shape
carat
color
clarity

Settings for Round with 2 pear sides...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

thirston

Rough_Rock
I would love if you folks were able to give me a little boost in the right direction for finding a setting. My girlfriend has expressed a great deal of interest in the Tiffany and Co. e-ring setting with the Round Brilliant center stone and 2 pear shaped side stones in platinum. I have seen similar settings on several of the Pricescope source websites but, with only photos to go by, I am not sure which may be closest to the 'real' (real only because it's what she likes most, not because I think other brands aren't) deal.

I would like to fit a nice +/- 1.15 ct, f-g, vvs2-vs1, ideal round in the center with two +/- .3 ct pears on the sides in a g-h, vs1-vs2. Of course these numbers and letters could change pending just about anything... but I would like to stay within my 12k budget. Anyhow, stones et. all will be later... 1st things 1st... the setting.

Has anyone here had experience with settings like the above described? I know my gf's likes are a "plain, elegant band" with 3 stones. She likes all 3 stones RB or with 2 side pears as well as an emerald cut main with trillion sides but I know for a fact she likes the Tiffany and Co. settings. About 5 months ago she brought home a business card from their local shop with this inked on the back by the salesman "size 6, plat.R.Lucida, 1.55 G VS1, 2 tr DI .247ct FG VS" and let's not forget this part at the bottom "$25300". I will probably go with round over emerald because I have seen how she likes the twinkle and fire in the rounds we have seen out and about.

OK, enough rambling.... who can point me in the right direction to find a 3 stone setting in platinum that will hold a main round with two side pears that is similar to that offered by Tiffany and Co.? Also, can the side pears generally be upgraded from the usually G-H/SI to something that might better match my main stone? Is the same general 1:2 ratio used when paring a RB and side pears as is the case with all emeralds or all rounds?

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer.
-Thirston

edit: I know I prefer a chandelier setting where the center stone is more prominent and set above the sides slightly. When set at the same height they tend to blend together into one large stone IMO and are not as interesting.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s k-mom''s ring

It''s made by Vatche and she had Michael E redo the prongs.
Wink Jones also carrries Vatche

Lisa1.jpg

Lisa2.jpg

thirston

Rough_Rock
K-mom''s ring is beautiful, and I like the new prongs she had added. It looks to me to be very similar to the pear from Tiffany that we like. I''m sorry to hear about all the troubles she had with it. I love the new prongs. I saw some photos of another ring in the eye candy section a few nights ago that had a similar look however the prongs actually split at the stone to look like two little claws on each corner, I really liked that one.

http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/diamond/rings/engagement_fancy_ring.asp?ring=pearsides&

So I guess that JulieN and MrsSalvo are trying to tell me that the Vatche ring is similar to the one I seek? Have you seen the T&Co. rings as well so you can give a personal ''have seen it'' opinion? I''ve spent countless hours over the last week browsing through the eye-candy section as well as others here trying to get inspiration and ideas but alas a picture only says so much. I''ll be heading around town this week to see if any of the B&M shops have those Vatche or similar settings in stock so I can see them in person.

Are there other options in addition to the Vatche that are similar? Would a custom setting make any sense in this case? I could have some small etching done or have the prongs changed etc... but stay with the same essential design. Would work like that cost me an arm and a leg or could it be similar to the cost of a Vatche?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never seen the vatche or tiffany ring in person but Kaleigh has the 3 stone tiffany ring you are describing. The Vatche seems very similar but I would suspect you can find others who make it too. If there are specific changes you want to make you might consider going custom. Give a few places a call for a quote, sometimes custom is more expensive but many times it''s very reasonable.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have that ring from Tiffany, see my avatar.

thirston

Rough_Rock
I love that Tiffany ring as does my gf. I contacted WF about having my ring made and to ask about a couple of their stones for the center. I am amazed at the speed by which Bob responded to my e-mail and how much help he has been thus far.

I described the look of the ring and sent pictures, and he has already called me twice in the same day with pricing and info on available stones.

What would you ladies think if your man got down on one knee with the above pictured Tiffany (really Tiffany inspired) ring with claw prongs covering this http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1105210.htm# stone? I'm really not looking for a "yes" or "no" to the BIG question from you all but I would love to know what your take is on aesthetics of the proposed design. The ring would have split claw prongs and be very simillar to http://www.tiffany.com/images/diamond/zoom/engagement_fancy_pearsides1.jpg

Also, what ratio do you think is appropriate for the side stones to the center to keep the same proportional look? Let's assume I am going to use the 1.16 ct center stone? Would .15 on each side be about right or should I get closer to the 1:2 ratio and use .3's?

Thanks a ton in advance for any help.
-Thirston

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the ring will be smashing. It will be beautiful, classic, and timeless. I know WF will do a great job. I too have worked with Bob and he was always quick to return my emails and phone calls.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well of course I love it and know that WF will do an awesome job!!!!
1.gif

thirston

Rough_Rock
Thank you two for your quick responses. One Question that wasn''t answered (no biggie) was about the ratio of the stones to one another.

Kaleigh, without me getting too personal and asking about exact sizes of ct. on your ring, would you tell me what approximate proportion the pears are to the RB? Do you think I should set a pair of .3''s (.6 total cw to make for a 1:2 ratio) with that 1.16ct. center? Larger? Smaller? I know some of you ladies will of course say larger is better :) but I''m trying to replicate the proportion of the T&Co. and Vatche settings. I want the center stone to stand out but would like the pears to nicely compliment it.

Thanks again.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi thirston, welcome to Pricescope!

Do I have experience with this setting? Hmmmmmm, how much time do you have?
11.gif
But that's for another day.
9.gif
I'm sure if you read the threads on my experience you'll get the picture.
10.gif

In proportion to the stones you are contemplating, mine are nearly equal. For example, my ring is .25/1.02/.25. Side by side, I think they would look nearly identical, as there isn't much difference in the proportions you are considering, .30/1.16/.30. If you look closely at the pics in the Michael E thread, you will be able to see a very close comparison, size-wise, to what you are looking for.

Kaleigh's beautiful Tiffany ring has completely different proportions and considerable size differences from my ring (and the one you're considering) so I don't feel you'll get the entire picture you're looking for as far as proportion goes.

My personal take is that if you have the money for a Tiffany setting, great. It looks like the DVatche, for your size center stone, is up to $3,400!
6.gif
That's over 20% more than when I bought mine!! And that's just for the ering. The wedding ring is separate if you want to get it as a set. Keep in mind the Tiffany will cost much much more, and you still have the stone to purchase. I recall you mentioning that your budget is $12k and that may be cutting it pretty close, at least for the DVatche. In all honesty, and this is just my personal take on things based on my experience, I would not pay for another designer setting. That said, I'd either have it custom made or settle for a non-branded setting, and have it modified. My ring is living proof that it can be done, and done well. But I took a branded setting and modified it out of necessity. I just couldn't live with the first makeover, and certainly couldn't live with it in its original state either. Till this day, I could not be happier.

Are you discussing a custom setting with Whiteflash, or a modification of the DVatche?

Either way, good luck with your search and with your decision. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about my setting.

thirston

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the "welcome" kmom.

Yes, actually I have been discussing a custom setting with WF. I''ll pick the stones then have the ring built to suit. It will be inspired by the Vatche and T&Co. but will have some minor changes like claw prongs added.

I can''t believe the price is so reasonable to have a wax mold made and then a ring poured vs. buying name brand. I won''t have a flashy inscription inside the band but I think I can live without that :)

Researching and then ultimately buying the ring is so nerve-racking and I already have knots in my stomach over the whole ''poping the question'' thing. Ohh yea, and asking her parents (they''re divorced and gf is closer to mom, so I feel like I owe them each a talk) before hand.

Thank you guys for your help. This is a fun and exciting time in my life but it also makes me sick (with Love I hope) at times :) I just have to remember to breath and I''ll be fine I guess. Whoever invented marriage and weddings..."ptewy on them". What ever happened to just bonking a woman over the head with my club and dragging her back to the cave *I''m just kidding ladies, please let me live*
3.gif

Thirston

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thirston my center stone is 2.36 and the sides are .68 total weight. HTH.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Here is a very pretty Leon Mege setting. I expect it would look beautiful with any size center stone.
Blu

mege round pears.jpg

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Thirston, relax & have fun. The ultimate commitment is the marriage, not the ring per se, so you should be enjoying this process of stone/ring hunting. Your girl is very lucky that you are putting this much thought into what she wants.
36.gif
I think you are wise to put your money into a custom setting vs. a designer brand. But that's just MHO. You'll be in great hands with Whiteflash from what all the pleased customers here say.

Date: 8/5/2005 9:32:51 AM
Author: kaleigh
Thirston my center stone is 2.36 and the sides are .68 total weight. HTH.
Kaleigh, please share cuz I'm feeling like a dork today...what is "HTH?"
33.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha Kmom and twinkletoes HTH stands for: Hope this helps!!!!!
3.gif
2.gif

thirston

Rough_Rock
Well, I have found these stones to use in the ring. Do you all think the ratio of center to sides is alright? I tried to stick with the 1:2 aspect with a 1.2ct center and .3 pears on each side. Any input?
ac.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My input:

Your real name better be Ryan and you betterbe the dude sitting right across the basement from me
23.gif

36.gif

Looks GREAT.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Thirston, I think that''s an outstanding group of sparklies! Now please get that ring going, we want to see the progress of the custom setting.
36.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope WF can make a more cost-effective setting themselves. I don''t forsee us paying 3500 for just the setting for what we are working on (ironically the SAME thing!)

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
ame, I didn''t realize you were having a similar setting made. when did I miss that?

I think it''s wise to consider a custom made one similar vs. paying for the designer setting. But we live and learn.

drkewl

Rough_Rock
Just out of curiosity, how much did Whiteflash quote you on that ring thirston?

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
mrssalvo, I wish you had asked me for my permission before posting MY ring pics.
11.gif
Sure, I will accept your apology (I feel it coming), but please don't do it again.
9.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2005 10:57:45 PM
Author: Kamuelamom
mrssalvo, I wish you had asked me for my permission before posting MY ring pics.
11.gif
Sure, I will accept your apology (I feel it coming), but please don''t do it again.
9.gif

9.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/9/2005 10:12:25 PM
Author: Kamuelamom
ame, I didn''t realize you were having a similar setting made. when did I miss that?

I think it''s wise to consider a custom made one similar vs. paying for the designer setting. But we live and learn.
Yea, my thread got buried. I have a 6mm round and I was trying to figure out what size pears to go with. I am waiting on a quote from WF to see if this is even financially feasable right now.

We pretty much know that if we can''t swing this now and can upgrade to a 1.15-1.25 size center with that money (jeweler allows a trade up and for a small bit more we can really go whole hog for the bigger center), that we''ll do it later with the bigger center stone so it looks more blinging and more "appropriate" like your''s and Kaleigh''s...

Definitely not going designer setting though.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Ame, a 6mm round with the sides will be plenty appropriate and blingdiggity girl! You will be pleasantly surprised how much bling a 3 stone will produce. You may or may not feel like you need to upgrade later. Honestly for me, I have a 1 ct center. For my petite stature (4'11") and small fingers (sz 4.5) I don't think I'll ever upgrade or wear a bigger stone. Sure, with all the lovely sparklies here to inspire us, it's nice to dream about or imagine, but I think I have plenty of bling for my personal taste. Conbined with the band, OMG, it's so sparkly!!

Call me crazy, but I just love and appreciate my ring soooooo much that I have a hard time thinking of upgrading. If there weren't such a story behind my getting my ring in the first place, maybe it would be easier for me to think about it, but I'm such a sentimental person that I think about passing this down to my daughter someday, just as it is.
2.gif
Now that I got the prongs right, it's just perfect for me.

Can you point me to your original link? Also, what size fingers do you have?

PS - Apology to Thirston, did not mean to hijack this thread.
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results