shape
carat
color
clarity

Shopping trip to Chicago this weekend...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wisconsin shopper

Rough_Rock
OK, I''m in the Madison, WI area and am planning to head down to Chicago this weekend to look for an engagement ring. Jared is about as "upscale" as we get around here:)

I''m planning to go to Tiffany, Whitehall, East Queen, CD Peacock and Bailey, Banks and Biddle. These are all in the suburb of Oakbrook. I had planned to go to Diamend (spelling? - Issac has gotten a lot of good reviews on this site) but they are not open this weekend and so now I don''t know if I should even bother going to the downtown diamond area.

What I''m looking for:

white gold solitarie band "Traditional"
1-1.1 CT
F-G Color
VS1 or better
Polish Symmetry: VG/VG or better

Thats about as technical as I was thinking about getting - I know there are a lot more measurements you can make on a diamond.

Budget is about $8500 for diamond and setting. I would not feel comfortable making a purchase like this online.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other stores I should try? Should I stay away from any of the ones on my list? Is there anyplace in the diamond district comparable to Diamend that I should try?

Thanks in advance

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t recall the names, but I think there are one or two "fine" jewelers in Kenosha Wisc - depending on how you come down. Ventura Fine Jewelers? Maybe one other name too.

Skip Tiffany unless you want to pay 50-100% more. CD peacock is nice and a bit less markup than Tiffany''s in my opinion. Dimend Scassi is the way to go if you want local, maybe you should take a Friday off?

The diamond district in downtown can be intimidating. Too bad about your concerns about buying on the net. I live outside of Chicago and felt better and safer buying from Whiteflash online.

jellybean

Brilliant_Rock
If you''re going to be in the Oakbrook area, I would stop by Merry Richards Jewelers on 22nd Street, just west of Oakbrook Mall. Their website can give you their address and phone number: www.merryrichards.com. I know of a couple of people that have gotten e-rings there that were very happy with their service. I would give them a call and see what they have in stock so they could get a few more diamonds for you to look at since you''re coming from so far away. I''ve been in there several times myself and almost bought a 3 stone ring from them. Lots of settings too.

I personally would stay away from Bailey, Banks and Biddle. You can get ideas from them but they are overpriced and I found the service poor. I got my diamond wedding band there and wish I had not.

Whitehall is a "mall" jeweler. My aunt has always gotten good service from them, however, you will still pay more than other b&m stores.

I don''t know of anyone that has bought an e-ring from CD Peacock. I have been there to browse. They have dvatche settings if you want to see what one looks like in person.

Can you tell I live nearby?
2.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I had really good luck at Goldin''s on Michigan Ave. Worked with Randy and he was fantastic. But again, they won''t be open on the weekend.

kiwifuz

Rough_Rock
We have a friend that bought his wife''s ring from dimend scassi and speaks very highly of the whole experience.

We were actually just at CD Peacock in Oakbrook this weekend. I love the service I get there. but they do have a mark-up I''m sure.

As for price I have no clue, sorry.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the others. I would definatley stay away from Bailey, Banks and Biddle. I went to just try on some Tacori styles but found the service bad and the prices worse!
29.gif

To just browse and try on I think it''s fine.

You''ll have plenty of "mall jewlers" in the Oak Brook Mall.

There''s is always Jewelers Row on Wabash. Which you can find many threads about here on PS.

I don''t know if you are staying exclusively to the Oak Brook area but I like Hoffman Jewelers in Highland Park (they carry Michael B settings and many other beautiful rings)

R. C. Wahl Jewelers in Des Plaines is also good.

I''ve heard good things about Dimend S. Here''s their website.

Good Luck!
1.gif
Let us know how it goes!

cvk

Rough_Rock
I believe you were referring to Isaac at Dimend Scaasi in Chicago. I would totally vouch for him. I recently purchased an engagement ring from him. Great diamond, beautiful setting and his prices are reasonable (probably as good as one can do without buying on the internet). Isaac is a great guy, he made the process fun and comfortable. If you plan on visiting Wabash St., I would certainly make a point of seeing him.

He does have a website: www.dimendscaasi.com

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I second what someone else noted about Whitehall, you have some other great recommended jewelers to visit, steer clear of the ''maul'' jewelers!

NyssaLynne

Shiny_Rock
Hey now! I really like Jareds. They have some nice designs.
1.gif

bopitaddict

Shiny_Rock
i bought my diamond online and went to james and sons for my setting. i had a pleasant experience with them and they set my diamond with no questions asked.

lostdog

Shiny_Rock
(Okay, I know that your trip was last weekend, but...)

Assuming you are not worried about price, you might also look at Rasmussen's in Racine. They have a number of branded ideals, and fancy rings, and that sort of thing. They are also very nice, helpful, etc., and open at night.

Most of the ones you mentioned will be decent in terms of selection, as far as the rings. CD Peacock probably better than the others. BBB's attitude seemed to outstrip their offerings, felt pretentious more than impressive. Might as well go to Tiffanys where at least they usually seem nice. Whitehall won't seem much different to you than Jared. None of these seem like great shakes for the stones compared to PS options.

If those are the sort of thing you are looking at, there are local two places that advertise constantly about the diamonds they stock. Jewelry Exchange (I think) is one. Fey & Company is the other (they are harder to find, (though just turn on the radio and it seems like they are running ads all the time) and don't get them confused with Kay or Fay Cullen or other similar names.). I have never been to either of them, but they do tout a larger selection. They also have to pay for that advertising somehow, but the suggestion is that they buy carefully though in enough volume to stand out from the run of the mill retailers.

Dimend Scassi is very good on service, nice personally. Less of a dance around pricing and selection options there might have convinced me, but everything looked good and it would be worth a visit.

I'd still say give PS options a very close look.......Really. Better, or more, or both, for less. Ask anybody here about the PS vendors and see if online doesn't seem like a good option.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results