shape
carat
color
clarity

SI-1 and location of inclusions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

esp102

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I know not all SI-1 stones are a like and that you should buy the diamond not the cert however in most cases local stores don''t have a large selection. Even online stores don''t have the stones in house.

Take the attached file that has an SI-1 diamond over 1.60 carats (GIA-Excellent Cut). Are there better locations for the inclusions to be located on the diamond than others that will not effect the sparkle? Or is this stone just a mess.

Thanks!

stone12468.JPG

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes a plot''s bark is louder than its bite, and this may be an example. Don''t be frightened by the way it looks. You have to see the stone under the ''scope, and with your unaided eye. You need to determine if it is eye clean, and if the inclusions are such that they would effect the diamond''s light performance...my guess is that they would not.

It''s usually SI grade-making cloud inclusions with wide distribution which can affect light performance, not crystals or feathers.

See the stone - make the decision.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Great advice, Gary.

May I add that sometimes it is better to have an SI-stone with an inclusion-plot covering the whole stone, than to have just one inclusion. The chances of you noticing the one SI-inclusion are much higher than that of seeing the spread-out one.

I just saw that today with an eye-clean SI2 coming back from AGS, where the plot of the inclusion covered basically the whole stone. Based upon the plot, I would never buy this stone.

Live long,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results