shape
carat
color
clarity

Shipping charge from Whiteflash

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arikawa

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

After shopping for a nice asscher diamond, I have found a nice stone from WF. Since they didn''t have the stone that was listed on their site, they found a different stone with similar spec/ price range. I asked them to send me a photo and Ideal scope of the stone. They don''t have that stone in hand yet so they have to have it shipped to them to take a photos. They mentioned a $40 shipping charge. Is it normal to get charged for the shipping of the stone I''m not even sure if I like it or not?

nicknomo

Shiny_Rock
Well, a lot of places will not charge for shipping there, and let you pay for shipping back. I got free overnight with bluenile. It depends on the vendor.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Nicknomo,

I believe Arikawa is referring to a shiiping charge to have the stone sent from the wholesaler in presumably New York to Texas and perhaps back to New York. I don't think this refers to shipping directly to the customer.

I have heard of this happening and whether or not it is the norm depends upon the situation. You can imagine that it could very expensive for a dealer to have mutiple stones shipped back and forth while a customer decides. If you look at 4 and buy none, that's $160 out of their pocket. Now some would argue that it should be a cost of doing business. I think if you're reasonable, most vendors will work with you. I'm sure if you bought the stone WF would waive the shipping fee (OK I strongly believe).

It's a balancing act to control costs and still provide customer service.

Personally I don't ask a vendor to call in a stone unless there is a very good chance I will buy it. Usually I will buy it unless it is not as expected, inclusions not clean enough or not as good as numbers would indicate. Another option is to deal with a NY based vendor such as Mark at Engagement Rings Direct who can walk across the street and pick it up with no shipping. If your comfortable dealing with a vendor and both are reasonable, it shouldn't be an issue though.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the price range most people are looking to spend on important diamonds, a $40 cost for their chosen expert vendor to ship in, and possibly return, examine and photograph the item seems very reasonable. There is no money being made at the $40 range...for all of this.

Very narrow profit margins charged by Internet vendors make it necessary to add on extra expenses to the bottom line. In a place htat charged you 10% to 100% more, many of them could readily absorb the added expense of providing unedning full service, but with price cutting sellers, you have to pay the unusual charges of doing something exactly the way YOU want it done..... It all sounds very fair.

I''d bet that a 10% higher selling price would more than cover a $40 extra cost, but would you really prefer that cost to be included for 10% more? Some would and some wouldn''t. This is a personal choice we make all the time. DO you like a full service restaurant at the full price, or do you prefer to go to a cafeteria where every pat of butter costs an additional amount at the check out counter?

solange

Brilliant_Rock
I believe Whiteflash gives you one free shipping. When I bought my ring from them I was told that I would have to pay $40 to bring the ring in. It is well worth it. Before the stone was shipped to them, Lesley had a long conversation with the dealer. A dealer is likely to be more honest if he knows that the vendor is going to see the ring before they send it out rather than having it drop shipped.

I was told that if, for some reason, the stone was not up to their standards, they would not send it and I would not be charged. When the stone arrived, Brian, the cutter, had a long conversation with me about this particular stone. As it happens, it was below my budget and I told him that I would pay more if need be to get a better stone. Lesley had been looking for some time for a stone for me and Brian said this was unusual to find a stone that is over 4 carats and is a perfectly eye clean(from all angles) SI 2 and an Ideal cut. He said I could spend several thousand dollars more and not get a better looking stone.

I had the ring sent to an appraiser where I could see it and then Whiteflash arranged to have it shipped back to them for setting. It is preferable to have the ring sent to the vendor and pay the postage than to have a stone drop shipped.

sean13

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/21/2005 1:51:51 PM
Author:Arikawa
Hi all,

After shopping for a nice asscher diamond, I have found a nice stone from WF. Since they didn't have the stone that was listed on their site, they found a different stone with similar spec/ price range. I asked them to send me a photo and Ideal scope of the stone. They don't have that stone in hand yet so they have to have it shipped to them to take a photos. They mentioned a $40 shipping charge. Is it normal to get charged for the shipping of the stone I'm not even sure if I like it or not?
Arikawa,

I purchased a stone from Whiteflash which they had shipped in from another source (which obviously they have to pay for). Once they got the diamond they ran a sarin and lightscope and had the stone examined by their expert. All the info was then relayed to me. I believe the scenarios with the shipping charge play out like this :

1) Numbers look great, image looks great and the expert approves. You buy the stone and are not charged for shipping.

2) Numbers or lightscope image do not indicate a good performer, or the expert does not approve. Stone is sent back and you are not charged.

3) All numbers look great and the expert approves, but you decide to send it back anyway. Company charges you for the cost of shipping.

It all seemed reasonable to me and I ended up with a great purchase. Hope this helps!

Sean

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/21/2005 4:20:21 PM
Author: sean13
Arikawa,

I purchased a stone from Whiteflash which they had shipped in from another source (which obviously they have to pay for). Once they got the diamond they ran a sarin and lightscope and had the stone examined by their expert. All the info was then relayed to me. I believe the scenarios with the shipping charge play out like this :

1) Numbers look great, image looks great and the expert approves. You buy the stone and are not charged for shipping.

2) Numbers or lightscope image do not indicate a good performer, or the expert does not approve. Stone is sent back and you are not charged.

3) All numbers look great and the expert approves, but you decide to send it back anyway. Company charges you for the cost of shipping.

It all seemed reasonable to me and I ended up with a great purchase. Hope this helps!

Sean
This seems very reasonable to me!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Sean's assessment is excellent.

Here is an expanded version for anyone interested in the big picture...

Diamonds in our inventory (Expert Selection or A Cut Above), come up in a search listed as "In Stock Ready To Ship." They are living in our vault. We have tested/analyzed them and our cut team has given them quality approval.

However, we will gladly bring in a stone from off-site if it appears to be a great fit for your needs. Once on-site the cut team will test and analyze it to be certain of its quality.

1. If that stone meets our quality approval you will not pay for shipping from supplier to us, or from us to you.

2. If that stone does NOT meet our quality approval (it happens once in a while) we will advise you of that and you will not pay for the shipping from/back to supplier.

3. If that stone meets our quality approval but you decide against buying it for your own reasons you will need to pay for the shipping we incurred.

Thanks to all who offered the helpful and accurate advice.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/21/2005 2:32:41 PM
Author: oldminer
In the price range most people are looking to spend on important diamonds, a $40 cost for their chosen expert vendor to ship in, and possibly return, examine and photograph the item seems very reasonable. There is no money being made at the $40 range...for all of this.

Exactly, Dave.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be sure and tell them your looking for one strmrdr would approve of.
They will know what your talking about.
Look in some of the recent asscher threads to find out more info on what that means.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results