shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting vs. Semi-mount

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
Everyone on PS uses the term "setting." Last year, I visited Helzberg (where I received my engagement ring 3 yrs ago pre-PS :sick: ) I asked to see "settings" as I currently had/have a solitaire, but may like a setting with diamonds. The salesgirl haughtily answered, "do you mean SEMI-MOUNTS? If so, they are over here." She was so arrogant and treated me as if I was an ignorant piece of trash for using the word setting instead of semi-mount. Is there a difference? I am under the impression they mean the same thing. If there is a difference, what is it?

It still makes me mad lol. It wasn't just the words, but mostly she just said it with such a superior attitude. Next time I go visit (for rhodium plating, sizing, whatever) I would like to ask to see the SETTINGS, and just hope that someone "corrects" me. Then I will say NO, I mean settings, not semi-mounts :cheeky: That is, if everyone agrees setting is the correct terminology. If not, I guess I will use the term semi-mount.

Something triggered the memory, that is why after a year or so, I am just now asking :cheeky:

resident

Rough_Rock
From Gemology Online.

Semi-mount: A jewelry setting that has the side stones already mounted, but which contains an empty set of prongs which are intended to mount a diamond center stone that the customer selects separately.

So I guess that semi-mount is a subset of settings, pertaining to those with side stones but with the centre stone missing. So you are both right, but she is just rude. Sometimes I wonder if these people actually want to sell anything...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
She was just rude. Settings have a broader definition which includes semi-mounts but I don't see anything wrong with using the word "setting."

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should have asked her what the difference was just to see what see could come up with.

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
Ahhh. Ok thanks resident, mrssalvo, and tyty333. Well, now I know :wink2: If someone rudely "corrects" me I will ask what the difference is, just to see what they know :roll:

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Mountings, settings, semi-mounts....terminology that hopefully all jewelry salespeople would understand. You had an unfortunate encounter with someone who had a bad attitude :evil: It wasn't you.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree, she was just being rude. In the jewelry business 'setting' is also used to describe the assembly labor, and sometimes is used to describe the component that holds the actual stone but it's all pretty specialized usage. There are some specialized terms used to describe people who behave like that too.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
denverappraiser|1302987475|2897973 said:
I agree, she was just being rude. In the jewelry business 'setting' is also used to describe the assembly labor, and sometimes is used to describe the component that holds the actual stone but it's all pretty specialized usage. There are some specialized terms used to describe people who behave like that too.
:bigsmile:

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
denverappraiser|1302987475|2897973 said:

:appl: :appl: I totally agree! Haha. Thank you and thanks modified brilliant.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results