shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I upgrade from .33 to .50 diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckyme

Rough_Rock
I am new here. My husband and I just celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary. He surprised me with a 3 stone diamond ring because we have three children. So I got to thinking about the engagement ring I have had on my finger for 20 years.

My engagement ring is .33 carats. We didn''t skimp on quality so it''s a nice stone. When he purchased it 20 years ago he used all the money he had - just got out of college.

What I need to know is if I were to get a new ring (I''d keep the .33 I already have) would there be much visual difference in size between my round .33 versus a round .50 considering each were about the same quality? How much bigger does the diamond have to be to really make a trade up from a .33 worth it?

I know everyone likes the biggest diamond they can get, but anything over 1 carat would be too much for me.

Thanks so much and looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Ann

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's less about the carat size and more about the diameter. I wouldn't trade up unless it was going to be at least .3mm larger (say, from a 5mm to a 5.3mm). Personally, I would wait and get something like an ideal cut .7 carat - obviously larger than half a carat, still smaller than a whole.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Ann,

I have read that the naked eye cannot really begin to discern a noticeable difference in size until you go about 20% larger. I am sure that probably differs between people, too, but that's a good "rule of thumb", I think. That means that adding about 7 points (approx 20%)to your current stone would be about 40 points, so I would think that you would definitely notice a significant difference in size if you upgrade to a half carat stone.

And I personally think there is a HUGE visual difference between a third of a carat and a half carat.

Please keep us posted. And happy anniversary!
1.gif

Lynn

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
If both stones are well cut, I'm sure you will see a difference between .33 and .5 carats.

If I were you, I'd go to a jeweler who has well cut diamonds and try some on--see for yourself what you think.

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
I am of the opinion that you can see the difference between a 0.33ct and a 0.5ct.

However, I don't think you should buy a bigger one right now because diamond prices are on the rise... and I don't think it will last forever. Experts on this forum seems to be suggesting that the rise is largely not demand driven... which means someone is hoarding the diamonds somewhere. They will have to release it sometime... but it could take a couple of years.

You should only be thinking about buying a bigger one if the vendor has some kind of trade-up plan. Then you can wear it a couple of years, and trade it in for a bigger one?

However, being a risk averse person, I'd say save up a bit more... and wait. I think in a couple of years, you'll be able to buy a substantially bigger diamond for say $500 more?

After all, nobody really NEEDS a diamond. You should only get one you're proud to wear without a doubt. Since you're asking people of this forum if 0.5ct is big enough... I perceive some doubt.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I think keving has an excellent point. Do you really want a 1/2 ct or is that what you are trying to squeeze out now? Better to wait and get what you truly want.

If you look and determine that 1/2 ct is your "ideal" size, then go for it!
1.gif

yowahking

Shiny_Rock
If you had the other one for 20 years, a 1/2 will look bigger for sure, it will also set a hair higher because of added depth. Most of my customers that go from 1/3 to half are very happy. Some that wait for 20 years want a bigger jump in size, good advise from who ever said go and look at some. Have a jeweler put one in tweezers and hold it over yours. Then decide if the $$ amount is equal to the satisfaction of size. My next suggestion is to do something nice with the 1/3. You will for sure show off the new one, it is a nice end to the story to also show the pendant or other ring that you have the original now in.

luckyme

Rough_Rock
Kevinng - Thanks for the info about prices. I am in no hurry to purchase a bigger diamond, it's just that they seem to be so expensive now and I am afraid they will continue to rise. That's why I thought maybe the time to do it is now, rather than later.

Ann

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
read.gif
Here are some stats for size and prices you may find interesting:

These are approximative weights that make diameter jumps of 1mm - definitely visible.

Weight:0.23 - Diameter:4mm
Weight:0.47 - Diameter:5mm
Weight:0.80 - Diameter:6mm
Weight:1.25 - Diameter:7mm

Now, I am not sure what you mean by "skimping quality" but let's say a good buy would be G/SI1 and a feel-good safe pair of letters on the GIA cert is F/VS1. On the aside, both spell "white and clean" to me - especially in this size range and given H&A cut.

Considering all Harts and Arrows ideal cuts, the average quotes on Pricescope value these as follows (you can definitely use some better/more relevant price stats of cousrse):

Weight:0.23 - Diameter:4mm - Price H/SI1~560 - Price F/VS1~750
Weight:0.47 - Diameter:5mm - Price H/SI1~1000 - Price F/VS1~1500
Weight:0.80 - Diameter:6mm - Price H/SI1~3000 - Price F/VS1~3800
Weight:1.25 - Diameter:7mm - Price H/SI1~6700 - Price F/VS1~9300

{Note: All these include some premium for the precise cut, of course, as mentioned. The quotes are averages of prices for existing stones within 2 points from the weight stated. It is conceivable that the average prices fit stones with one color/clarity grade up or down and the conceivable combinations.)

Why the 1mm interval? Well... it seems to me that this is a visible jump even if the stones are not side by side and one, and the size difference remains sensible for small as much as for larger diamonds alike. Half a mm may be better for smaller stones that are supposed to be used by themselves (solitaire, ot studs) but why complicate things ?

This is BTW good reminder for myself too: just in case I forget why exactly that 0.8cts is a nice sweet spot.
2.gif

luckyme

Rough_Rock
Valeria -

Thanks so much for the info. In my original post I said we did not skimp on quality for my first diamond 20 years ago! Therefore, I would still like to get a good one again.

Thanks!
Ann

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results