shape
carat
color
clarity

setting overload

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilikesparkles

Rough_Rock
I have started to look at settings for a stone that is about .75, G, SI2 and I am feeling overwhelmed. I would like to stay around $500. I know I want the setting and band to be thin 2.0 - 2.5mm for a more delicate/dainty look. I was thinking just a white gold solitaire Tiffany type setting (usually the most inexpensive found on all of the websites like Whiteflash, James Allen, etc). The problem I am finding is that I only like the expensive solitaire settings like the REAL Tiffany or the more simple Mark Morrell settings. They look more like they are softly hugging the diamond, whereas the cheaper ones look kind of hard and pointy. I think it is that I like more rounded smooth looking prongs. Are there cheaper options with this look out there? Any ideas?

Then, the other part of me whats a more decorative band and setting. I found a very pretty set at a B&M store for a good price with itty bitty diamonds on the top and the two sides. My concern there is that I am very active and I do not want to have to worry about the little decorative stones falling out or attracting dirt.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

hopelesslylost

Rough_Rock
Have you thought about palladium? You should do your own research before deciding, but it''s a lower cost alternative :)

Here are some Pd solitaires starting at $140. Also do a search on previous Pd threads here that have some more good info.

ilikesparkles

Rough_Rock
HopelesslyLost: No, I am not familiar with palladium. It sounds like something worth looking into though.

Diamond Seeker: Wow! That is a LOT of information in that thread. I loved so many of the rings in there. I feel like it gave me even more to think about. Eeek! I was surprised that I liked the Israel Levy ring too. Too bad it was $350 in your post, but now it is $800 on their website. Have gold prices really more than doubled in the past couple years? I love the look of your rings--very classic and pretty. They had caught my attention a while ago when lurking.

I think what I need is a Tiffany type replica in palladium...
33.gif

So many choices... I don''t know how I am ever going to make up my mind...

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

ilikesparkles

Rough_Rock
Shimmer: The excel version is nice and the low price is certainly helpful. I do like it, but I think the basket is more |__| shaped than I would like. I wanted more of a \_/ shape. Part of the problem here may be that my stone is on the smaller side. I guess if it were bigger the prongs would have to come out more giving it more the shape I like.

Gypsy: The solstice appears to have more of a \_/ shape, but the stones they show it with are 2+ carats! I''m concerned my .75 would make it look too |__|. Now I did really like the James Allen setting in the pricescope link you sent me. The poster''s prongs were really soft and round, but then on the James Allen site they look totally different (straight and pointy). I love the soft, rounded look. It makes me wonder too...if James Allen was able to get the softer prongs on this setting then couldn''t they do it on their Tiffany setting too... Hmmmm....

In any case, all of your posts have helped so much. I think I am getting better at pinpointing what it is I actually want. Sometimes I feel like I''m starting to get too picky. With all of the options out there, its a little overwhelming, but baby steps.. right?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
One thing to keep in mind about Palladium, most jewelers aren''t real familar with it yet. You want someone who knows how to work with it.
28.gif

ilikesparkles

Rough_Rock
Hi Ellen. I am still looking into palladium. I am not sold on it for that reason--it seems kind of...unknown.

I was just looking at some of the Winfield settings and I think I actually like the Bombe 6 prong. Seen here: http://www.freecz.com/images/store/wst16320607_b.jpg

Does anyone know of any other images out there of this setting? Or something similar?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2009 10:59:09 AM
Author: ilikesparkles
Hi Ellen. I am still looking into palladium. I am not sold on it for that reason--it seems kind of...unknown.

I was just looking at some of the Winfield settings and I think I actually like the Bombe 6 prong. Seen here: http://www.freecz.com/images/store/wst16320607_b.jpg

Does anyone know of any other images out there of this setting? Or something similar?
Maybe these will help?

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/waiting-is-sooooo-hard.77306/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/anyone-have-pics-of-6-prong-stuller-solstice.7536/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/just-purchased-this-solstice-setting-does-anyone-have-pics-with-a-1-5-2-carat-diamond.72270/

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hey! I just thought of another tiffany replica setting, found here

ilikesparkles

Rough_Rock
Hi Shimmer--I really like that Tiffany replica, but it says on their website that it is only for 1+ carat stones. Mine will be more like .75 carats. Plus the price in palladium is great. But it appears to not be an option for me.

Then I started looking at the Stuller settings (I think from one of Ellen''s links). There are so many options on their site. I don''t like that the prices aren''t listed. Does anyone know about what the cost is for a Solstice Solitare there? I don''t really understand how their website works. When it says something like ''15520615 / 14K White / .50 CT=05.20 MM''... does that mean the setting is intended for a 1/2 carat stone and the band width is 5.20mm? If I ordered a setting from Stuller and a diamond from James Allen or Whiteflash, how would I get it set?

I really like the way the ring in this post turned out https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finalized-the-order-today-now-nervously-waiting.116791/. However, when I look at that setting on James Allen, the prongs look totally different to me and I do not like it. The poster said he did not ask for anything special as far as the prongs and setting are concerned. Am I seeing things or is there a pretty dramatic difference between the two (poster''s pictures vs. James Allen pictures)? Any ideas on why there is a difference? If the James Allen prongs all look like the posters when you get the ring, I would probably just order from them.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2009 6:20:30 PM
Author: ilikesparkles
Hi Shimmer--I really like that Tiffany replica, but it says on their website that it is only for 1+ carat stones. Mine will be more like .75 carats. Plus the price in palladium is great. But it appears to not be an option for me.

Then I started looking at the Stuller settings (I think from one of Ellen''s links). There are so many options on their site. I don''t like that the prices aren''t listed. Does anyone know about what the cost is for a Solstice Solitare there? I don''t really understand how their website works. When it says something like ''15520615 / 14K White / .50 CT=05.20 MM''... does that mean the setting is intended for a 1/2 carat stone and the band width is 5.20mm? If I ordered a setting from Stuller and a diamond from James Allen or Whiteflash, how would I get it set?

I really like the way the ring in this post turned out https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finalized-the-order-today-now-nervously-waiting.116791/. However, when I look at that setting on James Allen, the prongs look totally different to me and I do not like it. The poster said he did not ask for anything special as far as the prongs and setting are concerned. Am I seeing things or is there a pretty dramatic difference between the two (poster''s pictures vs. James Allen pictures)? Any ideas on why there is a difference? If the James Allen prongs all look like the posters when you get the ring, I would probably just order from them.
You will need a jeweler to access the Stuller site for cost and buy on your behalf, its a B2B but at least you will see what''s out there, even Adwar.com is a casting company and a jeweler will need to buy on your behalf.

If you send James Allen the pictures and request that it look like it, I''m sure they will oblige.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results