shape
carat
color
clarity

She's just not that picky

GrumpyYoungMan

Rough_Rock
Howdy, folks!

I've read the tutorials here, read some forums, but still could use a little guidance. Here's the scoop:

When it comes to my sweetheart, I'm an EXTREMELY fortunate guy in so many ways. Beyond the standard stunning beauty, incredible smile, kind nature, and many, many shared values, she's also incredibly frugal and owns almost zero jewelry, including nothing with stones. She very much wants a diamond, and gets very excited thinking about it, but isn't particularly picky - she just wants something from me. And I completely believe her when she says that.

We've been to a local chain jeweler, just to try some things on and so I can get an idea of what size/style she likes. I predicted white gold solitaire, and that's exactly what she thought was best. Seriously, she had never really contemplated what her ring would look like until we started talking about it. (She had no expectations about the wedding, either, except that it would be in a Mass and that it won't be a big blow-out reception.)

So...she likes solitaires. Size-wise, I was figuring somewhere between .75 & .9 carat. Well, the clerk (naturally) had her try 1 carat first - "way too big," my sweetheart said. She's got very tiny hands. 3/4 was next - still too big, she says! Believe me, my bank account is thanking me! 1/2 carat was just right for her. Great!

Now the fun part - finding the rock. I had originally thought EX cut, D-F color, VVS2 at the absolute lowest clarity rating. I mean, hey, I'm getting a break on size, why not use the extra budget to get maximum quality. However, after reading the tutorials and some other threads, it looks like that's big-time overkill. I don't want to compromise the cut, but it looks like there really won't be much visual difference in a VVS1 compared to a VS2 or even some SI1s, at least according to what I've read. I know everyone's mileage varies. I've seen several threads on here of folks considering stones in the 1.5-2.5 carat range that are in the SI-I levels.

Should I really be that concerned about clarity on a .5 carat stone?

(And yes, I'm looking for an excuse to save money. She said herself she'd rather have a nice but modestly-priced stone and use the money for other things. Expensive jewelry just isn't her thing.)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Welcome!

In order to better assist, can you please specify your (total) budget for the ER and the diamond shape?

cheers--Sharon

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
GrumpyYoungMan|1406931442|3724654 said:
Howdy, folks!

I've read the tutorials here, read some forums, but still could use a little guidance. Here's the scoop:

When it comes to my sweetheart, I'm an EXTREMELY fortunate guy in so many ways. Beyond the standard stunning beauty, incredible smile, kind nature, and many, many shared values, she's also incredibly frugal and owns almost zero jewelry, including nothing with stones. She very much wants a diamond, and gets very excited thinking about it, but isn't particularly picky - she just wants something from me. And I completely believe her when she says that.

We've been to a local chain jeweler, just to try some things on and so I can get an idea of what size/style she likes. I predicted white gold solitaire, and that's exactly what she thought was best. Seriously, she had never really contemplated what her ring would look like until we started talking about it. (She had no expectations about the wedding, either, except that it would be in a Mass and that it won't be a big blow-out reception.)

So...she likes solitaires. Size-wise, I was figuring somewhere between .75 & .9 carat. Well, the clerk (naturally) had her try 1 carat first - "way too big," my sweetheart said. She's got very tiny hands. 3/4 was next - still too big, she says! Believe me, my bank account is thanking me! 1/2 carat was just right for her. Great!

Now the fun part - finding the rock. I had originally thought EX cut, D-F color, VVS2 at the absolute lowest clarity rating. I mean, hey, I'm getting a break on size, why not use the extra budget to get maximum quality. However, after reading the tutorials and some other threads, it looks like that's big-time overkill. I don't want to compromise the cut, but it looks like there really won't be much visual difference in a VVS1 compared to a VS2 or even some SI1s, at least according to what I've read. I know everyone's mileage varies. I've seen several threads on here of folks considering stones in the 1.5-2.5 carat range that are in the SI-I levels.

Should I really be that concerned about clarity on a .5 carat stone?

(And yes, I'm looking for an excuse to save money. She said herself she'd rather have a nice but modestly-priced stone and use the money for other things. Expensive jewelry just isn't her thing.)

Not a bad situation to be in!

Alright - so the goal is a killer stone, right at .5ct that is both eye-clean and colorless.

Here are 6 great options, all of which have a top-notch cut, and come from well-respected vendors (essentially, you'll know you have one of the best diamonds around):

.57ct, F, VS1
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity-new&id=874

.54ct, E, VS2
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12141/

.53ct, E, VS1

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3178629.htm

.53ct, G, VS1
http://www.highperformancediamonds.com/index.php?page=view-id-diamond-infinity-new&id=900

.53ct, F, VVS2
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/12319/

.52ct, G, VS2
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/0.525-g-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104067973045

That will leave you some extra dough to buy the thing Bender really likes...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes a VVS stone in that size or an IF is overkill you will not notice the difference in an eye clean VS2 or SI1 for that matter so why pay for the difference. I think if it were me rather than going for a D or an E and a high clarity I'd surprise her anyway and go for a .60 or a .70 so what you are saving in colour and clarity, spend in getting something a bit bigger than a .50. And no I am not advocating spending a bucket more money, simply putting your budget towards size rather than clarity. When people look at her hand few will ever notice the colour or the clarity provided the stone faces white and is a decent cut but pretty well everyone notices the size.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know what your budget is but I agree with the others. I'd go down in color and clarity and get the larger stone. Many years ago when my husband and I were looking at rings, I too chose a .50 size stone. He surprised me though with a .78 stone and I was thrilled to pieces. I wouldn't have thought it mattered either but once I received that ring, I was pleased as punch with it.

As I said, I don't know what your budget is but if it were me I would consider this stone http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3114567.htm?source=pricescope.. It is much larger than anticipated, top of the line cut, and Whiteflash has a great trade in policy if she ever decides she wants larger. The last two items in that sentence I did not get and it would have made life so much easier if those two boxes had been checked. It was, however, years ago before the internet and online diamond education existed in our world. We hear so many stories here about girls who insist on a two carat stone - you are fortunate that she's not one of them and would be happy with whatever you select for her. I say rock her world!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How much do you want to spend?

What type of setting does she like?

I fully support getting a half ct if that's really what she wants. But if you feel like you want to give her more, had you considered other shapes? Shapes like asshers and cushions face up smaller, so you could get a little bigger CTW without her feeling uncomfortable about it.

GrumpyYoungMan

Rough_Rock
Wow - quick replies! You folks like talking about rocks, I can see! :mrgreen:

When we first started talking about rings, she asked about budget. We talked a little and she said she really didn't want me to spend more than $2500. I was planning on a little more, but she's just so darn practical.

I wasn't really looking for specific stones from anyone - I TRULY appreciate y'all going the extra mile for me on that. Basically I was looking for confirmation that looking for IF or VVS was overkill, likewise with the D-F colors. I'm playing with going a little bigger on the rock than she indicated anyway, since most folks do notice size before anything else, but seriously, she's the type that might not like it if I did that. I mean, she'll still love the ring, but I don't know that it would impress her any more.

Oh yeah, if I didn't mention before, I was just looking at round stones.

GrumpyYoungMan

Rough_Rock
MissGotRocks|1406935251|3724675 said:
We hear so many stories here about girls who insist on a two carat stone - you are fortunate that she's not one of them and would be happy with whatever you select for her. I say rock her world!!

A girl like that and I wouldn't get a long very well.

That being said, I almost think it would be easier to make a decision if a girl was picky about her diamond. I mean, in my situation, I can "get away" with a lot less and still make her very, very happy. I just don't want to feel like I'm sacrificing an important quality, hence my questions about overkill. If it's relatively easy to get an "eye clean" stone at VS2, I'm cool with that. I just didn't know how common that was. I know "eye clean" has different definitions.

For what it's worth, the .75 stone did look quite a bit bigger on her little hand than the .5, and I think she was a bit uncomfortable with something that size. I was planning on going just a little under that, but she talked me out of it. (Can't say it was all that difficult, being the frugal guy I am.)

I am enjoying this search, though. Just a little overwhelming.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"She's just not that picky" is the most unlikely PS thread title ever.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

You state she doesn't wear jewellery. So this is the "one" ring for her?

Then buy her the biggest stone you can. Unless her finger is a size zero, I doubt it will look out of place.

Surprise her.

You won't regret it.

cheers--Sharon

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a gift from you. While I understand wanting to please her, buy her what you would like for her to have. It sounds like you are both pretty much on the same page in terms of size anyway.

You can definitely get an eye clean VS2 or even SI1 stone. I still would not overkill on color or clarity. I love the setting that Niel posted; I too think it showcases a stone to its maximum appeal.

If you narrow your parameters on size, color or clarity let us know. We'd be happy to help you search for a stone. And yes, we are crazy about rocks - that's why we're here - lol!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1406937876|3724688 said:
HI:

You state she doesn't wear jewellery. So this is the "one" ring for her?

Then buy her the biggest stone you can. Unless her finger is a size zero, I doubt it will look out of place.

Surprise her.

You won't regret it.

cheers--Sharon

Thing is, not everyone is just like us.

Here's an example. My friend refuses to even have a diamond engagement ring. Not because she wants colored stones,necessarily, but because she is uncomfortable with "so much sparkle".

Also, she requires the ring to be 1k because she sees no reason to spend so much on jewelry.

So I don't think we should so quickly disregard her feelings about the ring and price.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You mentioned that she didn't want you to spend more than $2500. When she was rejecting the 1ct and 0.75 ct, did she look at the price? Did she look at the price when she decided that 0.5 ct looks best on her? I'm asking since you're thinking of going bigger. Maybe she liked the larger stone but not the price? If so, she will be pleasantly surprised with your larger diamond.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think if you can afford it, try to hit 5.8mm. I just think anything smaller for a solitaire is really overpowered by most settings.

GrumpyYoungMan

Rough_Rock
She didn't ask about prices until she had the .5 one on, FWIW. I think she was more concerned about finding what looked right on her hand, size-wise.

GrumpyYoungMan

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1406940761|3724717 said:
I think if you can afford it, try to hit 5.8mm. I just think anything smaller for a solitaire is really overpowered by most settings.

Good info - thank you!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My other half sounds very similar to the OP's other half - it's not the size of the bling, it's the meaning behind it, which is a great attitude :) although I still wanted to get her a decent size stone!

I was very lucky, I found a CBI 0.67ct F VVS2, which is about 5.7mm - that size seems to look noticeably bigger than a half carat but not as large as a three-quarter carat, so it's right in the middle of keeping me happy (not too small) and her happy (not too large), while the CBI cut ensures maximum performance :) F only seems to have any slightly visible tint in certain flat lights, otherwise it's very white (but not icy blue like a D might be), and VVS2 is all the clarity you need for it to look flawless with the naked eye while being 'mindclean' of any inclusions even under a loupe.

I'm sure she will love whatever you get her, and I'm sure she will get over the size if you go a little larger - although we shouldn't be influenced by others, her friends going 'wow' will very likely encourage her if she is wavering on the size! :tongue: lol

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A .60 or a .65 is going to be just a tiny bit bigger without being vastly larger. I agree with the others a .65 to .70 is going to look just about right in that type of setting even on a small finger. Sometimes if you are not careful stones that are .50 and less can look swamped (particularly if they have huge prongs) in a solitaire setting that is all we are saying.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup. 5.7-5.8 is what I'd shoot for.

1/2 carat is 5.0 and I gotta tell you, those just look overpowered by most settings. Especially affordable ones because they usually aren't built for delicacy. That's why I picked the .71 above with that 6 prong. They are right at 5.75 and the setting is delicate enough to look good with a smaller stone.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
GrumpyYoungMan|1406941074|3724719 said:
She didn't ask about prices until she had the .5 one on, FWIW. I think she was more concerned about finding what looked right on her hand, size-wise.

While she considers 0.75 ct too large, maybe you can go up to 0.65 ct so that it's still larger than 1/2 ct but still not large enough for her to feel uncomfortable wearing it.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
People talk here about having DSS (diamond shrinkage syndrome). It doesn't happen in the shop when you are trying on different sizes, it happens after you've been wearing your diamond for a while and your eyes adjust to the size of the stone to the point where the diamond on your finger no longer appears to be as large as it did at first. I think it is a good idea to go a bit larger, to allow for this, because trust us very soon she will be comfortable and happy with the size. We're not talking large stones here that will blow your budget and not impress your girlfriend.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Great that you know your lady so well. If I were in your position I'd focus on finding a setting that she'll love from a trusted PS vendor then choosing a stone to fit.
Do you know if she prefers 4 or 6 prongs?
A knife edge, square or round?
Flush fit for a wedding ring?
Cathedral?

I'm sure you'll make the perfect choice. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results