shape
carat
color
clarity

Should I pass on a diamond because of fluorescence?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fletch

Rough_Rock
I''m trying to choose between two diamonds, both of which are D, VS1, Ex/Ex, Ideal Cut. The difference is that one is 1.12 ct with no fluorescence and the other is 1.20 ct with medium blue fluorescence. I would rather have the large one; however, I am concerned about the effect of the medium blue fluorescence. I''ve been told that you can only tell the difference under a black light and that in any normal lighting, there is no difference. Is that the case? Should I pass on the larger diamond becuase of the fluorescence?

Any advice is appreciated.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
No worries about blue fluor at all. Medium blue is fine......the only time you need to worry if it makes the stone appear oily/milky, and that''s not probably with medium fluor. That typically happens with VERY strong blue, and even then, not all the time. I own a very strong blue stone that''s clear as can be.

I''d go for the larger one, too!
1.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Can you look at them? If not, can you go to a local jeweler and look at stones with and without fluor in different lighting conditions (natural, fluorescent, etc)? You should, cause this will give you the answer you''re looking for. At med blue, the stone won''t have the notorious and rare "oily" look that gives fluor its bad rap, it has no effect on the stone''s durability, it probably lowers the cost at D color (meaning you can get the larger one in budget), and you might find you have a preference either for or against fluor. My stone has some blue fluor, and I love it! It''s purply-blue in bright sunlight and under dark lights.

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
As long as the stone is not negatively affected (i.e. appears milky etc.) then just make sure the price reflects the fluorescence. Usually stones in the colorless range (D-F) with fluorescence are slightly discounted.

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
I should add that I owned a 1.35 E RB with medium blue fluorescence and absolutely loved it!! I loved the color it took on in strong direct sunlight, and its glow under black lights was cool IMO!
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My stone has medium blue and is 2.36 carats and I love it. No worries unless it makes the stone look milky which it doesn''t in my stone. Also my new asscher has strong blue and the asscher couldn''t be prettier.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
There are many threads on this topic if you do a search. People have been fearing the fluorescence for a while. I have medium blue fluor in my I color cushion and I love it. I will actually always look for it in the future!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/29/2005 6:50:41 PM
Author:Fletch

I''ve been told that you can only tell the difference under a black light and that in any normal lighting, there is no difference. Is that the case?

It would be so for me... at least I have not found the exception yet (which is probably not saying much). Perhaps a true hater of fluorescence might pick some sort of ''difference'' with the ultraviolet light on even if some other source of light is present or in strong sunlight. I am not sure what that is. It takes literary skill to describe something that subtle (say, a bit more blue in the dispersion or fire given away by the stone).
At worst, this one would make D''s without fluorescence look less (cold) white!
11.gif

Should I pass on the larger diamond becuase of the fluorescence?

Medium fluorescence ? It may be that you will not see it at all.
2.gif

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
It''s extremely rare for Medium Blue fluorescence to be noticeable in normal light- indoor or outdoor-
Generally, the fluorecsence in stones GIA rates Medium Blue can only be seen under a UV lamp in a dark room.
Go for size!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would love a nice J with Med Blue..yum! We saw a D with med blue at WF and we both picked it out as having some fluor, it had a bit of a different ''glow'' to it, it was pretty cool.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
faint to medium fluorescence is just another way of saying discount--its completely meaningless and misunderstood. a mega NY diamond dealer told me that jewelers buy their wives G stones with med blue fluorescence--b/c they are best deal around --his wife had a 24 carat EC!

i mean really sometimes I wonder why there is nt a premium for it.............uh makes a stone appear whiter! my stone is D color with moderate blue.........i dont see a thing under ANY lighting conditions .............

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think you have anything to be concerned about as far as the effect of medium blue fluorescence. My future e-ring stone is an E with medium blue fluorescence. I love it! It doesn''t appear oily or milky in any lighting condition (believe me, I''ve checked them all
2.gif
). As aljdewey stated, that only occurs in a small percentage of stones with strong blue fluorescence (in this thread: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fluorescence-opinions.33462/=, Rich Sherwood, an independent appraiser that frequently posts here states that the GIA has estimated that less than 3% of very strong blue fluorescent diamonds exhibit the negative characteristic of haziness). The only thing that I have noticed in my diamond is a VERY slight periwinkle hue in direct sunlight. I like it, so actually I consider fluorescence to be a positive thing! If it''s possible, look at the stones side by side and see if you can see a difference between the one with the medium blue fluorescence, and the one without it (are these stones at a B&M or online?). At any rate, viewing them together, one of them is bound to speak to you! If you are unable to view them side by side, I would lean more towards the larger one with the fluorescence...Do you know the rest of the specs on these diamonds (crown angle, pavilion angle, table, depth)? If you are not able to compare both of these stones in person, there are many here that can help steer you in the right direction based on specs (if you would like)!

mrsstone

Rough_Rock
I have 24 years in the diamond business. I love blue fluorescence, I think of it this way. I know I will never be able to afford a natural blue diamond @ $100,000 to $150,000 or more per carat. This way in sunlight I can have a natural blue diamond for a whole lot less money. I will always buy a diamond with fluorescence over a diamond without Merle Stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results