shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting help, part Deux....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AndrewinNYC

Rough_Rock
I posted a question the other day looking for help in finding and determining a setting type with four prongs that I was having trouble with. I have since found out that it is a basket setting. So part one of the search has been solved. Now I am having trouble finding this in combination with a channel setting ring or a bead set ring. Would this only be something found in a customer engagment ring? Has anyone run across this anywhere? Anyone have any suggestions vis a vis customer ring makers?

Thanks!

Andrew

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you mean custom?

it is not truly a from scratch custom job, but you are unlikely to find it on places such as Blue Nile. best to talk to a full-service jeweler.

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
Were none of the images we posted in the other thread close to what you''re looking for?

AndrewinNYC

Rough_Rock
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1925

THis is the closest we have found, but we don't necessarily like the rough antique lines. We like the setting and the band width especially. Is this something I can just bring into a custom jeweler and say "same general idea, less antique-y looking"? I should note we are looking at round settings, which from what I'm told, can be done in this type setting...

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
I''m assuming it''s the milgrain that you feel is "antique" looking. In a custom design, that would be easily omitted. Best advice if you''re going custom would be to gather as many photographs of settings you like with details of what you like about each etc. and be sure to show and explain them to your designer. The more detail you can explain your design in, the more likely it''ll come out looking how you want.

Good luck.
1.gif

AndrewinNYC

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice. It''s not just the milgrain, but the endges fo the ring seem a bit rough (not as sharp, more antique like and rounded). It really gives it a handmade look, that we''re not sure how we feel about. Thanks for your advice!

AndrewinNYC

Rough_Rock
Sorry GG, I thought that the old one was dead and missed the more recent postings
7.gif

Those two that are towards the end are getting very close. I think that the setting is a little thicker than what we want, but very close. My guess (or hunch) is that in order to get that setting in combination with a simply bead set band, I''m going to have to go the custom route. We want a thin, flat band with a simple beading along it (or channel, as long as it is rather clean and simple and the diamonds aren''t stand outs indivudally).

Thanks again for all the advice, sorry for the forum faux pas

girlie-girl

Brilliant_Rock
No faux pas... I had to dig a page or so down before I found your original thread. I thought you maybe hadn't seen the last images posted which was why I linked it again in this thread.
1.gif

Hopefully with all the pictures we've shown and the images you still have in your mind's eye, you'll be able to put together the perfect setting! Keep us all posted and be sure to share pics when you decide.

Happy hunting!
10.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 2:06:26 PM
Author:AndrewinNYC
I posted a question the other day looking for help in finding and determining a setting type with four prongs that I was having trouble with. I have since found out that it is a basket setting. So part one of the search has been solved. Now I am having trouble finding this in combination with a channel setting ring or a bead set ring. Would this only be something found in a customer engagment ring? Has anyone run across this anywhere? Anyone have any suggestions vis a vis customer ring makers?

Thanks!

Andrew
Mark Morrell is one of my favourite custom ring designers. The poster named gastro recently had a 4-prong setting with bead-set diamonds on the shank made by Mark. Here is a link to his thread with the photos: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-mark-morrell-4-prong-with-bead-setting.85331/

lisamarie

Shiny_Rock
This doesn't have the head you were looking for but is this closer to the type of band you want? you'll just have to show your jeweler pictures of what you have in mind. hopefully they can make it for you.

ritani endless love:

endless452.jpg

AndrewinNYC

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the photos, they are getting closer. Here is one that is the closest so far. Low setting, basket-ish, thin band...Although I think someone said they wouldn't buy a setting from these folks. ANy ideas of other places with a similar setting? Why wouldn't someone buy a setting from Abazias?

http://www.abazias.com/database/NewEngagementInfo.asp?stock=ENG-SS-99-10908

I think the Ritani one is also close, but she doesn't want much on the ring and it gets fancy around the basket.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results