shape
carat
color
clarity

should i consider this Princess of Hearts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sera

Ideal_Rock
I would appreciate some opinions on a diamond I am considering... I''m not sure how (or where) that tool is to put in the info and get an idea if it shouldn''t be considered... but even if I knew how, would it even work on this type of cut?

Anyway, here''s the info...

Shape: Princess of Hearts
Carat Weight: 0.81ct
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Optical Symmetry: Superior
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Fluorescence: None
Width: 5.30mm
Length: 5.30mm
Depth: 3.78mm
Table Percentage: 56.50%
Depth Percentage: 71.40%
Crown ∠: 33.10°
Crown Depth: 14.50%
Pavilion ∠: 40.70°
Pavilion Depth: 52.90%

...consider it or not?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s a very nice, but new cut- not a lot of us know much about it. It come set althought I personally would have them slim those thick prongs down... the price is fine, IMO. I PERSONALLY, love cut cornered brilliant cuts, and at 5.3 the spread is okay.

If it were eyeclean, I would probably get this H SI2 and save the 600 bucks and just pick a setting I liked myself. Don''t lose any visible spread. And I''d be fine with an H.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3473/

sera

Ideal_Rock
Well, yeah... having it set already would solve a problem we have... my FF has up to about $5000 available now, another $3000 will be available in January. I am hoping they will post more pics because those 2 of the ring just look kinda dead. So anyway, I either get a diamond now with a temp setting (I don't want more money going towards a setting that will be tossed out in a couple months) and get my setting in January, OR get a setting now with a cz in it which I don't really want to do and besides if I go custom I would need the diamond first wouldn't I? OR just wait for the diamond and the setting until January.

I agree, I'm not crazy about those prongs at all. I want something very delicate looking though structurally strong. I love the double claw prong like Leon does and think it would look stunning with those clipped corners. But, being a temp. setting I could live with it for 4 months as long as I preface any viewing of the ring with, "This is a t e m p o r a r y setting."
41.gif

Now, I can NOT find a setting that is THE setting... I am torn... I love Leon Mege's 3-sided pave rings which would take a large chunk of the budget and I'm fine with that since the diamond can be upgraded later and the wedding band would have to come later. The setting style and quality is extremely important to me so I am willing to sacrifice on diamond size.

I also love the Ritani except it has no side diamonds which I really have my heart set on. Robbins Bro's has the Ritani and could do a custom pave head for $800 except I worry about their craftmanship. I loved the single shared prong with 4 point diamonds... seemed a perfect size for me.

Or I go custom with a vendor here, though I don't know which one I would go with.

The H, IDK... I would have to see it. I saw H stones that looked slightly warm to me. I could live with it, but would be wishing they were a G. But, perhaps a better cut H stone than what I have seen would be perfectly fine to me.

UGH! I feel like I will never decide
14.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. So you like blingy settings. And are fine with a temp setting. (If you go for the G I would DEFINITELY ask them to fix those prongs. They can you know... probably won''t charge you for it either).

Can you have them sent to an appraiser near you both of them and pick one? You''ll get to see the G set, and the H unset.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You have 5K available now?

Okay. That changes things.

THIS one if eye clean would DEFINITELY be my choice. I''d have them shave the prongs down on this one, but I like the overall look of it better. It''s also almost a carat. I''d get the biggest stone I could right now. This one''s regular price is $5,500. But bank wire it woud probably be right at budget and it''s set. Plus it''s bigger. And it''s an F. Win Win if eye clean.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/cart.php

sera

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I did look at the F and it is so tempting!... the ONLY problem is that I wanted to keep it closer to $4000 since all the settings I like are $3000+
14.gif
The only one I found under that was the Ritani ($2200) single shared prong at RB's and was not sold on it cuz there was no bling on the side (I know that's a minor detail, but I'm totally obsessed with it
30.gif
). I know there are some 3-side pave options through the vendors here, I just don't know which vendor I would choose to get the details and craftmanship I want.
33.gif
I also know I am in the minority here willing to spend basically half my budget on the setting, but I will upgrade the diamond later- not so sure about the setting.

ETA: and I would have to purchase a setting or not wear it until Jan.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2007 4:45:18 PM
Author: Gypsy
Okay. So you like blingy settings. And are fine with a temp setting. (If you go for the G I would DEFINITELY ask them to fix those prongs. They can you know... probably won''t charge you for it either).

Can you have them sent to an appraiser near you both of them and pick one? You''ll get to see the G set, and the H unset.
I''ll ask my FF about it this evening. He saw GOG''s video on the PoH and thought the cut was really beautiful... he said, "How come I don''t see diamonds like that everyday with all those colors?" I said, "EXACTLY! You don''t! That''s FIRE, baby!"
9.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2007 5:39:16 PM
Author: sera
Yes, I did look at the F and it is so tempting!... the ONLY problem is that I wanted to keep it closer to $4000 since all the settings I like are $3000+
14.gif
The only one I found under that was the Ritani ($2200) single shared prong at RB''s and was not sold on it cuz there was no bling on the side (I know that''s a minor detail, but I''m totally obsessed with it
30.gif
). I know there are some 3-side pave options through the vendors here, I just don''t know which vendor I would choose to get the details and craftmanship I want.
33.gif
I also know I am in the minority here willing to spend basically half my budget on the setting, but I will upgrade the diamond later- not so sure about the setting.

Hi! Question. If you know you''re going to upgrade the diamond, why would you spend so much on a setting now? I''m just thinking, an upgraded diamond won''t fit in it, then what?

Unless by upgrade, you just mean color and/or clarity.....

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2007 5:48:00 PM
Author: Ellen
Date: 9/1/2007 5:39:16 PM

14.gif
The only one I found under that was the Ritani ($2200) single shared prong at RB''s and was not sold on it cuz there was no bling on the side (I know that''s a minor detail, but I''m totally obsessed with it
30.gif
). I know there are some 3-side pave options through the vendors here, I just don''t know which vendor I would choose to get the details and craftmanship I want.
33.gif

Hi! Question. If you know you''re going to upgrade the diamond, why would you spend so much on a setting now? I''m just thinking, an upgraded diamond won''t fit in it, then what?

Unless by upgrade, you just mean color and/or clarity.....
I thought the prongs/head could be re-done to accommodate a slightly larger stone?
33.gif
Maybe I''m going to have to rethink things.
33.gif
*sigh* Just when I think I have things figured out... something comes along to change my plans... oy... I''m giving myself a headache.

I just realized that F is set as well.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2007 5:53:46 PM
I thought the prongs/head could be re-done to accommodate a slightly larger stone?
33.gif
33.gif
*sigh* Just when I think I have things figured out... something comes along to change my plans... oy... I''m giving myself a headache.

Well, some heads can, some can''t. Just be sure to ask. But I''m thinking that really expensive ones would not, but I could definitely be wrong!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2007 6:00:18 PM
Date: 9/1/2007 5:53:46 PM

33.gif
33.gif

Well, some heads can, some can''t. Just be sure to ask. But I''m thinking that really expensive ones would not, but I could definitely be wrong!
OK... thanks for the info and I will be sure to ask (when I finally decide on a setting!).

I thought picking out a diamond and a setting would be easy!
14.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Where is the ring picture that is being referred to?????
33.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2007 6:23:41 PM
Author: isaku5
33.gif
PoH .81 G SI1 <--- that's the one, though the F Gypsy mentioned keeps getting more and more tempting!

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2007 6:47:51 PM

33.gif
PoH .81 G SI1 <--- that''s the one, though the F Gypsy mentioned keeps getting more and more tempting!
Thanks, sera. That looks lovely, but I''m with the others who didn''t care for the huge prongs. The only reason I can think of for them being so large is to cover the entire corner(s)????

I have a "regular" princess which I love, but the new HoF princesses definitely have much more fire and life.
36.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2007 7:16:21 PM
Date: 9/1/2007 6:47:51 PM

33.gif

PoH .81 G SI1 <--- that''s the one, though the F Gypsy mentioned keeps getting more and more tempting!
Thanks, sera. That looks lovely, but I''m with the others who didn''t care for the huge prongs. The only reason I can think of for them being so large is to cover the entire corner(s)????

I have a ''regular'' princess which I love, but the new HoF princesses definitely have much more fire and life.
36.gif
Yeah, I''m not sure why. I love more delicate-looking-Leon-Mege-ish prongs.
30.gif
But, putting up with them for 4 months would be ok (unless like Gypsy mentioned, they might be able to thin them down for free).

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. Gonna be frank.

If your going to get a three side pave Leon or anything of the sort, it will be unlikely that a simple head swap will be possible if you upgrade in size. I''d really get the largest diamond you can afford now, in a temporary setting. Wear it, with the temp setting for 6 months. Then see how you feel about the size of the diamond, and how soon you think a diamond size upgrade is going to be needed. Then at that point you can decide where to spend the rest of the $$ you will have. On a larger stone, in another temp, with a new setting another while off. Or on a nice setting that you love, and you never know by that time what new settings the designers will have out there.

I sincerely would go with the F. And have them slim those prongs down too. Or flatten them so that they emphasize the corners instead of totally taking them away.
35.gif

I think you should spend the next four months researching and trying on rings. One of the few good things I could think about buying it right now would be to get a feel for the size you want. But I can see alot of downsides to buying half of it now, that really outweighs any positives I can think of.

So I say, figure out what size diamond you absolutely demand and what minimum stats you demand. See what its going to cost, which it looks like you have started to think about but might be underevaluating the importance of at the moment. Then you have your partially theoretical setting budget. Find some good settings and find out what happens if you upgrade later down the line, as you are doing. Then get those prices

In order to get the setting you really want and the ct weight you realy want, you have four months do some extra work find the best deals and figure out exactly what can be sacrificed without sacrificing your happiness, and if it comes down to it you can work yourself and help pay for it yourself! (or to convince your fh to increase the budget a little if it looks like you need it:) and you still have those months to keep studying and trying on different rings so you can make the best most informaed purchase possible. Much better method in my mind than rushing and buying half of it now, wasting money on a temp setting for four months so that at the end of the 4 months you have 3,000 dollars and want a bigger diamond with a really expensive setting. Looks to me like a formula for failure given you will no doubt keep studyingin that time and with all that studying may find yourself less than satisfied with your purchase? whereas doing research first, trying rings on and saving extra money could only help out eh? To me its just a matter of if you want your one doughnut now or the 15 with coffee and milk if you weight a couple of hours.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/1/2007 9:45:25 PM
Author: Gypsy
Okay. Gonna be frank.

If your going to get a three side pave Leon or anything of the sort, it will be unlikely that a simple head swap will be possible if you upgrade in size. I''d really get the largest diamond you can afford now, in a temporary setting. Wear it, with the temp setting for 6 months. Then see how you feel about the size of the diamond, and how soon you think a diamond size upgrade is going to be needed. Then at that point you can decide where to spend the rest of the $$ you will have. On a larger stone, in another temp, with a new setting another while off. Or on a nice setting that you love, and you never know by that time what new settings the designers will have out there.

I sincerely would go with the F. And have them slim those prongs down too. Or flatten them so that they emphasize the corners instead of totally taking them away.
35.gif
The H faced up at 5.3; I tried on two stones that faced up at 5.2 and I was fine with that (though in the Asscher it was a bit too small to see the pattern and would rather wait for when a larger stone is an option). I think I would be fine with the .81c and wouldn''t feel the urge to get an upgrade very soon. The .99c I would be very happy with and may not plan on an upgrade. GOG didn''t set these stones, they came already set so they are "free." The price given is the price of the diamond with or without the setting.

How much difference in size do you think I would notice between a .81c 5.3mm and a .99c 5.6mm? A difference worth about $1800??? (can''t recall the exact prices off-hand)

FF is fine with either one... the F would really put some pressure on me to find a setting I like.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/2/2007 12:06:56 AM
Author: WorkingHardforSmallRewards
I think you should spend the next four months researching and trying on rings. One of the few good things I could think about buying it right now would be to get a feel for the size you want.&#12288;But I can see alot of downsides to buying half of it now, that really outweighs any positives I can think of.

So I say, figure out what size diamond you absolutely demand and what minimum stats you demand. See what its going to cost, which it looks like you have started to think about but might be underevaluating the importance of at the moment. Then you have your partially theoretical setting budget. Find some good settings and find out what happens if you upgrade later down the line, as you are doing. Then get those prices

In order to get the setting you really want and the ct weight you realy want, you have four months do some extra work find the best deals and figure out exactly what can be sacrificed without sacrificing your happiness, and if it comes down to it you can work yourself and help pay for it yourself! (or to convince your fh to increase the budget a little if it looks like you need it:) and you still have those months to keep studying and trying on different rings so you can make the best most informaed purchase possible. Much better method in my mind than rushing and buying half of it now, wasting money on a temp setting for four months so that at the end of the 4 months you have 3,000 dollars and want a bigger diamond with a really expensive setting. Looks to me like a formula for failure given you will no doubt keep studyingin that time and with all that studying may find yourself less than satisfied with your purchase? whereas doing research first, trying rings on and saving extra money could only help out eh? To me its just a matter of if you want your one doughnut now or the 15 with coffee and milk if you weight a couple of hours.
I have tried on a LOT of rings and have learned a lot here... the 2 setting styles I am deciding upon are a micropave like Leon Mege''s and a single shared prong (Ritani). I also need to keep in mind what type of wedding band I plan on having (this will be purchased later).

If I wait to buy the setting and diamond in January, I still have the same budget... nothing will really change in that way- we have some other expenses so extra money will go towards the other things and the ring budget is pretty much set. And my FF didn''t seem to take to the idea of having me contribute to the ring budget even though I wouldn''t mind doing it. The price of both diamonds are the same whether or not I want the setting with it so there wouldn''t be an additional cost on top of the diamond to get a setting.

I am totally fine with a .81c, though it would be nice to have a .99c. I''ve been trying to work out different setting options and have given up on some of what I had wanted which is fine. SO... I need to decide for sure, shared prong or micropave. THEN... which vendor can I get the style and quality I want and for what price. IF I could do this for what would remain after buying the .99 F (or one similar if I wait to long), then I''ll do that. If not, then I will go with the .81 G (or one similar). My concern is that say I have $2500 for a setting... could I find something similar to a micropave Leon solitaire... I''ve been going through the sites of the most popular vendors over and over and over and I''m just not sure.

I certainly do not want to rush and be unhappy with my decision.. especially because my FF would feel bad. And I am putting aside the sense of urgency I feel to purchase either of these two because if I don''t get one of these, there will be others. (But it''s hard not to get one nooooooooowwwwww
25.gif
)

sera

Ideal_Rock
Well, the Gypsy bug in my ear talked me into it (didn''t need much convincing, it was just a lil'' bug), and my FF agreed to up the budget to get the .99 F!
31.gif

That stone is now set aside for meeeeee and it is eyeclean. Jonathan said, "You''ll see flying saucers land in your backyard before you see an inclusion."
36.gif

It does have the setting, so that really helps us out... I won''t have to be pressured to rush and find a setting or pay for a temporary one. I will probably go with a Leon Mege or a Leon-Mege_like ring.

Because it''s set aside, I can''t access my bookmarked info and I didn''t write it down.
41.gif
All I remember is:

Carat Weight: 0.99ct
Color: F
Clarity: SI2 ("looks like an SI1")
Width and Height: 5.6mm
Optical Symmetry: Superior (?)
Polish: Ideal (?)
Symmetry: Excellent (?)

Jonathan says these stones ROCK and they have AWESOME light performance just like in the video!
30.gif
Thanks, Gyspy, for bringing this stone to my attention!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
sera, congrats! And please post pics when you get it.
emphoto.gif

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2007 2:54:47 PM
emphoto.gif
Thanks! I will! I''m not sure when that will be... it might not be until my birthday in Nov.
32.gif
It''s gonna killlllllll me to wait to have it on my finger! But when I get that thing in my hands, I will take a bunch of pics!
36.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2007 3:03:31 PM

Date: 9/8/2007 2:54:47 PM
emphoto.gif
Thanks! I will! I''m not sure when that will be... it might not be until my birthday in Nov.
32.gif
It''s gonna killlllllll me to wait to have it on my finger! But when I get that thing in my hands, I will take a bunch of pics!
36.gif
6.gif

Well now, that''s not right! lol

I suppose it''s worth waiting for though.
2.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/8/2007 2:32:09 PM
Well, the Gypsy bug in my ear talked me into it (didn''t need much convincing, it was just a lil'' bug), and my FF agreed to up the budget to get the .99 F!
31.gif

That stone is now set aside for meeeeee and it is eyeclean. Jonathan said, ''You''ll see flying saucers land in your backyard before you see an inclusion.''
36.gif

It does have the setting, so that really helps us out... I won''t have to be pressured to rush and find a setting or pay for a temporary one. I will probably go with a Leon Mege or a Leon-Mege_like ring.

Because it''s set aside, I can''t access my bookmarked info and I didn''t write it down.
41.gif
All I remember is:

Clarity: SI2 (''looks like an SI1'')
Width and Height: 5.6mm
Optical Symmetry: Superior (?)
Polish: Ideal (?)
Symmetry: Excellent (?)

Jonathan says these stones ROCK and they have AWESOME light performance just like in the video!
30.gif
Thanks, Gyspy, for bringing this stone to my attention!
OH I JUST SAW THIS!!! SO HAPPY! I REALLY think you picked the perfect stone. I LOVE that stone. Can''t WAIT for pics.

ANd honey, you are more than welcome. I''m just happy I was able to help you.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you ask them if they could do something about those prongs BTW?

sera

Ideal_Rock
Well, I have to call back on Monday and will ask about that and the specs. I''m kinda freaking out today cuz I thought someone else bought the stone- it wasn''t in the cart or anything AND I freaking because I''m leaving in about 20 min. to interpret at a meeting with Deaf-Blind clients and I haven''t done that before
32.gif
So... when I talked to Jonathan earlier today, I forgot to ask a lot of things.
41.gif
If they can''t be done for free or cheap, then I won''t worry about it tooooo much- it will only be for a few months anyway.

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Don''t worry, Sera, Jonathan will make the whole ring perfect; you can count on it!!!
36.gif

Congratulations!!!!!
35.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let us know what he says, but I know he will do his best to make sure you are happy with the ring.
2.gif
He''s a fabulous guy!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that is wonderful! I just saw the video and think the PoH is gorgeous! I wouldn''t worry a minute about those prongs. They are protecting your corners and the setting is temporary anyway.

sera

Ideal_Rock
OK, Jonathan sent me my info:

Clarity: SI2
Optical Symmetry: Superior
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: None
Width: 5.63mm
Length: 5.62mm
Depth: 4.06mm
Table Percentage: 57.00%
Depth Percentage: 72.30%
Crown ∠: 34.90°
Crown Depth: 15.00%
Pavilion ∠: 40.80°
Pavilion Depth: 54.60%

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results