me). If I can get a good estimate on the size of the diamonds on that ^ example above then I have an idea on what size I should get.

Thanks guys

denverboy

Shiny_Rock
hi, just for reference, the ring I just had made also has a 0.716c center stone . If you do a search for my username you''ll see my post w/ my final ring image and for reference, the sidestones on the "shoulders" are: 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, 1.6, 1.9, 2.0, 1.4mm (they taper up and down). so the band itself is probably around 2.2-2.4mm at the widest point, and at the bottom of the shank (thinnest point) it''s 1.9mm I think.

So you can look at my ring and decide if you think you want smaller/larger/same size stones maybe?

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I can offer my experience. The shank of my engagement ring is 2.3mm and I have .02 pointers going 3/4 around. I was told that if I used .03 pointers then the width would be 2.7mm. The size of the stones is really going to depend upon how wide you want the shank of the engagement ring to be.

ETA: Looking at that James Allen setting, given the stated width (2.5mm) the side stones are probably somewhere around .02 pointers making the width of those stones about 2.3mm. The additional width probably comes from the channel setting. You might contact JA just to get an idea of the side of the side stones in that setting. And their website also has a really nice feature where you can get hand shots of at least most of their rings. That might help you to determine how wide you really want the band to be. Trying various sizes in person also helps. :)

Also keeping in mind your statement about not wanting the side stones to "overhwelm" the center stone, I think if you stay between the .02 and .03 pointers you'd accomplish your goal.

DLFB

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the answers guys.

Ideally, I want the band to be 3 - 3.5mm max. Based on your comments and suggestions, I think 2.3-2.7s should be good. The center stone will still have a 3mm size advantage vs. the side stones.

Now, if I could find a place on where they can sell me 22 loose round side stones @ H (max) and VS2 or SI1 for cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results