shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I re-size my wedding set or wait?

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I had my baby boy eight months ago and I still can't wear my wedding set, I'm so frustrated and wondering if it actually will fit again or I should go ahead and get my rings re-sized? I wore them with no issue for most of my pregnancy but then suffered extremely badly with swelling in my hands and feet for the last few weeks.

I have been wearing a stand in ring as I hated not having anything on my finger, this ring is a size 6, my wedding ring is I think roughly a size 5.25 (or K in UK sizes). Since I've lost two stone over the last few months (approx 28 pounds) the size 6 is too big but my wedding ring is still too small. I can get it on but I have to push it a bit hard and if it's a hot day or I've just woken up it's tough to get it off. My engagement ring will still only go just past my knuckle ;(

I'm still a little off my pre-pregnancy weight but not massively and wondering whether to push hard to shift the last bit of weight and then see if my rings fit or just bite the bullet and get them done now? Interestingly my feet are definitely bigger now than they were before I had my baby and the swelling has gone. My weight does generally fluctuate but this hasn't ever affected my ring size before, I have only previously noticed my rings looser when cold/wet and tighter when hot.

Just wondering if anyone had to make a similar decision or any advice?

Here are pics of my wedding ring on my finger and the stand in ring if it helps to see what the different sizes look like (I think my fingers look quite fleshy as the size 6 ring looks tight in the photo but if I shake my hand it flies up to the knuckle!)

_21869.jpg

_21870.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My rings didn't fit again until I'd lost every ounce of my baby weight (and promptly went back to not fitting the second I got pregnant again). I'd say if they're not eternities, where it would be a massive structural issue, resize them so you can enjoy them now: you can always size them down again later. Better than spending the better part of three years, like me, not being able to enjoy your bling!

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Circe! They both have diamonds in the bands but only half way round so no structural issues in sizing them. I think that's what I'm worried about, by the time I lose every last pound we may well be thinking about baby number two!! I feel so sad at not being able to wear my rings and enjoy them, so I think I'm just going to have to go ahead and get them done.

Is there any issue with getting rings sized more then once though or it is fine just to keep doing it (thinking making them bigger now then potentially making them smaller again later, so twice in total)? They are platinum if that makes a difference?

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
My initial thought is that if your hands/fingers haven't changed size in 8 months, then they likely won't, but I' don't have any personal experience with that, so I could be wrong.
It's not uncommon for hands/feet to change size during pregnancy because the body produces a hormone that loosens the joints/ligaments. When the joints/ligaments in the feet are affected, the normal stress on them (and extra baby weight) can actually cause the feet to get bigger, which can be permanent. If your rings no longer fit, it sounds like it could be the result of different things like fluid retention (swelling), extra weight/fat in the hands/fingers, or larger knuckle-areas due to hormone-related changes in joints/ligaments. Maybe you could ask your doctor about it before making any permanent changes to your rings. I'm sorry that your rings don't fit - that must be frustrating for you:(

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
I appreciate the reply momhappy, that's what I was thinking that eight months is long enough to wait before making a decision and it doesn't seem that anything is changing!

All these things that you aren't aware of until they happen to you! I only found put about the foot thing being permanent after googling it and seeing that lots of women had experienced it! I could definitely ask my doctor but would they be able to give me a definitive answer?

It is so frustrating and I feel that I've already been so patient, just desperate to wear my rings again!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just another vote to have your rings resized so you can enjoy them!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get them resized so you can enjoy them.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Junebug and marcy! I think I will get them re-sized, they have never been mega loose on me so I think even if I do lose more weight it's not necessarily going to mean another re-size (I hope!)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Agnasia|1409586155|3742869 said:
I appreciate the reply momhappy, that's what I was thinking that eight months is long enough to wait before making a decision and it doesn't seem that anything is changing!

All these things that you aren't aware of until they happen to you! I only found put about the foot thing being permanent after googling it and seeing that lots of women had experienced it! I could definitely ask my doctor but would they be able to give me a definitive answer?

It is so frustrating and I feel that I've already been so patient, just desperate to wear my rings again!

I don't know if a doctor could give you a definitive answer, but they might be able to tell if it seems to be fluid retention, extra weight/fat, etc. You know your hands the best, so do you have a feeling about what's going on? Do you feel like the sizing is related to your actual fingers or do you feel like it's related to your knuckle size? Are you retaining fluid anywhere else or could it just be that extra little bit of baby weight? Either way, I'd probably just go ahead and do the resize - it's no fun to not have the ability to wear your ring:(

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
momhappy|1409606874|3743001 said:
Agnasia|1409586155|3742869 said:

I don't know if a doctor could give you a definitive answer, but they might be able to tell if it seems to be fluid retention, extra weight/fat, etc. You know your hands the best, so do you have a feeling about what's going on? Do you feel like the sizing is related to your actual fingers or do you feel like it's related to your knuckle size? Are you retaining fluid anywhere else or could it just be that extra little bit of baby weight? Either way, I'd probably just go ahead and do the resize - it's no fun to not have the ability to wear your ring:(

I did think it was weight for a long time, but having lost two stone and not seeing a significant change in finger size makes me think my actual fingers have changed. My size 6 has got a bit looser but it's certainly not unwearable. I still have no hope at all of getting my engagement ring on and I can only get it to the same point on my finger as a few months ago.

I am confident the fluid has gone, my ankles/feet/hands now look normal, although my feet are now bigger.

Thank you for making me think this through and question it, as it has certainly help clarify things for me :))

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Thanks motownmama! Decision made, I'm getting them re-sized :))

Another question, not sure if I should start a new thread, but what do you think about adding milgrain to the set? Hard to know if I would love it more with the extra detail and risky as you can't take it off, but I do love the vintage look (my diamond is an OEC and the smaller diamonds are from my grandmother-in-law's 1920s diamond brooch).

Here's a pic of my set (on my pinky!) - to milgrain or not milgrain??!

_21903.jpg

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
hI !!

As an old MOM (of 4) I can say for myself,
my ring never fit after my first pregnancy and my feet never went back to their
original size either.

It might be different for you, but I would say resize your rings if you can.

If they ever get too loose, it's very easy to put sizing beads in :sun:

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
Wow ooo-Shiney, I have so much respect and admiration for you having four children, I find one hard (wonderful too of course)!!

Really interesting that you found both hands and feet didn't go back, I think mine might be the same as my feet definitely have changed.

I hadn't thought of sizing beads so thank you for mentioning them, good to know if the rings do get loose in the future.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Agnasia|1409661391|3743286 said:
Thanks motownmama! Decision made, I'm getting them re-sized :))

Another question, not sure if I should start a new thread, but what do you think about adding milgrain to the set? Hard to know if I would love it more with the extra detail and risky as you can't take it off, but I do love the vintage look (my diamond is an OEC and the smaller diamonds are from my grandmother-in-law's 1920s diamond brooch).

Here's a pic of my set (on my pinky!) - to milgrain or not milgrain??!

Yes! Milgrain would look lovely on your set - it adds a nice texture/visual interest.

Agnasia

Shiny_Rock
I've spoken to my jeweller and I'm dropping off the rings next week. Excited to think that I could be wearing my rings again in a couple of weeks!! :appl:

Thanks for the positive vote on milgrain momhappy! I do like details, so as you said the texture/visual interest would be nice.

Monnyjay

Brilliant_Rock
ooo~Shiney!|1409661635|3743288 said:
hI !!

As an old MOM (of 4) I can say for myself,
my ring never fit after my first pregnancy and my feet never went back to their
original size either.

It might be different for you, but I would say resize your rings if you can.

If they ever get too loose, it's very easy to put sizing beads in :sun:

I agree with Shiney, my fingers and feet never went back to their original size after my second child, I went up at least a half a size.
Maybe give it a little bit longer and see what happens. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results