shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I upgrade my diamond earrings? Please advise.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ms_inquisitive

Rough_Rock
I am considering to upgrade a pair of round brilliant solitaire diamond earrings of .31 cts, and .317 cts respectively, both G colour and SI 1 clarity (in 6 prongs setting) to either:

1) a pendant of .45 cts, F colour, VS2 clarity (either in 3 prongs setting or 4 prongs setting) or
2) a pair of earrings of .30 cts, F colour, VS2 clarity (either in 3 prongs basket setting or 3 prongs martini setting)

Which option should I choose if I were to top up almost the same amount of money (in economic terms, say resale value next time or for further upgrade in time to come)?

Which is more classic, a solitaire diamond pendant or a pair of solitaire earrings? I do wear both pendants and earrings (that's why I can't decide!) and I want something super classic that will never go out of style.

Will having more prongs on a solitaire diamond of .30 to .45 cts make the diamond look larger or smaller?

Is it true that a pendant in 3 prongs setting will not stay in place but flip constantly?

Does a pendant in 4 prongs setting make the diamond look more square than round?

Could someone please advise? Thanks.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think, in your ears, there is enough of a difference in colour between G and F to change the stones. You could just change the settings from 6 prong to 3 prong.

I have a 3 prong pendant and it doesn''t flip. The chain that it''s on does slide so the clasp ends up at the front, but that happens to all necklaces.

Both earrings and pendants are classic. It depends on which you think you''d wear more often or enjoy more.

How many prongs is personal taste. 3-4-6 prongs can all make a diamond look bigger or smaller depending on how the prongs are finished.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2008 12:33:23 PM
Author: Addy
I don't think, in your ears, there is enough of a difference in colour between G and F to change the stones. You could just change the settings from 6 prong to 3 prong.

I have a 3 prong pendant and it doesn't flip. The chain that it's on does slide so the clasp ends up at the front, but that happens to all necklaces.

Both earrings and pendants are classic. It depends on which you think you'd wear more often or enjoy more.

How many prongs is personal taste. 3-4-6 prongs can all make a diamond look bigger or smaller depending on how the prongs are finished.
Ditto and I doubt also you will see a difference in the G and F. Bezels make stones look bigger. By the way welcome to Pricescope
35.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
I am probably no help. I would go lower in color and larger in size for the earrings
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/8/2008 5:44:10 PM
Author: MMT
I am probably no help. I would go lower in color and larger in size for the earrings
31.gif
31.gif
31.gif
Ditto. No need to upgrade color or clarity for the earrings. In fact, you can go lower in color, and keep to the ideal cut, and get earrings in a larger size.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I do think that the 4 prong vs. 3 is a matter of taste. Depending on how strong the internal cuts of the stone are (imho)it can look very round. I personally think, the more prongs, the smaller the look. Good luck choosing!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go down in color and clarity to get larger earrings unless you want to keep your earrings and add a pendant. Either earrings or pendant are classic and I am sure you''d get a great deal of enjoyment wearing them. I like the 3 stone setting on earrings but I don''t have any. My studs and pendant are both 4 prong and it does make them look square but I don''t mind it at all. Have fun shopping.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the three prong settings for earrings and pendants personally, and I think the fewer prongs on small earrings the bigger they look IMO.

ms_inquisitive

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for replying. I got a few more questions.

1) Is it true that for diamond < .50, when mounted, you can't really see the difference from F to H color?

2) Does it make a huge difference in price when you trade up a .30 to .49 Hearts & Arrows round diamond
of clarity VS2 and SI1 (in case I want to trade up again next time)?

3) Will you ever upgrade your old diamond for a better cut, carat, color, or clarity (even though you know you definitely will be getting a much lesser value of your old diamond back in return)?

Thanks.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/12/2008 10:51:41 PM
Author: ms_inquisitive
Thanks everyone for replying. I got a few more questions.

1) Is it true that for diamond < .50, when mounted, you can''t really see the difference from F to H color?

2) Does it make a huge difference in price when you trade up a .30 to .49 Hearts & Arrows round diamond

of clarity VS2 and SI1 (in case I want to trade up again next time)?

3) Will you ever trade up your old diamond for a better cut, carat, color, or clarity (even though you know you definitely will be getting a much lesser value of your old diamond back in return)?

Thanks.

1. If it''s well cut you''ll never notice a difference in earrings IMO.

2. I''m not sure what you mean...are you trading up the cut AND the clarity down? There is a premium on the nicer cuts, so it depends on what you are trading up from.

3. Yes. I would certainly trade something that I didn''t wear for something else even if I lost some money.

ms_inquisitive

Rough_Rock
Thanks Neatfreak for replying.

I would like to compare the resale or upgrade value of a VS2 and a SI1 clarity diamond (with all other specs such as H&A,cut,color, carat exactly the same).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results