shape
carat
color
clarity

Shipping from US to Canada tax question

Cachette

Brilliant_Rock
If I (from Ontario) were to buy a piece of jewelry from a private seller in the US, do I have to pay the HST (Ontario sales tax) on this item at customs?

Also, how much duty would I pay? What is it calculated on? I'm trying to figure out what the total cost of an item I am interested in obtaining just can't figure it out. :nono:

Thank you!

Cachette :))

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Cachette, all you pay is the HST of 13% - there is no duty any more.

I'm in Ontario as well (Eastern) and have never been charged duty.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
do tell... what is this little trinket you are intrigued with??? "Enquiring minds want to know" :bigsmile:

purplesapphire

Rough_Rock
Hi, sorry to interrupt this thread, but I am from Toronto and planning to get my engagement ring from Engagement Rings Direct. Are you saying that if I ship it to Canada, I will only have to pay HST? Can someone please link me to where this information is -- I can't seem to find it.

emcee

Rough_Rock
I would love to get more details about this too!

Also, what if I get a loose stone shipped from USA to Canada. And then I send the stone back to the US for setting, after which the complete ring is sent back to me in Canada?

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not going to link the documents on the customs website because frankly I don't want to find them again.

But I have imported about 30 diamonds or rings from the US to Canada over the years.

You ONLY pay HST or GST/PST, whichever tax is active where you live. Make sure the vendor indicates on the packaging that the item is US made. If they are a jeweler by trade then they might also need to include a formal document stating the jewelery or ring is US made. They should know the form.

No duties. Period.

You can call Canada customs to confirm.

I recommend shipping via FedEx because they have people who specialize in clearing things through customs.

If you return the ring for a refund there is a form you complete to get your import taxes refunded too. If you send the diamond south for a setting, then you mark the package "return and repair", and keep your documents indicating you shipped a diamond south. On its return, the jeweler will include a commercial invoice for the amount of the setting and you should only pay taxes on the cost of the setting NOT the diamond. You will likely need to provide to the customs broker proof that you shipped the diamond south -- your commercial invoice or Fed|Ex shipping label should be enough. If you do this either work with a company who has done this before and knows how to complete the paper work, or be sure to work with FedEx where you can speak to the broker who will clear your ring through customs -- you can dispute if they incorrectly want to charge you too much. But its easier to work with an experienced vendor. Or cross the border to pick it up and bring it through customs yourself with all your documentation.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to bring up an old thread but if I'm shipping a piece of jewelry to a friend as a gift do they have to pay the tax? Or no because I will mark it as gift? Also what is the most economical but still safe way to ship jewelry to Canada?

Thanks!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Gift exemption only works up to a certain dollar amount - I can't remember what it is but it was under $100 (could be $50). However, customs may let it go and not charge which happened to me a few times. Other than that it is just HST and brokeage fees (if going through Fedex or UPS). I would not ship by UPS as they rob you on brokeage fees.

Alternatively, you can ship to a mail box in Niagara Falls and get them to drive over and pick it up. They can declare it across the border.

phtp

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know the shipping time from US to Canada with FedEx Priority International and does FedEx charge a brokerage fee on top of taxes?

Sorry to dig up an older thread but, I can't seem to find the answer for the brokage.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results